France: Far right activist commits suicide in Notre Dame following legalisation of equal marriage

1. And who starts these bloody conflicts I wonder

2. i’m sorry for his family, but that’s the way it is – opponents of equality already started dying out.

3. one less bigot to worry about. No tears being shed here.

1. Locus Solus 21 May 2013, 6:35pm

TOTALLY agree! Teenage boys and girls kill themselves because of the abuse suffered for being Gay/bisexual and the homophobes are silet, worse, they cheer! Then some old fossil (probably was terminally ill anyway) shoots himself because nobody likes his homophobia and we are supposed to give a… To care?

I’m not cheering, but I don’t care that he is dead.

2. My thoughts exactly.

My only mental response to this news was “hahaha. good”

4. Great news.

5. Finally some good news!
    If all homophobes did the same, our lives would be so much easier.

6. CanadianChris 21 May 2013, 5:55pm

Lmao. Peace out bigot!

7. Good! hopefully frigige barjot will follow his lead. Better they shoot themselves than us, which I hope will not happen after this scumbags actions.

8. Oh dear. Another self-hater bites the dust.

9. Note to Daviod Burrowes; Tim Loughton; Philip Hammond; Norman Tebbit; Simon Hughes; Sarah Teather and the rest:

You don’t have to accept equal marriage – look to this guy. He too was an extremist bigot just like you are; and he found a way to avoid dealing with equality.

You can too.

10. What a drama queen.

1. Sacre bleu 22 May 2013, 8:06am

How true.

11. LGBT have been committing suicide for millennia because of the hatred and bigotry spewed by far right bigots like him.

12. France is 15 country to legalise SSM !

13. Sane well balanced people will not be worried in the slightest by equality legislation that will not affect them anyway. They should be delighted that they are living in a more open and mature society.

14. GulliverUK 21 May 2013, 6:08pm

Reminds me of a Golden Girls sketch – oh, ok, perhaps I won’t.

Sorry for his family, that he was screwed up in the head. Killing yourself over something which affect you in the slightest seems like the dumbest thing anyone has ever done.

His death won’t make the slightest bit of difference, although most societies should be spending far more on mental health support and encouraging well-being programmes.

1. GulliverUK 21 May 2013, 6:09pm

sorry, all fingers and thumbs today.

It should read; which “won’t” affect you.

15. This is not at all good!!!! Just think of the violence from the earlier protests.In 26 May the homophobes will try probably something more drastic as they will be radicalized them even more

1. This is from his blog “The demonstrators on 26 May will cry because of their impatience and their anger. An infamous law, once passed, can always be repealed. He went on, “It will require new, spectacular, and symbolic actions to rouse people from their complacency.We enter into a time when words must be backed up by actions.” I expect bad things to happen

1. Colin (London) 27 May 2013, 6:58am

Radicalizing over Equality. Please France see that this is out of proportion. We are a small % of society who want equality. How does my rights affect you or your rights.
        The church lives 2000 years ago. Thinking people have moved on. We don’t burn people at the stake now either.

2. The man was probably mentally ill, like many of the MPT leaders. It might radicalize them even more but I don’t know anything that could be done to avoid it. We’re talking about hoards of foaming at the mouth anti-intellectuals. If it weren’t this particular act of crazy it would have been something else. Mobs of people who are radically irrational don’t need a legitimate reason to become more radicalized.

16. Christopher Coleman 21 May 2013, 6:10pm

Suicide in church: sacrilege or martyrdom? I think the Catholic Church still classes suicide as a sin. Perverse, that he should defile a church even though the Catholic Church does not support same gender marriage.

1. Not just a sin, but a MORTAL sin! I might add that homosexuality ISN’T considered a mortal sin.

It looks like he loses in the morality debate!

1. casparthe good 22 May 2013, 9:27pm

Should be the naughty step for him ,but seeing as he was also a fascist he may get a pardon on the suicide thing

17. If he was expecting to guilt-trip us into submission, he can wait till hell freezes over.
    I just see him as a newly-departed member of the coalition of people who’s lives are ruined when other people are treated equally.

18. Maybe he will set an example for bigots everywhere.

Nothing like being so convicted that gay marriage is wrong that you’re willing to commit a MORTAL SIN ON THE ALTER OF GOD and burn in hell for eternity to make your point.

Of course I don’t believe ANY of that religious hokum; but HE did!

19. After generations of GBLT people, young and old, being driven to suicide because of constant bigoted persecution, this guy killing himself in a petulant snit because he couldn’t continue that persecution gets not one iota of sympathy from me

20. No, he did not speak of his respect for Islam. He was an Islamophobe, and in his post compared Christian respect for women (sic) with Islamic disrespect for women.

His last blog post was more about the “need” for a reaction from white Catholic French against the rise of Islamism and immigration in France.

He was an all-round rightwing neo-fascist.

21. Sympathy for the family but good riddance to bad rubbish!

The sooner other evil dinosaurs like him leave this planet, the better it will be!

22. 1000s of young LGBT people have taken their own lives because of people with his attitude.
    I wonder if any racists will now kill themselves because their daughters want to marry black guys?

23. dcexplorer 21 May 2013, 6:19pm

No big loss for mankind.

24. A slight over-reaction. But on behalf of all the mentally ill, please be respectful of them. In the least, and I hope, he took his violence on himself. If Hitler would have only done the same.

1. The comparison with Hitler is apt: just like Venner, he did in fact kill himself in the end – after contributing to the misery of millions via his deranged megalomaniacal fantasies, then giving up in despair as reality finally undeniably hit him…..

25. Adam Abraham 21 May 2013, 6:26pm

Bye bye! :-)

26. Adam Abraham 21 May 2013, 6:26pm

Bye bye! :-)

27. We need to moderate the tone. Some of the comments are pretty vile. The guy was a right wing hateful idiot. But no need to dance. Why isn’t anyone here with me protesting the homophobes at Westminster right now?

1. Exactly. He was, at best, a mentally ill psychotic person, like David Berkowitz aka Son of Sam. “Equal rights for everyone” is the new “the dog made me do it”.

28. Ironically, suicide is a fast track straight to hell.

29. Barry William Teske 21 May 2013, 6:33pm

As sad as it is to see a human being use violence as a way to deny others there humanity, and even sadder to turn that violence inward on themselves I do believe Dominique Venner got history wrong.
    How ironic.

30. Kerry Hollowell 21 May 2013, 6:35pm

what a drama queen, classic closet case

31. Suicide turns out to be one of the fruits of discrimination, hatred, bigotry and stupidity. And now this man will go to hell. May be he was convinced that all his ideas regarding marriage definitely met with a repulse.

32. Another proof that those kind of people are just ridiculously insane.

33. He was a bloody mess right to to end! No pun intended.

Venner, please say ‘hi’ to Jesus/Lucifer for me!

34. Poor man, not well in the head. Especially now.

35. Do I feel sorry for his family? Sure (as long as they don’t have the same views as him) Do I think he’s gong to hell for what he did…if I believed in that!
    His actions are just pathetic and sad. He obviously had major mental health issues. As do most extremists lets be honest!
    Good for you France for being the 14th or the 15th country to do this.
    I’m proud to say it’s been legal in Canada for years!

36. Awwww… just the shock he’d have on the other side wen he finds out that heaven is run by Gay spirituals, including the lovely Jesus who had 12 boyfriends. Bet he’ll end up in hell for that.

37. HE is such an idiot. Equal marriage a unique phenomenon in Europe my ass… What about North America. What about South America. New Zealand ? Even some Asian countries might soon legalize it.

He deserved what happened to him from the high level of stupid.

38. Very sad that anyone should be so ardently opposed to treating other people equally that they feel the need to do this.

Of course, if they don’t treat other people equally, those other people end up killing themselves too like so many LGBT youngsters do. You can’t reason against sexuality but you can reason against bigotry and hatred.

39. Did he realize that suicide is a sin meriting damnation in Roman Catholicism? Doing it in a cathedral doubtless only makes it worse. Is this his idea of showing devotion to the Church?

40. keith francis farrell 21 May 2013, 7:27pm

Wonderful, I hope many more biggots follow his example

41. To anyone who thinks it’s a good thing that this man killed himself:

Well done you’ve sunk to the same level as him and his bigoted pals.

42. What a weird thing to do. Surely he must have had other issues because I can’t believe that equal marriage would affect him that much. If it did, he must have had prior mental health issues.

I feel sorry for his family. This is nothing to do with EM whatever he says, but everything to do with a man who seems to have been unstable or lacking in judgement to say the least.

1. I completely agree, it’s highly likely he had other issues but unfortunately that’s not how everyone will see it. The Mail have reported on the story under the headline “Right-wing historian shoots himself in Notre Dame cathedral in protest at gay marriage.” No comments are being accepted for legal reasons but I dread to think what their readers comments would be like

43. This is shocking indeed. However, I have to say that the guy deserves some appreciation in that, unlike so many other strong homophobes with guns, he did not target, killed or maimed other people.

1. To say that we have set the bar very low for these people would be an understatement wouldn’t it?

44. What’s the betting that the Mail readers will blame “aggressive homosexuality and cultural Marxism forced upon us by the militant PC brigade”?

I’m sure the EU and the immigrants somehow responsible too.

45. Stupidity to the max. I don’t even care if he dies or not, its just not important. Classic homophobes gone mad.

46. Good riddance!
    If only more bigots would follow his example the world would be a better place.

47. David Gervais 21 May 2013, 8:46pm

As many others have noted, this is another example of religion as a mental illness.
    An unfortunate situation all around.
    I hope the people who knew him are able to learn from this and act to help others suffering from mental illness.

1. This was one individual out of billions of followers of various religions, another of whom is the founder of this site.

48. David Gervais 21 May 2013, 8:48pm

On the other hand, we have a contender for the Darwin Award.

49. It’s not completely clear to me why he killed himself. There might have been some other reason combined, particulary when he says on his blog: “An infamous law, once passed, can always be repealed.” So why would a man who actualy sees hope, commit a suicide??

50. Even though i obviously strongly disagreed with the man this is still awful news.

I have to say that some of the comments being made are quite disturbing. Clearly this was a severely disturbed individual and my thoughts are with his family and the poor people in the cathedral at the time.

I dislike the idea of being part of a community that finds joy and celebrates such a horrendous thing.

1. “Any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee.”

The spite expressed by many of these comments following this horrific event disgusts me. I wonder how some of these commentators would react to somebody who opposed our views publicly rejoicing in the death of one of us.

51. Itchycoo Mark 21 May 2013, 9:40pm

no tears here, but makes you think if a homophobe is that extreme then maybe his answers lay wthin

52. Tom Cotner 21 May 2013, 9:51pm

I suppose he didn’t realize that most religions gave up human sacrifice some time back.
    The times, they is a’changin’

53. soapbubble 21 May 2013, 9:53pm

What an attention-seeking drama queen! Oh well, one less homophobic nutcase in the world, so good.

54. clearly far right activism is fatal for some. members of bnp, ukip, edl and back bench tories take notice

55. Oh what a shame a narrow minded bigot who puts sexuality ahead of us all being human is dead, excuse me while i shed a tear lol

56. Any person’s death in such a manner is a tragedy – my sympathy to his family and friends and all who will be upset by this.

That said, it has been reported elsewhere that M. Venner was a Catholic activist … when a religious denomination fosters and promotes homophobic propaganda, that denomination has to bear a considerable responsibility for this tragic event.

1. Finally some compassion, rather than distasteful quips!

I was beginning to despair with these comment boards!

2. Some Catholic – committing suicide bloodily in front of an altar. Doesn’t seem he had much respect for his own belief system.

3. Correction: I’ve just read on Wikipedia that he was a pagan and opposed to Christianity.

57. A psychotic mentally ill person, who should be locked in a madhouse wrapped in a strait jacket to avoid harming others and himself, like other psychopaths like Ed Gein and David Berkowitz aka Son of Sam. Apparently “perfectly good human beings with right to dignity and happiness like everyone else ask for equal rights for everyone” is the new “the dog made me do it”.

58. Gary Harryman 22 May 2013, 12:27am

He just couldn’t stand to see the historical hegemony of bigotry slipping away. But he did set a good example.

59. Yeah and suicide is an even greater sin by any right wing standard.

60. Typical French. They just have to be over the top dramatic.
    Quite frankly, it’s one less of these types of individuals on the planet to worry about. I’ll show sympathy for his ilk, when they start to take responsibility for the hatred and bigotry they have helped foster against the LGBT community.

61. I feel for his family and pity him, who thought death was preferable to living in a more freer world…. how said it is that he culd not just say he did not like it and carry on lobbying his side if he hates us so much, I feel no guilt for his death, his blood is on his own hands today not the gay community or the French government.

62. Wonder if we can get the bigots at the ‘Christian’ Institute to do the same?

63. Things seem to be changing fairly fast lately. I note that recent poll that showed a substantial increase in people that support marriage for homsexuals. Hopefully the hatred and violence that we still see will diminish soon. I can hope anyway.

64. GingerlyColors 22 May 2013, 7:24am

I thought committing suicide went against Christian teachings. In the Bible suicide is the ultimate sin and there is even a special place reserved in Hell for those who commit it. Listening to the rantings of some of these Christian zealots makes me wonder if homosexuality is the only sin left in the whole of the Bible.

65. I suspect there are other underlying issues that drove him to suicide and he decided to use suicide as a publicity stunt. No death should be celebrated but I have greater sympathy for the thousands of gays who have suicided because they felt outcast by the likes of this man.

66. Just read his bio on Wikipaedia. Looks like he has lived a life of hate and extremism. It is no wonder he suicided, it must have been so difficult maintaining such anger, hate and rage – if only he felt more love for his fellow humans.

67. UglyGeezer 22 May 2013, 9:16am

Some awful comments on here. A life is a life even when that life is so misguided.

1. We’re lucky that he didn’t shoot other people, he has a history of weapons training and believing in far-right conspiracies.

2. Jock S. Trap 22 May 2013, 12:01pm

He should be grateful really…if he could be.

I mean he’s probably gotten more comments than those who killed themselves thanks to his words and actions.

68. It’s always sad when someone is deranged enough to kill themselves, but the world is better off without people like him in it.

69. Jock S. Trap 22 May 2013, 11:58am

Always sad when this happens but he clearly did it for maximum media coverage, nothing else.

He is/was a Very selfish person.

70. There really needs to be a study into the link between homophobia and mental illness.

The idea that France is being taken over by Islamists whilst simultaneously legalising gay marriage is nothing short of crazy. (This is what was reported to have been written on his blog by the guardian in case anyone was wondering).

Also Marine Le Penn tweeted her “respect” for this man’s “eminently political” act. Wtf is wrong with these people?

71. Jayme Stephens 22 May 2013, 4:47pm

you killed yourself in the name of hate. I’m ok with this. I wish all people with that much hate in their hearts would take the same kind of stand.

72. James Campbell 22 May 2013, 6:26pm

So he he spoke of respect for women and Islam? Yet another nut-case gets it wrong (and this will probably be blamed on gay people as well). I am not Moslem, but I am aware that Islamic teachings strictly prohibit both individual suicide and mass killing of innocent people (Quran verses 6: 151, 17: 33, 2: 195, and 4: 29 because the killing of one innocent soul is for God equal to the crime of killing all people, as stated in 5: 32). How I wish that religious nut cases (of all faiths) would read the literature fully before using it to justify their actions.

73. I’m sorry I know this is going to sound crass, but I wonder if he’ll get a Darwin Award?

74. What a selfish man he was…He commits suicide in a VERY public place in front of all those people, including youngsters, for what? A ridiculous and bigoted political statement! And what of his poor family!

A VERY selfish man indeed!