MPs who voted against the third reading of the equal marriage bill

1. Glad to see my MP standing up for his beliefs. Keep up the good work and don’t bow to the bigots and the threat makers

2. Jennie Kermode 21 May 2013, 10:34pm

Ann McKechin should not be on that list of Labour people voting against the bill. This was an error which has been passed around between publications. Ann has confirmed it personally. She’s my MP and has always been a staunch ally on LGBTI issues.

3. bill cash is on the list again! getting really tired of that bastard!

4. The Northern Ireland Democratic Unionist Party shouldn’t of had a say on this vote! It doesn’t affect northern Ireland!!!

1. Aah, the West Lothian question.

2. Technically… some minor provisions of the bill do relate to Northern Ireland (such as recognition of English/Welsh marriages as civil partnerships in Northern Ireland, and the stuff about consulates, the military, etc.). And while I agree that devolution could work in a slightly more sensible way, this kind of problem is inevitable – the national government is always going to have to make decisions that only affect some parts of the country, or that affect some parts of the country far more than others. I don’t think you could really come up with a sensible system that determines who should or shouldn’t be able to vote.

1. Brian Donahoe (Labour) also voted against. My own MP Iain MacKenzie (Labour) voted against last time.but appears not to have this time. You will notice that NO SNP mp’s took part it being party policy that they don’t vote on any matter that doesn’t affect Scotland.

1. Glesga George 22 May 2013, 1:30am

The SNP break this policy when they want to – for example, they voted against tuition fees in England (the vote which got the Lib Dems in so much trouble) 2010.

1. That did affect Scotland by withdrawing funding for English students and making alternative funding (fees) for english students required.

2. Glesga George 22 May 2013, 10:38am

As disgusted as I am with Labour & Lib Dem MPs voting against or abstaining, I don’t agree that SNP policy of not voting applies here.

This bill will also affect Scotland too. It will affect Scottish military personal who are stationed in England and also gay couples in Scotland when it comes to Welfare & Pensions which are reserved to Westminster. This bill also makes specific reference to Scotland in Schedule 2.

5. Useful list.

At the time of the next election we now know which candidates are extremist bigots and we must do everything we can to ensure that these bigots are ousted.

Even David Cameron must accept that nobody (gay or straight) should vote for a candidate that is opposed to equal civil rights.

1. IIRC, the Labour and Lib Dem LGBT and youth groups have said they aren’t going to campaign for any MPs who vote against SSM – so the Labour and Lib Dem MPs who voted no either feel really, really strongly about this, or have very large numbers of homophobes in their constituencies.

6. they voted against this because they believe they may loose their seat -so spineless – how can there things represent people when they don’t believe in equality for all?

7. Well done MPs Julian Smith(Skipton) & Andrew Jones(Knaresborough & Harrogate). Standing up for LGBT human rights

8. One place I don’t want to see my MP :-(

9. Interesting to c a former defence minister who resigned followin him takin his special male friend on foriegn government trips votin against this. Case of re building his smoke screen and protecting his sham marriage. Pleased to c my local tory voted in favour. The 1 useful thing he has ever done

10. Dominique Bailey 21 May 2013, 11:28pm

Not promising when some of the people running the government are against their own people having human rights

11. My tory mp is on the shame list, I’d never vote for him anyhow but it’s such a safe tory seat , another disadvantage of not having PR.

1. I do hope you’ve emailed them as I’m in the same situation, but tories do tend to be up for an argument and stops them saying no one wants it.

2. My MP (though I’ve never voted for him) also has a safe Tory seat, but I’m glad to say (and relieved) that he’s one of the decent ones and has always backed equal marriage.

12. Where’s William Hague? Busy with his friend?
    Hope he’s wearing his cap.

1. Travelling between Syria and Jordan where he’s trying to make things slightly better for those caught up in the civil war in Syria. But he was present for the second reading (on 5 Feb) and openly voted in favour of marriage equality then.

13. Presume my MP, Eleanor
    Laing abstained once more. Supposedly an active Human Rights person and yet cannot bring her self to support equal marriage. Hypocritical homophobe!

14. So it turns out Gordon Brown did vote this time (for gay marriage).

Last time he was away.

15. Robert in S. Kensington 22 May 2013, 12:03am

Where was Simon Hughes in the list?

Do cabinet ministers not to have to turn up in the chamber? I watched the entire debate and didn’t see Cameron, Hunt, May, or Osborne. Who was the second Tory cabinet minister who voted no, aside from Hammond?

1. Simon Hughes abstained on the final vote.

1. He also supported some unpleasant amendments (including the one allowing registrars to turn away same-sex couples) and made a speech about how he believes marriage is between a man and a woman. The little respect I had left for him just disappeared.

2. Is the Welsh Secretary not a cabinet minister?

3. Jane McQueen 22 May 2013, 10:07am

Debates like that one are debates for the legislative body of parliament, the cabinet is the executive branch of government and as such only the ministers and shadow ministers are present at the debates to answer any questions and put forwards the case for/against the change in the law.

It would be highly unusual for a PM or any other minister who is not directly responsible for the legislation to speak in one of these debates.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 22 May 2013, 11:45am

Thanks for clarifying that, Jane. I saw Jeremy Hunt earlier in the day but wondered why he wasn’t present for the third reading, but now I understand. Thanks again.

16. Sad to see my local MP (Rehman Chishti – Gillingham/Rainham) voted against. I’ve also noticed a few Kent MPs voted against also. Chishti will NEVER be getting my vote now

1. Robert in S. Kensington 22 May 2013, 11:52am

I wrote to the Tory MP Damian Collins for Folkestone/Hythe, Kent, my former hometown. He voted yes in the second reading and his letter last week indicated that he would be voting yes in the third reading. I didn’t see his name in the list of Conservatives who voted for the legislation either. I don’t think this list is accurate.

1. homeontherange 22 May 2013, 1:48pm

Damian Collins is my MP as well , and it was good to see he voted yes.

17. The list adds up to 154 MPs, not 161. Also, I think a few of these are wrong. Can we get an accurate list please Pink News?

1. Harvey Miilk 22 May 2013, 9:43am

Go on the Hansard website.The complete and accurate list will be there.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 22 May 2013, 11:59am

I tried that, but couldn’t seem to find the list.

1. Harvey Milk 22 May 2013, 1:12pm

It will be at the end of the record of the debate on the bill.

18. Relieved to see that my MP voted for equality although he would have come under pressure not to. Good to have an MP with integrity.

Shouldn’t those MP s who voted against on religious grounds show some honesty and stand as theocratic candidates at the next election, as that is where their loyalty lies?

19. GingerlyColors 22 May 2013, 7:27am

14 Labour MP’s voted against same-sex marriages? Shows that they are not perfect either!

20. Chester666666 22 May 2013, 8:12am

Predictably mine (Stewart Jackson) voted against
    But I never voted for mine due to his homophobia

21. There should be not one labour mp on the against list if they were true to there labour beliefs !! But this should not have been a vote of concionce it’s a matter of equality at least we know who to campaign against at the next election !!

1. Glesga George 22 May 2013, 10:47am

I agree, I’m very disappointed with Labour MP’s who voted against the bill. The free vote just gave homophobic MP’s a free pass.

22. I sincerely hope the anti-equality voters will be ousted at the next election. These ‘extremist bigots’ must not be allowed anywhere near parliament. They voted AGAINST EQUALITY. We must do everything we can to ensure that these people are never re-elected.

1. Lots of them are in traditionally safe seats where their constituents are largely in the age demographic that is against gay rights. If you want these people to be dethroned then you’ll have to find a way to engage younger voters.

23. There are loads of mistakes in this list. The tellers aren’t included and it says my MP voted no when he actually voted both yes and no (abstained) but has mysteriously been removed from the yes list. Please update or delete this as people will use this to contact their MP. The accurate list is here http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmhansrd/cm130521/debtext/130521-0004.htm#13052186000682

1. Robert in S. Kensington 22 May 2013, 2:05pm

Thanks, Stuart. I just looked at the list. My former hometown Tory MP Damian Collins’ name wasn’t on the list. I received an email from him today confirming he voted for the bill last night. Makes no sense. Just how accurate are those lists I wonder? I’ll have to forward it to him for his input.

24. Can we please ensure Lynne Featherstone gets our support at the next General Election? Even if we don’t live in her constituency we can offer moral and financial support to her campaign as she will come under huge pressure for all of the groundwork she put into this and the way she championed the cause. Think she deserves it as much as any MP.

Let’s not forget those MP’s who give it their all to make this happen. We just need to keep our fingers crossed that some of the potty old duffers on the red benches don’t try to wreck it.

25. Robert in S. Kensington 22 May 2013, 12:03pm

The voting system in the House should be upgraded. I’ve watched legislatures live in several countries, France, New Zealand, U.S. where there is an electronic board within the chamber listing the names of those voting and how they vote including abstentions. This archaic system of going out of the chamber into the Aye and No lobbies is unnecessary and time consuming. I also think MPs should be allowed to vote in absentia ahead of a bill for whatever reasons including illness.

I also think MPs

1. Robert in S. Kensington 22 May 2013, 12:08pm

…should provide factual evidence when making spurious, mendacious statements. I’ve not heard any MP challenge the veracity of what some have been saying against the equal marriage legislation. All of that slippery slope nonsense was never challenged. I was hoping Chris Bryant or Nick Herbert might have taken some of them on.

26. Oh look there is my MP on the list of assholes. What a terrible shock!

27. adrian hill 22 May 2013, 6:49pm

I would like every politician to consider one thing,are they employed to look after all constiituents or can they cherry pick who they will fight for and before anyone says no/yes i do not mean people that commit acts of crime.I mean people are made up of gender/race/sexual orientation etc where surely someone who is employed by the state cannot cherry pick who or what they decide as that is discrimination of which if any member of public were to do that should also apply to members of parliament
    We had the defence secretary speak publically on his own views/beliefs and i state his own but he is employed to look after defence and now the events of today (which could happen anywhere) had he not been doing a press release which we do not know if it was in his work time or not and if it were then questions need to be answered why his own views could be paid for when we now have a persons death which is looking like terrorism
    Also those MPs that want to judge by there own views can

28. Don Harrison 22 May 2013, 11:33pm

Fortunatly my Tory MP (Jim Paice – SECambs) is standing down at the next election. The MP who in an MP who tells me he is not homophobic but his voting record reminds me what a load of lying bastards the Tories are.