Amendments to equal marriage bill on transgender rights withdrawn at request of Equality Minister

1. Things seem back on keel

2. GulliverUK 21 May 2013, 7:10pm

They also forced withdrawal of the amendment to equalise pension rights … so I’m not sure anyone has really noticed yet, but CP pensions will remain unfair, unequal, discriminatory and biased by sexuality. Your private pension provided will only pay you a fraction of what he’ll pay a heterosexual couple, so you are and will remain a 2nd class citizen, regardless of this legislation. I don’t know why nobody has picked it up yet. They are going to fight the Walker case, which established in court that it was discriminatory. The whole exercise has been a total waste of time.

1. Can you elaborate on this please, GulliverUK? I don’t really know anything about pensions and I wish to be informed.

Why do pensions differ based on gender/sexuality/CP/marriage?

1. because of bigots and homophobia and transphobia.
        Make no mistake – although I profoundly welcome the equality that is advanced in this bill, we have not got there YET.
        I hope that the unjustifiable inequalities perpetrated in same sex marriage that have have been perpetuated from civil partnerships and carried over into this bill will be ironed out before this bill gets Royal Assent – it is a disgrace that equality has not been achieved by this bill. This will mark the Tories for all time as the nasty party – they just could not prevent themselves from perpetuating inequalaties.

1. GulliverUK 21 May 2013, 7:29pm

They’re giving us the right to the name but we’ll likely not have equal pension rights. Labour is to blame for this also, they knew this was an issue and failed to fix it in all the time they were in power after they passed Civil Partnerships – I will most likely now not vote Labour but Green. And if there is no Green candidate I won’t vote at all.

And I’m sorry to spoil this happy day, but pensions are flipping important !

2. GulliverUK 21 May 2013, 7:26pm

I don’t understand myself – I just know they are unequal. There were exceptions put in the Equality Act 2010 to allow pension providers to discriminate, and they won’t take those out. Walker won his case and his firm had to pay up, the sums were vastly different

they said they would pay him £500pa rather than £40,000.

The government is going to challenge the court ruling fearful it could cost pension schemes money, and refused to accept the amendment today to correct this anomoly. Most people know very little about their pensions and don’t know they could get only a fraction of what heterosexual couples get.

3. Equality Network 21 May 2013, 8:07pm

Private sector pensions are only required to pay a survivor’s pension, to a civil partner whose partner has died, based on the deceased partner’s pension contributions paid into the pension since Dec 2005. Contribution payments made earlier are lost, For a (mixed-sex) married couple the date is 1988 or 1978 depending on whether the wife or husband died. This means a civil partner may get much less survivor’s pension. 2/3 pension providers voluntarily pay based on contributions back to 1988, but the law only requires back to 2005, and 1/3 pay that smaller amount.

1. GulliverUK 21 May 2013, 8:10pm

And how do you asses the likelihood of the government fixing this problem, in the House of Lords, given they said point blank today they didn’t agree with Walker and were going to fight it. To me that means they have no intention to equalise pension rights. How will pension rights be defined for same-sex couples who get married?

1. Equality Network 21 May 2013, 8:17pm

I fear you’re right – there’s no sign at present of the UK Govt shifting on this. It’s also a reserved issue for Scotland, meaning that the Scottish Parliament has no power over it so we can’t do it here in the Scottish Parliament.

It looks like pensions for same-sex married couples will face the same discrimination. Except in the case of a couple who were legally mixed-sex when they marrried and then become same-sex through gender recognition (while still married). The UK Govt agreed to maintain the pension entitlement in such a case at the mixed sex marrriage level so they don’t lose out by getting gender recognition.

2. GulliverUK 21 May 2013, 9:01pm

Drat. I was hoping you were going to tell me I was completely wrong. bummer. :(

I guess Mr Walker, or someone else, will have to drag the government through the ECHR then.

3. as with most of equality issues european courts where quite useful in the past. given the relatively low number of ssm the uk government is deliberately discriminatory here. i suppose in current economical climate every penny counts.

4. GulliverUK 21 May 2013, 9:54pm

kane, except it’s not THEIR money, it belongs to gay people. It’s theft, due to the incompetence and discriminatory behavior of this and the previous government.

4. Equality Network 21 May 2013, 8:11pm

As Gulliver says, the case of Walker v Innospec may abolish the discrimination through the courts. Mr Walker won his initial claim for equal pension rights, but that result is being appealed.

3. Conventional mainstream politicians hate transpeople. There isn’t even any legal protection against discrimination on the grounds of gender identity in this country and, not surprisingly, there isn’t even one openly trans MP.

4. Greg Warren 22 May 2013, 10:35am

the ‘equality minister’ seems to not be a fan of equality, or or showing basic respect to people. A 1000 pound apology seems fair to make up for the outrageous and unjust actions of the very recent past.

5. I was born in the UK but married a woman in Canada where I am now recognised as a woman while remaining married. (Canada has TRUE Equal Marriage)

The UK is telling me that I need to divorce my wife to change a letter on my birth certificate, even though I can then remarry my wife once it’s done.

Now, even with “Gay Marriage” they are refusing to recognise their mistake because to restore the marriages they tore apart.

So much for the whole “Sanctity of Marriage” argument.

6. Emma Martin 22 May 2013, 4:54pm

The British Government may have passed the third reading of the Same Sex Marriage Bill, but our so-called Equalities Minister has again shown that when it comes to Trans People there is somewhat less equality than there is for everyone else.

Will we be allowed to re-instate our marriages? NO!

Will we get compensation for the cost, inconvenience and ignominy we suffered when we were forced to annul our happy marriages and set up a civil partnership? NO!

In fact, it looks as though we will have to cough up again to get it turned back into a Marriage. Helen Grant has generously allowed the new marriage to be backdated to the date of the Civil Partnership. Isn’t that nice of her?

Personally it means that my marriage that took place on December 10th 1977 will now only officially have taken place on November 9th 2007. Thirty years that apparently never happened. Watch out Dr Who. It seems someone else is messing with time.
    My personal opinion is that Ms Grant cares little for equality.

7. It’s one step forward, two steps back when it comes to rights and legislation for trans people. Always has been.

8. postopgirl 23 May 2013, 8:43am

This coalition has always been transphobic, I said from the start, folks didn’t listen, now folks may take notice, even the first Equalities minister said she could gaurantee religious groups that they would not be legally obliged to do same sex marriages and smiled as she announced it from her front bench seat, and this lady was feited as being our great ally when her party was in perpetual opposition, and Theresa May has a friend who says gays can be cured.