Norman Tebbit: I quite fancy my brother, why can’t brothers marry each other if gays can

1. If we did have a lesbian Queen who used a sperm donor I don’t think most people would care. Lets face it, it might improve the gene pool and help remove a few of those inbred genetic faults.

1. Quite so. Compared to the usual tactic of finding a displaced inbred German royal, using a sperm donor sounds eminently reasonable.

2. Godric Godricson 21 May 2013, 2:25pm

Hi Rovex, you’ll note that around Europe there is a real tendency to ‘marry out’. The descendents of Queen Victoria are looking further away to find a spouse these days. For the first time in generations we’ll soon have a truly British Royal family.

3. We’re several generations away from having a woman as heir to the throne anyway, and I’m not sure the monarchy will last that long. As red herrings go, it’s pretty damned irrelevant.

2. What a silly old fool. Foul mouthed mud hurling will not make people think he’s suddenly gained relevance points.

And we don’t allow clsoe relatives to marry because there are laws against incest, they’re there to give legal protection to people who fall victim of incestuous relationships, not to inconvenience tax scammers.

3. Jock S. Trap 21 May 2013, 12:43pm

Oh Gud Lordy… Someone put this creature back into his cave.

The fact he feels the need to swear just proves these people Will not accept changes in our 21st Century society.

Oh an’ Tebbit…last time I checked incest was illegal and being that, that is how it would be seen I don’t see anything changing. It’s a poor argument from someone you expect to be a very sore loser.

I question if they should be contribute.

4. I’ve longed suspected that behind the thin veneer of ‘respectability’ many of our politicians had more in common with the 1920s style gangsters of Al Capone’s mob. Sometimes that polished veneer rubs off and we get a glimpse of their true natures.

1. That’s been one of the benefits of this debate, some have been forced to drop the facade of disingenuous reasonableness. They have been smoked out.

5. If scare-mongering foul-mouthed homophobes and people who use “slippery slope” fallacies are alienated then that shows how being alienated feels, they don’t like losing, it’s a good thing for those who want to show that the Tory party is capable if change

6. CH Brighton 21 May 2013, 12:52pm

The Very Nasty Party.

7. Commander Thor 21 May 2013, 12:53pm

If a man can marry a woman, what’s to stop a father marrying his daughter for inheritance tax avoidance?

1. That There Other David 21 May 2013, 1:49pm

Given Tebbit’s other comments I can fully believe he doesn’t think women should ever inherit. All assets should only be passed to the closest male heir.

Like most of his views it’s the way things were done in the 18th Century.

8. When most ministers leave government they keep quiet. Norman Tebbit hasn’t been able to keep his mouth shut through either John Major or David Cameron’s governments, and I can see very well why Major referred to him and his friends as ‘bastards’.

About the last point – yes *OF COURSE* a child born to a lesbian queen through a sperm-donor should be allowed to get the throne. Unlike Tebbit, I don’t believe in the genetic superiority of one person over another. But I guess it wouldn’t be a eugenically healthy little child, would it Norman?

Such a horrid man!

9. Sister Mary Clarence 21 May 2013, 1:01pm

Marry your son?

Fair enough Tebbit, if you’re some effing pervert that wants to marry your son, that’s your business, but don’t expect the rest of society to endorse it.

1. Or brother – remember he’s declared that he fancies his brother.

The slimy truths come crawling out of the woodwork now …!

10. It’s fun in a way when the façade of respectability crumbles and the sheer nastiness and stupidity exposes itself in all its squalid reality.

I suspect few people of any intelligence would take any notice of Tebbit.

11. Meethinks ’tis time for Norman Tebbit and his crew to get on their bikes…

12. Of course the ban on homosexual marriage is discriminatory; the question is, is it good or bad discrimination? A lot is said about it being a human rights issue, but there is also the religious dimension.

I’d be interested to know if anyone on this site is against such marriages, for religious or any other reasons.

1. Inherently there is not nor should there be a religious dimension to CIVIL marriage, it is literally as simple as that. Nice try though.

2. Excuse my thick-headedness, but what are you talking about?

3. I guess the religious dimension would incline some not to enter a SSM. But that doesn’t mean that others, religious or non religious shouldn’t have the same choice as religious or non religious heterosexuals?

Some who have opposed SSM on religious grounds have a history of adulterous divorce, how do they square that with their apparent religiosity given that the New Testament has more to say about adultery and divorce than same sex relationships?

4. I am against any form of discrimination. Therefore, the best way to solve all this is to make ‘marriage’ open to all, gay or straight – and leave religion completely out of the equation. If a couple want – or feel the need – to involve religion, they should seek out a religion that welcomes them. But only AFTER a ‘civil ceremony’. (Beats me why anyone gay would want the blessing of a homophobic outfit anyway?)

5. Simple really. I don’t give a damn what religion has to say on it.
      If you’re a Christian and your religion doesn’t allow same sex marriage, then don’t marry someone of the same sex.

I’m not a Christian, I’m not held accountable to your religion, nor your beliefs.
      They apply to you, not to me.
      I’ll marry who the hell I want.

13. The Kitty Channel 21 May 2013, 1:08pm

It’s naughty of me, but I take a perverse delight in outbursts like this. They will only alienate young people, many of whom are likely to decide that the Tories will never be for them. In twenty or thirty years, those young people, who in the main don’t care what sexuality you are, will be balanced, mature voters and they won’t gravitate to a party that harbours such foul-mouthed dinosaurs.

14. I thought spitting image had finished.

15. karl smith 21 May 2013, 1:12pm

He’s gone down in my estimation.I assumed he was an intelligent chap who could make an intelligent argument whether for or against something , What he has done is just spout out nonsense with no relevence at all. Next stop the UKIP party for Mr Tebitt.

1. That There Other David 21 May 2013, 1:51pm

Were you not around in the 1980s? He used to come out with vile comments like this constantly.

2. Really? It was only a couple of years ago the idiot was blaming gays for obese children. Intelligent? Pull the other one!

16. I am utterly speechless. What is it with hard line Tories and the incest argument – and this is after just reading a leaflet popped through my door by the Society for the Unborn Child suggesting that equal marriage will destroy families, which is frankly homophobia in disguise and offends all existing same sex and single parents. The anti camp are getting desperate given the overwhelming decisions made yesterday in the Commons. I pray the Lords will also appreciate this. I couldn’t bring myself to vote for Cameron only because of his cronies, but he has all my respect on this issue.

1. It doesn’t even sound disguised.

17. Thank you for showing your true vile self for the whole world to see. SHould gurantee a few more votes in our favour.

18. The anti equality community are getting increasingly aggressive with their bigotry.

19. Hurry up and join Mrs Thatcher you vile, twisted old man!

20. I never thought I would say this about anyone, but at the age of 83, he hopefully won’t be around for much longer

21. Christopher Kay 21 May 2013, 1:56pm

Tax payers pay for this foul mouthed lout to make such disgusting remarks.
    Couldn’t he think of a more intelligent way of saying “f***** things up”?

22. GulliverUK 21 May 2013, 1:57pm

Warning: swivel-eyed loon alert!

Tebbit wants to marry his son !!!
    What a tosser.

On the other hand … lunatics like him only strengthen our case by pointing our how extremist, silly, crazy opponents of equality are.

1. What about heterosexual fathers who may want to marry their daughters for the same reason? Never been a problem has it Norman?

23. DIE already.

24. I this man is an odious piece of shït and a crypto-fascist, I don’t throw that term around casually but I really do think that it applies to Tebbit.

I’m not going to refer to his age because that would be an insult to older people who are compassionate and tolerant, he’s the kind of person who always was nasty and prejudiced. No doubt the UKIP supporters and the readers of the right wing rags will be cheering him on for this.
    This is the man who promoted “Victorian values” in the 80s, which is rather apt considering he reminds me of a 19th century factory or mill owner, one who looks down with disdain on the most vulnerable or disadvantaged.

25. Warren C. E. Austin 21 May 2013, 2:07pm

Debate on this is definitely getting out of hand!

Surely the same ban on blood-relations being allowed to marry and cohabit as man and wife regarding heterosexuals would applied to any same-sex unions whether they be formally recognized as marriage, or not.

I know this is true of Canada and, presumably, the other dozen countries that have formally recognized same-sex marriage.

26. This man is an odious piece of shït and a crypto-fascist, I don’t throw that term around casually but I really do think that it applies to Tebbit.

27. Norman who???

28. Pink News please change the headline to:
    Norman Tebbitt: “I quite fancy my brother!”

29. Quite fancies his brother!…..my god, if he was anything like ol’ Norm, what a revolting picture that paints.

30. “Quite fancy my brother”.
    If he’s anything like Ol’ Norm, what a revolting picture that paints.
    Are people really expected to listen and respect the utterances of this ‘wise’ man?!!.

31. Shades of another loon: Jeremy Irons. Why would anyone care what lurks in the mind of this odious little man?

32. OK Norm, we’re game…
    why don’t you get down on one knee and propose to your brother this afternoon.
    Let us know how that goes for you.
    I’m guessing the response will be something along the lines of “P**s off you dirty bastard, you have the sex appeal of a dead tortoise in a jar of formaldehyde”

33. A queen that would be a lesbian, maybe tebbit has tempted fate.

34. Just like legalising same-sex sexual activity in 1967 led to siblings being able to sleep together. Oh wait.

35. If you were wondering about it… we’ve just found the ‘swivel-eyed loon’

36. “It’s like one of my colleagues said: we’ve got to make these same-sex marriages available to all. It would lift my worries about inheritance tax because maybe I’d be allowed to marry my son. Why not?”

Er..for the same reason a father couldn’t marry his daughter, Tebbit!!

These bigots either think about gay sex all the time or are incapable of conceiving any sexual relationship other than one between members of the opposite sex so automatically think that two old lady friends or sisters marrying to save tax is exactly the same as two gay women marrying.

Mind you – noting Tebbit’s affection for his brother, I’m not quite sure which category he’d fall into!

37. burningworm 21 May 2013, 3:28pm

As that particular party adopt Ukips EU policies and we are inundated with sound bites and images freshly squeezed from the 80s. F***ed things up seems about right and as we know in dire times minorities get a hard time.

So if hardcore Cons think Cam is too far left and if the centralist think Cam is too left and if the Left think he is another tory too far right to be right, whats left?

Let us not forget this is not a conservative victory. Its about time and its nothing really to celebrate, except the effort, time and endurance of those who willed and acted on that will.

1. Some hardcore Conservatives think Genghis Khan was a ‘liberal leftie’.

38. Peter Gregory 21 May 2013, 3:40pm

Gosh! Prince Charles a lesbian, claims Tebbit, as the Tories rip each other apart like a crowd of John Inman gay stereotypes from the 80′s. WEIRD.

39. And there was me thinking this walking wrinkle had died already.

40. evil horrible old corps.. get into the box already

41. I would prefer if any members removed their sheep clothing to reveal who they really are and move to their rightful place with the UKIP. In the least, we would then have more trust for and honesty among the Conservative party. This is the real reason they will never get my vote, they can’t currently be trusted, even though there are some very good MPs in the party.

42. Christopher Coleman 21 May 2013, 4:13pm

Concerned about the destruction of marriage? This Thatcherite buffoon deserves to be publicly whipped for contributing to the destruction of same society he claims to care about so deeply. Like all his stupid tribe he does not understand that it is Tory economic policies that will lose them elections.

43. Is it just me, or does anyone else think the Big Issue has anti-gay sympathies? I’m not just referring to the Tebbit interview.

1. Brendan O’Neill writes for the Big Issue and also for the Daily Telegraph He frequently opposes gay equality, here for example -.

1. Yes, Dave, I heard him speak on the radio here in Melbourne. He thinks he is some sort of right-on spokesperson for the working class male. He said there was no need for equal marriage, that lots of his gay friends were indifferent about it, and, essentially that this was an elite class thing. Tosser.

44. Society progresses one funeral at a time…

45. Robert in S. Kensington 21 May 2013, 5:00pm

Let him rant. He’s helping the bill receive approval by the Lords. He’s an embarrassment to himself and to the upper chamber. I hope some of them counter his vile comments.

46. We should allow Keith././ to get married.
    Though I pity the poor dead-robot-puppy who will have to live with him.

1. the deviant brigade resort to personal insult

Keith my poor little pet, are you completely lacking in any degree of self-awareness? Little wonder that the big boys don’t want to play ball with you, isn’t it?

47. Stupid old biggoted C**t, Hurry up and die.

48. clairemidia 22 May 2013, 10:01am

This man is supposedly an educated creature yet he comes out with such idiocy! How on Earth did he get to Incest from same sex marriages!
    Thats like saying hetrosexual women are going to want to marry their dads.
    A grip.Get one….

49. Stephen MOLE 22 May 2013, 10:45am

On yer bike Tebbit. It’s a pity that he wasn’t buried with Thatcher

50. These slightly tongue-in-cheek comments have been taken way out of context. I hope you’ve not simply copied this off a right-wing news agency without thinking about it. Actually its the best left-wing piece I’ve seen from a Tory. It shows what people say when using their common sense and not meekly following the part line. I hope those who are commenting here have actually bought their Big Issue and read the article.