UK: Ugandan rapist who claimed he was at risk of homophobic persecution deported

1. Good. He’s a rapist

1. Midnighter 23 May 2013, 8:25pm

Right. And since he raped a woman it seems reasonable to assume he was just trying to cynically manipulate our liberal immigration system with the whole gay claim, which is only to the detriment of genuine LGBT claimants. In any case, no tears shed here either.

1. The fact that he was convicted of rape doesn’t necessarily mean he is a rapist. You falsely assume that the criminal justice system works or makes sense. It doesn’t.

And the British immigration system is not “liberal”.

1. He was a rapist! I should know its me that it happened to :(

2. Patrick Mc Crossan 23 May 2013, 9:37pm

3. Midnighter 23 May 2013, 9:50pm

Technically true but highly unlikely. I believe the odds are that the justice system got it right, unless you can convince me otherwise:

Was his admission on Facebook fabricated? Proof?
          Was his victim lying? Proof?
          Does the justice system get it wrong every time? Can you prove this?
          Did it get it wrong this time? Can you prove this?
          Can you perhaps prove that the probability of an incorrect verdict is >= 50%?

For you to insist on there being a perfect justice system before accepting the validity of my conclusions is to fall foul of the ‘nirvana fallacy’.

1. I did not say the system gets it wrong every time or gets it right every time. I simply said that the fact somebody has been convicted of something does not mean they are guilty.

There are very VERY few trials that, given a different set of lawyers, more creative lawyers, more expensive lawyers, a different assessing psychiatrist (most people in prison are mentally ill), a different judge, etc. would not have gone the other way.

2. JohnE I think you miss my point – as a corollary of your claims that the conviction in this case is unsound you will be able to prove that one of the points I listed are true (i.e. this is necessary to throw doubt upon my conclusion). Otherwise I have no reason to believe that the justice system doesn’t work as you you claim, so I am satisfied that my conclusion stands.

Your new point suggesting that money can buy trial results is again without factual basis : again, why should I believe you?

4. friday jones 23 May 2013, 10:51pm

JohnE, perhaps you missed the bit about him confessing to his victim on Facebook.

5. John E

I think it’s totally disrespectful to say that victims such as myself are lying (as this seems to be what you basically saying). I can assure you in this case this man was guilty. If you read this article in the newspaper it was printed in you will see a diary of the trial.

It was no easy thing to go through! Have you ever had to give evidence or been a victim of a violent crime?

2. Patrick Mc Crossan 23 May 2013, 9:38pm

I agree. Hes gone Time to celebrate. Well hes out of our country, and thats good enough for me. Convicted in a fair system, overstayed, raped a woman. Good Riddance. No tears. I’m actually fed up with immigrants trying on the I’m gay scam to stay in the UK. If these people are returned home and face trouble created because of what has come out of their own mouths I shed no tears.

3. Spanner1960 24 May 2013, 9:08am

Frankly, who cares if he is gay, bisexual or whatever.
    The fact he was found guilty of rape supersedes all other criteria, and we don’t want him in this country.

We are not the world’s social workers; sorry if your country has it’s problems, but don’t make your problem my problem.

4. Tragic. It reflects so badly on all the genuine asylum cases.