Maria Miller: The time for equal marriage has finally come

1. Mumbo Jumbo 21 May 2013, 9:04pm

You know, after being initially sceptical, I’m really rather warming to Maria Miller. She seems a good egg.

As with Cameron, I was doubtful if either really understood, beyond political advantage or just doing the job they were given, why they were supporting this move.

Perhaps I was wrong but suspect that the vile logic-free self-obsessed over-the-top outpourings of the frothing religious-right anti-brigade has since made them realise just how important and right it is to secure marriage equality.

Whatever, I welcome their commitment and hard work and thank them sincerely for their support.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 21 May 2013, 9:23pm

I have great respect for Maria Miller. She handled herself admirably and with poise. It was the right thing to do. Cameron made the right decision to go ahead in face of fierce opposition from within his party. That took a lot of courage and sticking his neck out. I commend him and all the Tories who supported the bill.

But special thanks to Labour and the Liberal Democrats without whom it wouldn’t have passed. This third vote garnered support by 69% of the House. The Lords would have a lot of explaining to do by rejecting it which I doubt they’ll do. There will be resistance but I don’t think significant enough to send it back to the Commons.

3. GulliverUK 21 May 2013, 9:41pm

I’ve written to MM to ask about pension provisions – we need to know. They’re discriminatory at present and it looks like they will still be discriminatory. If people don’t care about how much is in their pocket then it’s not a problem, but otherwise, it is.

1. Are you a member of The Aggressive Homosexual Community by any chance, Gulliver? :-)

1. No, well, um, er, … I don’t think so ! Just a member of the concerned LGBT community.

I did not write to her or anybody other than my MP over equal marriage before, but pensions is a very big issue — but heck, if nobody else cares, then why the fcuk should I. Just don’t expect me to call something equal when it’s definitely not.

And I’m genuinely sorry to piss on other peoples happy day, but I think it’s important people know about this. How can you plan for the future? Why would people feel ok about being ripped off?

Tatchell cares, Caroline Lucas cares, a number of MPs were concerned, but apparently we don’t care.

1. You make an excellent case, Gulliver. I was staggered when I discovered that pension companies can discriminate like that.

Hellfire, even some of the MPs in civil partnerships didn’t know that.

And yes, like you, my jaw hit the floor when I found out in the debate. I think I’ll raise the issue with my MP and Maria Miller, too.

However, at least Caroline Lucas seemed to think the subject would be addressed in the House of Lords.

2. The bill is far from perfect, and there are a lot of areas where there continue to be differences (pensions discrimination, reasons for divorce, the quadruple lock etc) – but I’m confident that once we drag everyone over the line we can go back and tidy up the messy bits. Who knows, maybe the HoL will do some of this next month.

Oh, and I’d be proud to be a member of the Aggressive Homosexual Community. :-)

1. GulliverUK 22 May 2013, 7:59am

Adultery and consummation are old-fashioned religiously-based tribal ritual, it’s nonsense which will eventually need to be stripped from the law. If someone on their deathbed can’t consummate, or have a medical condition like impotence, or don’t want to have sex, then it would be completely wrong to deny them marriage, and even heterosexuals have problems with adultery. A bisexual man who is married to a women, who has an affair with another man isn’t committing adultery, technically.

Pensions are a different matter, it’s money you paid in all your life and which your partner will only get a fraction of, because you are gay.
            explains some details. As I understand it they don’t plan to rectify this, so it’s not equal marriage – you can’t say something is equal when it has discriminatory unequal pensions. I’m so sorry to be a party pooper, but you need to know this.

2. GulliverUK 22 May 2013, 8:12am

Also, if you won’t take it from, take it from Liberty.

“Sadly there remains one obstacle to full marriage equality in the Bill.

Currently the Bill contains a clause which would perpetuate inequality in the provision of occupational pension schemes for gay couples by allowing pension providers to pay far lower survivor benefits to gay civil partners and spouses than to straight spouses.

We believe only with these changes can we achieve true equality.”

The principle was equality – but that is a deceit.

4. “As stated by the Attorney General, the amendment debated earlier, would have given preferential treatment to one particular belief group and would have made the Bill incompatible with the Convention on Human Rights. ”

Ooh, I wonder what religion that is? -Said no-one ever.

5. If Miller was concerned with “equal” marriage, then the Government should’ve supported for the trans amendments, not prattle off boring tautologies obviously drafted by the Sir Humphries.

6. damned filth 22 May 2013, 12:45pm

I hate to spoil this current wave of PC backslapping, but exactly how many gay couples are there where both parties are Quakers?

This bill is the same as the Foxhunting Bill was for Labour, a huge dose of navel gazing which makes the chattering classes feel nice about themselves but in practice achieves nothing.