MPs to debate humanist marriage ceremonies

1. I don’t understand why ALL ‘marriage’ couldn’t be simply a ‘civil’ union. If you want some sort of religious rite to go along with that, have it. But surely, it’s the civil aspect which should be open to all?

1. You are right, but when you have a royal family who heads the main church also, it completely muddles the waters of the countries politics. It will remain a mess until the system changes and is free of the religious nutters and swivel-eyed loons.

2. bobbleobble 21 May 2013, 11:37am

I don’t think I have a problem with this but I don’t think it will pass.

What I am surprised at is the length of time it’s going to take for same sex marriage to be put into practice. If (and I acknowledge it’s a big if) the bill gets through the Lords on its first go then presumably we’re looking at Royal Assent later this year. Why is it then going to take until next summer for marriages to start? In France SSM became law on 18 May and marriages are expected to start no later than July. New Zealand are taking 90 days. Uruguay will be ready by August. Why does everything take twice as long in this country?!

I realise I probably sound incredibly ungrateful but it is frustrating.

3. If I was to marry, it would be a humanist marriage, but now that civil partnerships looks to be an option for everyone, it is probable what I would choose. I support equality of options for all, and would not participate in any option that excludes anyone else. Although, now I feel we need to bring in polygamy for those who want it (I don’t mean forced, slavery or child marriages. Polygamy should only be accepted between consenting, equal and free adults). Am I being futuristic or old testament?

1. Very Old Testament, I think. Polygamy, or rather multiple marriage as it would have to be called as Polygamy is only multiple wives to one man, would be impossible in a politically correct world. The concept exists only because it was simpler world when men decided and women just had to do what they were told but now, fortunately, things have changed a bit. You would now have to allow any number of men to marry any number of women. Where do you stop? 10? 20? 50? It becomes very arbitrary to draw a line. And what about divorces? In the time of polygamy there was no divorce. if you already think how complicated it can be with 2 partners, can you imagine with 3 or 4? Let alone 20… Then there are a million other issues… Parental rights being the first that springs to mind… I don’t think multiple marriages are going to see much success in being legalised…

4. Conservative MP Sir Tony Baldry said the humanist weddings plan was “not a particularly sensible amendment, whichever side of the argument you’re on”.

Why not? If you make a claim like that, come up with arguments why we should think you’re right.

1. MPs are not required by law to back their “arguments” with facts. All they need is put on a good show, promise WHATEVER they want, convince a clueless public to vote for them, then, for the duration of their mandate, they can do, say whatever they want and still keep their job. The best job in the land!! Welcome to 21st century “demo”cracy

5. Humanist marriages are very popular in Scotland. They are after Civil registrar and Church of Scotland ceremonies the third most common marriage ceremony.
    If available in England and Wales, I cannot see that being different there, the objectors seem to be religious types not wanting competition and a vast reduction in churches revenue stream.
    I hope this will pass.

6. GulliverUK 21 May 2013, 1:36pm

There are now more Humanist marriages carried out in Scotland than Catholic ones.

They should be allowed to have registrars and do the whole thing in one — or, none should be able to, including the CofE, in which case everybody should have to get a marriage certificate from a registry office and have a ceremony after, or before – since the ceremony has no legal basis (would have no legal basis) it wouldn’t matter.

7. George Broadhead 21 May 2013, 4:17pm

As a founder member of the Gay & Lesbian Humanist Association (GALHA) and secretary of the gay Humanist charity the Pink Triangle Trust (PTT), I warmly welcome the move to legalise Humanist weddings.

Before civil partnership legislation was introduced, the PTT arranged secular Humanist ceremonies of love and commitment for lesbian and gay couples all over the country. It was *the* alternative to the Christian “blessing”.

It is also worth mentioning that, in sharp contrast to the hostility shown by many religious institutions to LGBT sexual relationships and rights, the worldwide Humanist movement has been fully supportive.

1. GulliverUK 21 May 2013, 4:31pm

Humanists have always been are the forefront of common sense and inclusion. I call myself a Humanist because I feel like it calls to me, it’s ethos is what I am. I feel like a humanist.

We must work to get the legislation changed so that Humanists have full and equal rights in marriage ceremonies. But right now, we, gays, can’t marry at all, so we have to push forward this legislation without anything which might delay it. It seems to me there are lots of problems with marriage legislation and I hope all will be addressed, separately, from the Same Sex Marriage bill.

The amendment is withdrawn, but clearly most MPs in the debate were totally in favor, so a lot of progress has been made today, and it looks like this will progress forward.

8. GulliverUK 21 May 2013, 4:24pm

It’s potential that many good positive proposals may wreck or delay the bill, and thus this amendment needs to be withdrawn, and a separate process, just like yesterday, for extending Civil Partnerships, needs to be started.

The Same Sex Marriage (Couples) bill is not something to tack on amendments for every single thing which is wrong with marriage law, thus, adding this will delay the bill, …. that is clear … they’ve spent since 1:30pm talking about Humanist weddings !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough. Whilst I feel like a Humanist myself, and would love to have a humanist wedding and funeral, we cannot allow this to distract from the Same Sex Marriage bill.

9. Diesel Balaam 23 May 2013, 4:02pm

The UK’s only gay humanist charity, the Pink Triangle Trust welcomes the proposed amendment to allow humanists to conduct gay marriage ceremonies. Humanists have long been staunch supporters of gay equality, often in the teeth of bitter and underhand religious opposition.