US church blames Woolwich suspected terror killing on UK acceptance of gay people

1. To be honest, these days i just assume the westboro baptist church blames every disaster on the gays. Barely even news anymore

1. was going to say just that

2. It’s their default setting. No false positive left unchecked.
      Had lousy day at work = Gays
      Car failed MOT = Gays
      Stubbed toe = Gays
      Toast landed butter side down = Gays
      We’re apparently like Al Qaida, gremlins, lousy weather, plate tectonics and poltergeists rolled into one.
      It’s like listening to the crazy guy with the sandwich board who stands on the roundabout shouting at strangers – oh wait…

1. de Villers 23 May 2013, 9:30am

It is too easy and lazy for Pink News to repeat the tired old statements of these blinkered people. For every disaster or terrible incident, the response of this group is the same. There is no new news in these articles.

1. The easiest and laziest way to report this is: “The nutters from WBC are blaming gays for everything”. End-of-story.

2. But dont you think that if our gay willies can do all this. Shouldnt we as the whole world harness all this power for the good of man kind. I open my pants every day and say hey gay willie, what have you done today. I am amazed, although all bad, what he has achieved whilst I have been alsleep. By the power of gay willie!

3. Oh the POWEEER! *raises fists to the heavens*…It makes me wanna go “Mwahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!”

4. Oh the POWEEEER! *raises fists to the heavens*…kinda makes me wanna go “Mwahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa!”

3. There are 40 members of this Church, most of them from one family. They spout out the same, entirely un-novel line every time something happens. It’s not even vaguely “news”. Indifference would be so much better a tactic, Pink News.

1. Don’t shoot the messenger!

2. darkmoonman 23 May 2013, 8:16pm

See what happens with such a small gene pool? Nutters, every one of them.

3. darkmoonman 23 May 2013, 8:17pm

See what happens within such a small gene pool? Nutters, every one of them.

2. Can’t everyone just ignore these people until they disappear? They stick around like Internet trolls because they get so much attention.

3. whitesquirrel 23 May 2013, 2:03am

Lots of people did good deeds today as well
    was that down to ‘god’ cos of gays too?

4. It’s not a ‘terror attack’. Why is everything called a ‘terror attack’ these days? It was a hate crime, a cold-blooded murder between people with very different opinions about a situation. One saying ‘support our troops’ read by the others as ‘support the murders of millions of Muslim civilians abroad, who never did anything to anyone’. If a gay man is murdered in the street in a gay hate attack, it’s not called ‘terrorism’, and neither is this. It’s a hate crime, a murder of someone for who they are. At least the culprits are in custody and will be charged with murder if they survive their wounds. If they’re charged with an ‘act of terror’ then this country really has gone to the dogs. It has nothing to do with the wider world and everything to do with these two men who think ‘murder is the answer’. It’s not.

1. ‘…Why is everything called a ‘terror attack’ these days?…’

well, for start it helps to shift loads more of newspapers but more importantly it creates atmosphere where more draconian laws restricting freedoms and human rights can be introduce by those in power

2. I think it’s called a terror attack because it wasn’t simply a murder. It was a premeditated attack designed for maximum exposure to create a general sense of fear in (terrorise) as many people as possible; for an ideological/political purpose. Hence, the extreme level of violence, they actually waited for the police and encouraged people to film them. It was clearly designed to make headlines across the wider world to send a message.

I do agree that the term is somewhat overused by governments and media and this is a pretty borderline case. It does, however, seem to meet the criteria of terrorism.

1. Fair enough there’s no one single definition of terrorism, but this was a targeted attack, not indiscriminate violence against random people.

I think people across the UK will feel disgusted by this act, but not terrorised.

3. It is a terrorist attack, are you stupid?

4. How is terrorism is not a form of hate crime? How does the fact that their hatred is aimed at ” … the average guy – like you – and your children” prevent them also being described as terrorists?

Terrorism is always defined from one perspective – at the other end they are called “freedom fighters” or “political activists”. As a member of the society being attacked, I have no problem viewing these men as terrorists.

Equivocating over whether the actions meet your unspecified personal definition of terrorism doesn’t alter the fact that these individuals were acting in a manner consonant with terrorism: they perpetrated a graphic act aimed at drawing public attention to their political cause.

If those are indeed the facts then personally I’d be appalled if they *weren’t* with terrorism offences.

5. most of the murdering of millions of muslim civilians abroad is done by other muslims.

5. Right…so now the Christian God is using Muslim extremists to do his work…the Crusaders must be turning over in their graves.

1. And it therefore follows that the true god is Allah, and those WBC crew had better quickly change their allegiance before Allah comes after them!

2. Allah is just the Arabic word meaning God, its actually the same god that Christians follow.

6. If this attack was inspired by equality in politics, surely the attackers would have attacked a pro-equality politician, and not a soldier. This goes to show that the attack was done in the name of the negative attitude Muslims have with the war in Afghanistan, and nothing to do with same sex marriage.
    Although I don’t for a moment, believe that most Muslims support the same sex marriage bill, they do not. But this terrorist attack was obviously unrelated.

1. My Muslim MP voted in favour. Not sure how devout he is, but he is a good man of conscience.

7. LOL i was wondering when they would appear — i knew they would say it…

8. Vermin like the WBC thrive on the oxygen of publicity – why are we giving it to them?

9. “US church blames Woolwich suspected terror killing on UK acceptance of gay people”

That’s bizarre, most rational people on the other hand might be more likely to blame it on the UK government’s appeasement of religious extremists – many of whom happen to be anti-equal marriage. I mean, why did the government give a very vocal minority of religoius bigots the privilege of a ‘get out’ clause allowing them to choose not to host same sex marriages in places of worship in the first place?!

10. Is it even worth reporting anything these people do. It’s really not news, its getting very very old.

It just gives them the unwarranted publicity that they desperately crave!

11. It is probably just as well that these loons are not allowed to set foot on British soil. They wouldn’t last very long if they did.

1. Yeah, their God would probably smite them dead soon as look at ‘em for setting foot in Sodoma Central! LOL!

12. casparthegood 23 May 2013, 8:56am

Could PN not just set up a template with “WBC at it it again” or similar ? I am getting sick of seeing their pathetic fairy tales being trotted out trying to link Gays to every damm thing that happens in the world

13. That There Other David 23 May 2013, 9:18am

So effing predictable.

14. Don Harrison 23 May 2013, 10:02am

Westboro Baptist Church is a church which is short of Christainity

15. Dear PN,
    Please stop reporting on what the WBC does as noone takes them seriously,
    Everyone knows they’re just hate filled homophobic bigots and we shouldn’t be giving them attention!

16. If you’re a kid thinking about coming out and you read this site you will get a very negative view of the world.

I am beginning to hate this site

1. When reading the negative stories and points of view, IMHO they’ll also get a healthy perspective on what people think about the likes of the WBC, and learn information and arguments to help them defend themselves against such nonsense. There are links to archived articles that frequently help balance the negatives.

On the positive side they’ll also see the progress and detailed reportage of the equal marriage successes in this country and elsewhere, which is poorly represented in mainstream media, again arming them against bigots.

There is plenty of hatred in the world, but most LGBT kids will be fully aware of that before they come to read PN so I don’t believe PN will change their view of the world for the worse. The facts of life may often be unpleasant, but knowledge of those facts is the best weapon those kids can have.

17. So according to these freaks – God got together with Mohamad and decided that they could pass of this utter horror on US – What a lot of old Bollox!

18. And just like the evil lunatic islamists that murdered the British soldier, the christian WBC crave media attention to spread their religious word virus.

19. Why is this news? Please stop reporting what these bunch of lunatics have to say, you’re only giving them legitimacy. The only way to deal with people like this is to ignore their vitriol.

20. Lawl I have no problem with religion, just don’t disturb mine ;)

21. Brett Gibson 23 May 2013, 11:28am

WHY DO YOU KEEP REPORTING ON THESE PEOPLE!!!???

This is not news man. I’ve never been more bored in my life!! Come on they blame everything on the gays. Until they blame something on something else, lets just assume, eh?

22. Wesbro no more speaks for Christians than those murderers speak for Muslims or any other group beyond psychopaths.

To blame gay people is predictable and pathetic and it doesn’t speak for those who us Christians and not, who value and love our gay community.

I’m in agreement with those who say giving these nutcases publicity is both playing into their hands, and strengthening their bigoted nonsense.

23. WBC used to be funny, now they’re just pathetic.

24. Gloria Gayer 23 May 2013, 12:01pm

“Gays blame Westboro Baptist church”. An aggressive member of the Homosexual Community commented: “God hates Botherers”.

25. Didn’t realize they believed that Muslim extremists were god. They are even more whacked than I thought.

26. Barry William Teske 23 May 2013, 2:57pm

LMFAO!
    The only people the Westboro idiots can blame anything on is themselves.
    They are seething in self contempt, self hatred, and total lack of self responsibility. And like any abuser, they fail to acknowledge change begins within.
    God Is Your Terrorist? Really?
    Look who’s the kettle now hey Westboro?

27. Barry William Teske 23 May 2013, 3:52pm

LMFAO!
    The only people the Westboro idiots can blame anything on is themselves.
    God Is Your Terrorist? Really?
    Look who’s calling the kettle black now hey Westboro?

28. Guys….please don’t give these disgusting people any free press.

Really…they are not worth the mention.

29. Sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick!
    Sick sick sick sick sick sick Sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick!sick sick sick sick sick sick!

30. Entirely predictable – I am not even shocked or angry with them any more. Just tired.

1. *Hugs*

31. Who took all the ketchup? 23 May 2013, 7:59pm

I dont think that Westboro is homophobic. They hate gays, they arent afraid of them. Theres a difference people.

1. darkmoonman 23 May 2013, 8:23pm

Technically true, but who would recognize “homoapextheia”?

32. darkmoonman 23 May 2013, 8:17pm

See what happens with such a small gene pool? Nutters, every one of them.

33. phil armond 23 May 2013, 8:24pm

Actually, the murder in the street was due to human beings hating each other just as WBC does, spread hatred amongst people. They are totally irrelevant.

34. Westboro will bring peace by uniting the world…. in our hatred of them.

35. Philip Holloway 23 May 2013, 9:35pm

I was baptised into the Baptist Church in the UK many moons ago. I had been a member of the church I was baptised in for some years before I moved and had to change to a nearer church. I later realized I was also Gay and a Christian I was so confused I tried to commit suicide about 5 times. No one knew I had done it, they just thought I had been ill. (I’m disabled, so it was normal, anyway). I have moved back to the area I was baptised in, applied for my membership to be transferred back. THEY know I’m Gay. I was accepted last Sunday. So not ALL Baptist churches are like WBC. Thank GOD!

1. Philip Holloway 23 May 2013, 9:46pm

If God hated the UK for accepting Gay people, why not take us all?

Another question, what about all the gay animals in the wild, what was their sin?

1. I think the argument goes that they don’t have souls and therefore can’t commit sins. Don’t take my word for it, I’m an atheist :P

36. I’d have thought they would have been busy saying God smite Oklahoma City with a twister because it let a gay couple live there!

37. This is about the most stunning bit of bollocks I have ever read! :)

38. With all due respect, Westboro, you’re beginning to bore the hell out of me!

39. Hooold on, every christian i have ever met has explained to me that bad things happen in the world because God does NOT intervene, he just lets the world run it’s course.

So explain to me again, how this man is gods intervention? Surely that would be similar to removing this mans fee will?

All this, despite the fact the man SAID ON CAMERA, that these attacks were revenge for muslims being murdered…

WBC, you’re just making yourselves look like fools now…

1. Midnighter 25 May 2013, 1:51pm

Excellent points. A couple of things though…

If you’ve been told that by Christians, they clearly haven’t read their Bible. It includes many references to the fact that God created evil and sends evil to do his bidding.

Isaiah 45:7 “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.”

1 Samuel 16:14 “But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him.”

There are LOADS of examples of each of these but I won’t bore you with them here.

The second issue is that you are expecting logic and use of facts from people whose entire belief system revolves around cherry picking facts, ignoring the inconvenient and making up fantastical rationalisations to tie the whole thing together.

Honestly, there is little point arguing with people like this; they are in essence brainwashed. Any ideas other than those with which they’ve been indoctrinated are taken as a threat to defend against.