Lib Dem Deputy Leader Simon Hughes: ‘I struggled with the issue of sexuality since I was a teenager’

1. Beelzeebub 21 May 2013, 2:34pm

‘I struggled with the issue of sexuality since I was a teenager’

Good for you.

Now stop adding to other peoples struggles.

2. Didn’t we all? It is still not an excuse nor is the fact that you chose to sit on boards of schools associated with the CofE reason enough to stop this bill of make derailing amendments to it.

I email him this morning about this and received the most long winded response which does not even respond to the questions or comments I initially made! No surprise really.

3. That There Other David 21 May 2013, 2:45pm

Maybe he’d have a far more balanced view if he stopped seeing everything as a “struggle”. It’s just the way you’re wired Mr. Hughes. Nothing to struggle against.

4. Chris Ward 21 May 2013, 2:48pm

He was a coward in the closet and he’s a coward out of it. He has chosen to preserve his reelection chances over LGBT rights. If you’re an LGBT constituent of his, do remember that in 2015.

1. I am a constituent of his and will be remembering his actions come the next election.

5. No matter how much “straight choice” Simon Hughes struggled it doesn’t justify the homophobia he perpetuates and support

The majority of us struggled because there’s still so much homophobia out there. His struggles don’t justify how willing he is to throw us under the bus and be the GBLT face of acceptable homophobia

The quisling should join the Tories, he’ll find plenty of fellows there

6. He’s definitely not struggling with being a homophobe/homophobic enabler. This creep makes me sick , I can’t even look at his ugly mug.

7. he seems to struggle more with the concept of Liberalism !!!…twat

8. Pretty damn quiet about your ‘struggle’ during the bermondsey by-election that first saw you elected to parliament against Peter Tatchell who was absolutely vilified because of his sexuality. Hypocrite.

9. No Mr Hughs , WE have struggled with your sexuality since you were a teenager. Now say sorry to Peter, the gay community at large and then piss off!

10. please vote this comment up to get this piece of crap off of these pages. He does not belong here .

11. why do pink news bother having comments and then deleting them when there is no reason.

1. GulliverUK 21 May 2013, 3:22pm

probably need to press refresh, or F5

1. hereigoagain 21 May 2013, 3:24pm

thanks I tried this and it works, many thanks

2. and then the comments appear. Is there a problem with the server?

1. No, it’s because your browser gets the previous page from its cache. That’s why you need to refresh the page

12. GulliverUK 21 May 2013, 3:21pm

Oh god, he’s on his feet again.

Somebody needs to education on IVF !

13. At 15.20pm he is on his feet in the Commons stating that he believes marriage is given by God, sanctified by God and it is between a man and a woman, he believes in “traditional” marriage. He is a member of the Church of England but believes in disestablishment. I think he is a sad case all round.

1. I would pity him if I didn’t despise him so much ;)

14. Despicable!

15. Go away you cowardly troll and swivel eyed loon.

16. It’s sickening that Mr Hughes seems to have a different persona when in private, from the public face he portrays.

Does he think that his votes will crumble if he was to more open about his sexuality?

His self indulgent hypocrisy turns my stomach.

17. So it seems Simon Hughes voted for Tim Loughton’s amendment precisely in order to scupper the Bill. He pretended to support marriage equality, but was really a fifth columnist for the other side. I wonder if Dave Page still supports him?

1. OK so Hughes could argue that he supported the Loughton amendment in good faith because he believes in the extension of civil partnerships to straight couples and because he believes on disestablishment. What was his reason for supporting the defeated amendment which would have allowed registrars to opt out of performing civil ceremonies because of conscience?

1. I certainly don’t support Simon’s voting for civil registrar opt-out and next time I see him, I will tell him.

18. He’s not fit to tie a swivel-eyed loon’s bootlaces.

19. After watching the debate yesterday, I’m struggling to understand how dimwits like Simon Hughes (and others) can have a seat in parliament.

20. Silly little religiously brainwashed boy! It’s not your sexuality that causes you to struggle. It’s homophobia (your own and others) that causes you to struggle!

21. The Lib Dems’ answer to Keith O’Brien !

Time he was de-selected. He’s nasty enough to join the Tories.

22. Simon Hughes is a hypocrite in the true sense of the word, as when he stood for parliament in the 1980s against Peter Tatchell in Bermondsey, he never once spoke against the bigotry that was said against Peter Tatchell.
    To add to Simon Hughes immoral stance, after the election he bought a house in Bermondsey and moved in with his male lover, and now he uses the religious excuse for his bigotry.