US: Same-sex sponsorship amendment withdrawn from broad immigration bill

1. Christopher in Canada 22 May 2013, 7:35am

Orwell wrote that some people would be more equal than others… shame on the US. All this exposes is the fragile, hypocritical lie that is the base of everything the US propandizes itself to be.

1. Christopher in Canada 22 May 2013, 7:37am

I just made up a new word!! What do you think? More streamlined than “propagandizes’, yet immediately comprehendable!!!

2. We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

REALLY ?????

1. Yes, but only if you happen to be white, protestant, and straight otherwise, no equality for you. This is the Republican way.

3. Jacob Dugan-Brause 22 May 2013, 9:06am

For me, as a naturalised Brit originally from the states, I guess I should mumble, ‘Typical.’

But then I remember, this country is (yet again) growing increasingly hostile to migration.

It’s not that much different, really — Republicans in the states, UKIP and backbenchers here.

Separated at birth, now joined and dangerous.

4. Wondering how DOMA judgment due next month will affect this.

If DOMA is repealed as unconstitutional that should surely remove all federal level bias against same sex couples, including immigration restrictions.

It should be in the bill, and it is bloody cowardly to remove it, but the Obama administration seems prone to playing the long game, with winning as key without necessarily fighting over the method of achieving that victory. By any means necessary.

It’s very possible they decided to not sacrifice the whole bill, in the expectation that the Supreme Court ruling due soon will cause the same outcome.

1. I agree with you, better to keep the wheels slowly moving forward than cause the brakes to be totally put on.

5. GulliverUK 22 May 2013, 9:27am

That’s a total disaster for the US – it makes them look like neanderthal man. Those Democrats should be renamed Democraps. Pandering to the GOP simply condones their homophobic bigotry. Who would have thought that the US was still fighting a civil war that started back in the 1700s.

If they had any principles the Democrats would have refused to give in and let the bill be defeated.

6. This is so so saddening . I am in a civil partnership with my american husband . We plan to continue to living in england but it is extremely upsetting to know that I am excluded from the same rights my hetrosexual counterparts are afforded.we do plan to move to America for a number of years to allow my husband to be near his family as he has done coming to England . I am disappointed at this news and ashamed of the people who are responsible for making this happen . In 100 years time americans will look back at this and be ashamed.

1. The reality is that Senate’s Judiciary Committee is full of lawyers by profession. They have made their educated guesses about how the Supremes will rule in a month or two about DOMA. I think like the majority of non-religious-nut lawyers that the respective section of DOMA will be found unconstitutional. Meaning that if this immigration reform passes, it will apply automatically to same-sex couples, and it will be up to the Obama Administration exactly how to apply it in practice.

So, don’t despair :)

1. Fingers crossed, I’m doing a masters in Nursing anyway so if all else fails I will do everything I can to become a nurse in America.

1. bobbleobble 22 May 2013, 2:28pm

If you do go down that route then be really careful. If they get wind of the fact that you are in a same sex relationship with an American then they will deny your visas and bar you from the US. They would view it as an abuse of the system. I’m aware of it happening in several cases.

2. GulliverUK 22 May 2013, 2:12pm

When DOMA is repealed it will only apply to same-sex couples who are married and live in a state that recognises same-sex marriage, so it’s effect could be more limited – although it will clearly have a fairly powerful effect on law-makers in states which have dragged their feet on equality. If it’s applied in a limited way, that won’t be of massive help, but if it, for example, makes all existing one-man one-women marriage constitutional amendments invalid, it will make it much easier to push forward state by state. The ultimate, for them to enable same-sex marriage across the whole of the US is, unfortunately, very likely unattainable.

Can’t be any real doubt that it’ll be repealed, but to what extent. Here’s hoping !

2. bobbleobble 22 May 2013, 2:25pm

I’m in almost the same position matthew and the news is pretty devastating although not unexpected.

7. Alain Walker 22 May 2013, 10:54pm

I do hope the Supreme Court provides relief on this issue but there are four very conservative Court members who will vote their biases so there is no room for error. I am an American citizen and I have lived outside the United States for nearly 30 years in large part because my partner cannot get a long-term visa. At this point I might never return, law or no law.