Gay Tory MP Stuart Andrew slams Sir Gerald Howarth over his ‘aggressive homosexuality community’ jibe

1. Strip him of his knighthood

2. Gerald howarth is an evil extremist who has openly incited hatred against our community.

Cameron needs to sack this evil pig. There is no excuse for his neo-fascism

3. Emily Dodge 22 May 2013, 11:14am

Yesterday I emailed the following to Sir Gerald Howarth:-

Dear Sir Gerald,

During the debate on same sex marriage in the House of Commons you stated “there are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who see this as but a stepping stone to something even further” which has confused me. For the record I consider myself to be a straight woman. I don’t understand what you mean by “aggressive homosexual community”. In what way is the “homosexual community” “aggressive”? I also don’t understand as to what you allude to in the phrase “stepping stone to something even further”. What do you mean by “something even further”?

I await your response with interest.

Yours sincerely
    Emily Dodge

1. Emily Dodge 23 May 2013, 12:10am

I have received a reply today as follows:-

“Dear Miss Dodge

Are you a constituent of mine?

Yours sincerely”

I have emailed back the following:-

“Dear Sir Gerald,

Please explain why my being a constituent or not is relevant to you giving me the explanations I have asked for?

Yours sincerely,
      Emily Dodge”

4. If Stuart Andrew has any principles he will not stay in the Tory party unless the neo-fascist Howarth is sacked for incitement to hatred.

Could Howarth’s extremist views be regarded as criminal I wonder.

He sounds like som crazed bigot relic from 1930′s Germany

1. That There Other David 22 May 2013, 11:39am

Howarth spoke in the House of Commons, which is the only place in the country with truly free speech. The judiciary cannot interfere in the process of Parliament.

As for Stuart Andrew, he should stay where he is. We need MPs on every side of the chamber willing to speak out for us regardless of who is in office. Meanwhile Howarth won’t be there forever.

2. Jock S. Trap 22 May 2013, 11:46am

I can’t agree with that.

Surely it’s thanks to people like Stuart Andrew in the Conservative Party that has enabled a Tory Prime Minister to stand firm and get Equal Marriage through.

Personally I think if David Cameron had his way of modernising the party, people like Gerald Howarth days would be numbered and will hopefully move to another party.

Hopefully we will have a time when such vile views in a party (clearly, with the exception of UKip) are not welcome and ousted but it is thanks to the Gay men and women and non Gay men and women MPs yet very supportive in Parliament, that are making a real difference.

5. keith francis farrell 22 May 2013, 11:16am

I supose Gerald Howarth is very worried that we might want the right to kiss my husband in pubic.
    Stupid homophobic asshole. It is people like him that have made life hard for all of us.
    Maybe the right idea would be to bring charges against all the homophobic assholes who have not allowed us equality. Make them pay damages.

6. Don’t you love all this rhetoric from bigot minority, who use terms like the ‘aggressive gay lobby etc.

I suspect the problem is that they hate to hear our voices. Particularly now that we have emerged from the years of being criminalised, ostracised and pushed to the margins and are asking for our human rights. They perceive this as an aggressive act. They don’t like the fact that we have built up our self esteem, dumped the shame and found self-respect and are asking for equality. But worse for them we have won the support of the majority. The bigots think how dare we and then try and make themselves victims of some fictitious gay mob.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 22 May 2013, 12:27pm

Perhaps some of them have unresolved sexual issues of their own internalised homophobia to be so vocal and against equality. i wouldn’t mind betting Howarth has some dirty little skeletons in his closet as I’m sure many others do who voted no yesterday. I have my suspicions about Burrowes and Loughton too.

7. That There Other David 22 May 2013, 11:35am

Howarth is a dinosaur cast in the Tebbit mould. He cannot empathise with just how badly we had it in the past and therefore only sees us as troublemakers determined to flaunt ourselves in public with our push for equal treatment. It’s a classic viewpoint held by people who fear everything that doesn’t fall into their idea of how the world should be. Only the target of their fear changes.

He probably also thinks that LGBT people can be “corrected” into being “normal”. You can’t reason with someone as ignorant as that, never mind respect them.

8. Robert in S. Kensington 22 May 2013, 12:24pm

If there’s any aggressive agenda, its the likes of right wing christian fear mongers such as C4M/CI, Christian Concern, SPUC, Anglican Mainstream among others.

Howarth and his iik, including Lord Tebbit et al should be censured, short of being booted out altogether.

If Nick Herbert had made an identical comment about the aggressive religious agenda, the opposition would have called for his head. They always want it their way. They hate it when they’re called bigots and hypocrites and I don’t understand why it’s not politically correct to accuse them of it. Isn’t it obvious if you look at the definition of the words in any dictionary?

The track record of many of them is appalling. Howarth for example has never voted for any equality legislation. They feign support of CPs yet they’re the very ones who opposed the legislation.

9. Clearly by ‘something even further’, he meant fathers marrying sons. A supposedly genuine fear propagated by Jeremy Irons, and picked up on by some of the unsavories in the Conservative party.

10. I am in Stuart Andrews constituency of Pudsey and must say he is the best MP we have ever had.Works tirelessly and a great asset for Gay people in parliament.
    Never voted Tory but if he is standing again at the next election I will be tempted especially when a Labour MP George Mudie in Leeds voted against the bill,

11. Christopher Hobe Morrison 22 May 2013, 6:42pm

Yes. I heard that statement (I have been the victim of anti-gay violence) and it was quite wonderful. Howarth was and is quite disgusting. As far as taking away his knighthood, I don’t know that this is necessary as long as people who are thinking of naming people like him in future are caused to think again.

1. Christopher Hobe Morrison 22 May 2013, 6:54pm

I forgot to mention that you don’t even have to be gay to be the victim of anti-gay violence. All that is necessary is that somebody thinks you are gay. And they do have some pretty strange ideas about how you can tell somebody is gay. And think about bisexuals, or some people who had gay experiences in school. If you think about it who is safe from these people? Actually it is probably good there is so much diversity within the gay community, so it isn’t easy to draw a line between Us and Them.

12. Yeah, sure. When homophobes try to beat us down, they’re referred to as defending the “norm”, but when we fight for our rights, we’re labeled as aggressive. Well, get ready, homophobes, you’re about to meet a whole new breed of man; one that fights on principle, and to win.

13. Today’s Evening Standard contained a column from a Richard Godwin who I thought nailed it beautifully. Who are, he asked, these “aggressive” homosexuals – gays who go around ‘straight-bashing’, referring to bad things as ‘straight’ or trying to deny straight people rights that gay people have held for eons?

Nice one Mr Go(o)dwin.