US church blames Oklahoma tornado on gay basketball player Jason Collins

1. Christopher Kay 21 May 2013, 3:26pm

I did the math.
    I think you got 1+1=3
    I got 1+1= you’re a bunch of pricks, and I’m ashamed to have to breathe the same air as you.

2. Dear Pink News and all other media….
    STOP GIVING THESE PEOPLE ATTENTION.

Thank you.

1. Midnighter 21 May 2013, 4:14pm

I get where you are coming from, they annoy the hell out of me too. The way I look at it is this they serve as a useful warning to the American people that their domestic extremists have a great deal in commmon with those their nation is at war with.

With their hateful views and behaviour being widely condemned, I believe it has to help create something of a reality check for audiences of those who spread the same message of hate simply tied up in a prettier package.

They have also succeeded in precipitating legislation that sets a precedent by putting limits on their freedom to picket funerals in at least one state, which begins to redress the balance between their right to follow their religion and the rights of others not to have to listen to such nonsense.

So maybe by setting such a poor example at an extreme end of religion they may actually help the wider issues by steering mainstream religion to a more moderate position. We can hope, anyway :P

3. I think the best thing would be for the press to stop re-publishing these crazy and offensive tweets. (Twitter ought to cancel their accounts.)

If they want to believe this twisted notion of self loathing is actually God’s retribution, then let them, but please don’t give them a platform to perpetuate their opinions, because that’s what they want.

Don’t feed the trolls!

4. Was only a matter of time!

If us gays were really that powerful, don’t you think we would have targeted a tornado at their church with all of them in it and not the good people of Oklahoma?

These people really are beyond vile!

1. Spikeyhair 22 May 2013, 8:31pm

This just crystallises the strange logic these people propagate, some Christians spread peace and light and are examples in a community. And they seem to believe what they say too!!!!

5. Fascinating really, the church is just digging a hole for itself – oh and not for the peace of heaven, with comments like this – these people will be damned in hell.
    Which clearly is the right course of action for people who hold so much hate against other human beings. God is forgiving and embraces all, not those who pretend to know what they are talking about.

6. Yeah, let’s do the math[s]. Seems that god’s a lousy shot.
    Jason Collins was nowhere near Oklahoma.
    So far as I’m aware tornadoes seem to afflict the Bible belt the most.
    What could god possibly be trying to tell us?

7. Their imaginary “god” should turn the trick of maybe killing some gay people, instead of killing everyone else?
    I seriously can’t wait to see the picket crowd turning up to interrupt a WBC funeral.

1. GulliverUK 21 May 2013, 3:46pm

What sort of a god would kill innocent people just to stick the “V” to others ?

I think we should disarm our Nuclear weapons, but save one for WBC. I’m pretty sure the US would give us the OK to fire :)

8. That There Other David 21 May 2013, 3:41pm

If there were a God I reckon he’d send an even bigger tornado towards a particular compound near Topeka, Kansas.

Shame there’s no God really.

1. Willem Aan Dieteren 22 May 2013, 6:22pm

That’s not a shame!
      It’s the biggest blessing (is that a religious action?) in this world.
      WBC should be ignored completely by the media and everybody else . Because attention is all they’re looking for!
      What a Bunch of idiots

9. So ‘Margaret Thatcher did more for fags in the UK than any 1 person.’

One could argue that he has a point. Her policies did more to mobilise the gay community than ever before!!!

10. GulliverUK 21 May 2013, 3:44pm

Westboro Baptist Church.

Pressed OFF button :D

Next !

11. Apparently god told the church that it was okay to twist his words for there own agenda . I don’t quite think that is the case. In the bible it says that god forgives our sins if we ask of it. I don’t think they’ve been asking for forgiveness for not accepting all of gods children. I guess they think that women shouldn’t be able to vote and that black should still be segregated. Apparently god agrees with Adolf Hitler and that everyone that doesn’t fit the specifics has to go!!! This is just plain Ignorance, Who would have thought that a church would be the one to disobey the word of the lord. He says to do unto others as you would want done unto you. He also says an eye for an eye. so should the gays fight to get straight marriage done away with?

1. Midnighter 21 May 2013, 4:29pm

Its amazing how they manage to rationalise this, isn’t it? There’s a reason there are some 41,000 Christian denominations, and yet they ALL think they are right.

Add to that statistic that Christians have been shown to be less familiar with their Bible on average when tested alongside atheists, and its hardly surprising we get all sorts of claims.

12. Well that didn’t take long.

13. All this for ONE Basketball player… What is going to happen to Bristol when hundreds of Gay Rugby players descend on it for the Union Cup this weekend

14. Christopher Coleman 21 May 2013, 4:18pm

I suppose the tornado was intelligent enough to kill only gay-friendly people.

15. One could ostensibly argue “God” killed those people because the westboro people are just so wicked.

I wish they would go back to the cave under the swimming pool.

16. The WBC is too ridiculous to waste attention on.

Its adherents are the sort of creatures that thrive on the oxygen of publicity – and that’s exactly what we’re giving them.

17. When are people going to get it that GOD does not hate. GOD is Love he is forgiving, he is understanding. God does not create disaster nor does he condone hatred. Why would he punish others for sins you are saying others have committed? Would you hate your child if they did something you did not approve of? no because you love your children just as GOD loves us all. There will be a time to attone for our sins but that is not up for us to decide others fates. And I agree with the woman who says to stop giving these people attention. But hey isn’t that the US way?

1. Please produce one shred of evidence that god exists. Better still, get him to speak for himself insetad of having to rely on lunatics to interpret his ‘messages’. I believe the tornado is punishment for Westboro’s continued homophobia …..

2. Midnighter 21 May 2013, 8:51pm

Assuming that God as imagined by the authors of the Bible is fairly represented therein, I’m not sure where you get that idea. He’s on record as being the source of evil:

Isaiah 45:7
      I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

“The Lord commands: “… slay old men outright, young men and maidens, little children and women” (Ezechial 9:4-6)

This is not hate?

“When the Lord delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the males …. As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves.” (Deuteronomy 20:13-14)

Lovely.

I don’t think Jeremiah got the memo. There are about a dozen of these:

Jeremiah 45:5 …behold, I will bring evil upon all flesh, saith the LORD:

Jeremiah 49:37 …I will bring evil upon them, even my fierce anger, saith the LORD; and I will send the sword after them, till I have consumed them:

Love eh?

1. Excellent, Midnighter. What I can never understand about ‘belief’ …. if god is almighty powerful – why does he tolerate the devil? Surely, ‘the almighty’ could simply smite the evil one … and we’d never have any nastiness ever again in the world. Of course, religion HAS to have ‘a devil’ in order to explain things like childhood cancers, etc.

1. Midnighter 22 May 2013, 2:11pm

Quite. Its the same trope as used in most superhero mythologies. Superheroes need supervillains or they just win by default and create utopia and you don’t any sales past issue 1. Our Iron Age authors of fairy tales knew all about the need for mighty heroes to have mighty enemies, hence minotaurs, Krakens and and supernatural demons.

18. They are getting a tad predictable aren’t they?

19. God calls His children when He will; WBC mocks as God’s sacrifice of the Son as unworthy-by saying He demands more #BLASPHEMY

20. Its a long slow process but natural selection is weeding out these superstitious retards who hide behind a deity floating on the clouds – their vile hatred will be their undoing.

21. Actually, I had a call from their god just before he sent the tornado. He was just in the middle of telling me the tornado was punishment for the continued homophobia of the Westboro church, when the authorities cames and dragged me away in a straight jacket. Let’s hope the authorities come fro the Phelps’s’s’s’s soon.

22. Tracy Shpeherd 21 May 2013, 6:24pm

venom spewing “Christians”

23. Gotta love the crazies, if it wasn’t so sad for those families it would be funny. Can’t wait for what they come out with next.

24. This is ridiculous 24 people are dead 9 of those were children and these people feel the need to blame a gay person. This is why I do not go to church anymore and neither do my children because do not want them to be taught this garbage..These people need a reality check and work on praying for the victims in OK not being asses.

25. Kansas is in the heart of tornado country. I can’t wait for the day this church’s building gets hit by one. I’ll be laughing so hard, they’ll hear me in Topeka!

26. Brian sallis 21 May 2013, 6:54pm

And this is Christianity at work ?

27. This is getting tiresome, just wish the media would just ignore them. They are playing the media just to get attention. They are a bunch of nasty’s spieling out vulgarities in the name of so called religion/fairy tales.

28. What the Westburo Baptist Church of Topeka Kansas forgets is that they too are right in the middle of tornado alley. It’s only a matter of time.

29. Why is always gays?Maye its for them.

1. Midnighter 21 May 2013, 9:26pm

One of the women (Lauren Drain) who quit the church has previously speculated he had some sort of gay related incident in his youth causing him to suddenly drop out of West Point at age 17. A lot of the loudest homophobes in recent times have been self hating hypocrites, so it wouldn’t be a great shock that Fred Phelps was just another bit of collateral damage of religious bigotry himself.

30. LOL…how typical! News (not really) which was impossible not to happen.

31. Oh Westboro BC; you are *so* preDICKtable!

Gas station runs dry – blame the gays
    Corn crop destroyed – blame the gays
    Grocery store raided – blame the gays

All aboard the Psycho Express to Westboro BC!

1. Yeah, their motto should be “when in doubt, blame the gays.”

32. Bloody idiots

And as others have said, what the fcvk is Pink News doing constantly giving these idiots coverage?

33. I think this Westboro Baptist thing has really helped the LGBT movement. They do a perfect job of showing how crazy religious people actually are that want to deny us same rights. I think gay activist couldn’t have created something more useful even if they tried.

34. olivea mcintyre 22 May 2013, 1:15am

Are you kidding me? Stop using God said this or did this because of such and such. If it doesn’t match up with His word. It is not His word. This is absurd, I be very careful to use God did this because when you don’t know the reason.

35. douglas in canada 22 May 2013, 3:56am

When a tornado hits the Phelps’s, no one will cry. There’ll just be a lot of happiness.

36. According to Wikipedia, Oklahoma has been quite obedient to ‘God’s Word’ (as WBC hears it) in legislating against equal marriage and keeping us uppity gays down generally, so one would have thought he might have sought to punish one of the states which have recently legislated for equal marriage, for instance….God moves in mysterious ways, indeed, as does the deranged mind of the Rev. Phelps…..Of course, when the Big One hits San Francisco, no prizes for guessing the WBC press release….

37. What I never understand about the Westboro Baptist church is why it is that they get so much attention. They’re just one tiny church with a bunch of crazy views, why does everyone listen to them?

If the mad old woman who lives next door started proclaiming that gays were responsible for all evil nobody would listen, so why do they listen to these people? It’s not like anyone actually thinks there’s a possibility that this tornado was caused by gay people

38. Christopher in Canada 22 May 2013, 7:10am

Meanwhile, Canada, home of gay/equal marriage, got a gentle summer rain, which the crops needed.

Ok, fine, Gander, Newfoundland got snow, but that has more to do with latitude, not gays…

Americans are idiotic children with nukes. We should all be scared.

39. I’m sure Collins doesn’t have quite enough lung capacity, sorry, Phelpsy.

40. Clearly quite stupid these people from this church. The area is had many such issues with freak weather for a very long time.

People who say STUPID. Things shouldn’t be allowed to have air – time.

41. Guys the more we comment, the more interest we show, next time there is an article, don’t comment. zero response, show PN that we don’t care what these people think.

1. Midnighter 22 May 2013, 2:02pm

You could be right, but something tells me that the old “ignore them and they’ll go away” thing won’t work with the WBC. (Has that ever actually worked for anyone faced with a bully?) Consider terrorists – the IRA in ireland represented views that were effectively excluded from democracy because society wouldn’t listen. Ignoring people can just end up making them demand attention in increasingly aggressive ways.

Laughing at them and using them as a lesson to other fundamentalists is pretty useful I find. In their own crazy way they are actually contributing to the positive perception of the LGBT community.

In my view we should always care what our opponents think, even if the word ‘think’ is an overly generous use of language. Agreeing and caring are two completely different things.

42. If you get so wrapped up in any religion or religious beliefs, then you tend to start to spew out the kind of crap the WBC do in times of doom and gloom for parts of the world.I have a Pentecostal church near me that Heals People thro divine intervention, most weekends! ( perhaps it more difficult to do mon to fri 9-5!) Look at the bible bashers in the commons this week on the Marriage Equality Bill, doing their utmost to deny fundemental basic equal rights to all sections of society. Their nasty and divisive people the lot of them! Religion really should have warning labels stamped all over it!

43. Jock S. Trap 22 May 2013, 4:39pm

Was waiting for them to say something like this…. how predictable, how boring.

44. Westboro Church is NOT a christian church. They are a bunch of legalistic wackos who wouldn’t know God if He came up and shook their hands.

45. pissed off 23 May 2013, 6:23am

It will be a sad day if they come here to Oklahoma and picket. We have a lot of people with guns waiting to block the hell out of those bastards. I’ll be right up front.

46. By no definition of that misappropriated word is the WBC a “church,” as that would imply that its members are Christians. To be Christian would imply that one takes the word of Christ seriously, and the word of Christ was to “Love your neighbor as yourself.” That’s it. No qualifications, no authorization to cherry-pick what you do and do not want to believe, no condoning the use of “church” funds to pay the legal fees to defend one’s bigotry against the dozens of defamation and slander lawsuits they’ve faced for their comments. And no hiding behind Jesus to not face the pain they’ve caused, or exploited, to spread a message of hate that is diametrically opposed to the words of the man they claim to follow.

Cult? Yes. Poisonous, insane, blasphemous in their own faith, deceitful (they claim tax exemption as a “church” and charity, but they do no charitable work anywhere), immoral, yes. Church, never.

They are the wolves in sheep’s clothing, and by their acts we know them.

47. James Savik 24 May 2013, 1:18am

I got laid in Oklahomo once.

It’s all my fault.

48. David in Indianapolis 24 May 2013, 5:42pm

This is the U.S. We get tornadoes here. Lots of them. This is nothing new. Last year in my state, two towns were wiped off the map by tornadoes. I feel bad for the people affected, but this has nothing to do with God.

49. johnny33308 24 May 2013, 9:30pm

Yes, we LGBT people have fantastic gay super powers! Rationally, I have to ask these people, “So how is it that you are still here then? If I truly did have such lovely gay super powers as you ascribe to LGBT people, I would have disintegrated you and all like you so very long ago!” Without ANY hesitation, as well…..then I remember that these sorts of bigots have neither intellectual abilities nor rationality, so even speaking with them is a total waste of time. They will be dust soon enough….dinosaurs who cannot evolve and so will perish….and rightly so….

50. For a moment, let’s reflect on history. The UK sent its prisoners to Australia and its religious zealots to the US.

Australia got the better deal.

51. To be perfectly honest, these people don’t sound very much like Christians.