Nick Clegg: ‘I will make sure the same-sex marriage bill doesn’t get hijacked by those with ulterior motives’

1. Nick Clegg guarantees it?

Well, I guess C4M can just start chilling the Champagne right now.

1. I find your comment hilarious but I’m still glad for his support on this issue

1. I’m glad he support it, too. I just feel he has no idea how little power he really wields.

2. What a prat. So on one had he supports civil partnerships for heterosexuals but on the other he doesn’t? Inconsistent is not the word for him.

At least Peter Tatchell has the courage of his convictions and supports both.

Clegg doesn’t know the meaning of the word ‘conviction’.

1. I disagree, he supports CPs for all BUT this bill is not the vehicle to do that. If we want to allow heterosexuals to have CPs, the introduce separate legislation to do so, don’t tag it onto a bill designed to allow same sex couples to marry.

2. Midnighter 20 May 2013, 1:08pm

I don’t think you know the meaning of the word “strategy”.

1. Ha ha. Good riposte. Seriously, though, prats like Clegg can’t prattle on about ‘equality’ and then deny equality.

Marriage for ALL and CP’s for ALL. Fudge the issue a million different ways; it really is that simple.

1. Midnighter 20 May 2013, 2:58pm

I’m sure most readers agree with your goals and your passion, but really it is not we who are fudging the issue, it is those who are now trying to add this second issue to the first who are doing that. This is not an “either/or” choice in my mind either, but rather a case of the optimal way to achieve BOTH these goals.

I’ve been trying to think of an analogy so I hope you see where I’m going with this …. If you have two aims of climbing a mountain and running a marathon, you *could* try to run up a mountain but you are much less likely to make either goal. Better to separate them and you are more likely to achieve both aims in a shorter overall timescale.

3. Get real everybody- If this amendment is passed-gay marriage is DEAD.

1. And it will pass because Labour look set to support it. The numbers are stacking in favour of the amendment.

1. Actually, according to Twitter (I know, I know) Yvette Cooper is currently asking Labour MPs not to support the amendment. If Maria Miller were to agree to consult/legislate on this extension within the life of this parliament, I think that would help.

We live in interesting times.

1. Absolutely agree. We live in very interesting times indeed. Anti-equality MPs proposing equality amendments to stop equality. Pro-equality MPs voting against equality amendments to save the equality bill.

It’s a mess, but I’m glad that people like Maria Miller, Ed Miliband and Nick Clegg can see through it all.

4. Good to see Nick explaining the reality of the situation. Is it better to double-down for mixed-sex CPs and risk losing same-sex marriage, or to secure one and then fight for the other?

There are real problems with this amendment for mixed-sex CPs. This £4bn pound alleged cost (originally quoted by Ben Summerskill in 2010 when opposing the Lib Dem policy for equal marriage) might be enough to sway people to vote against introducing this during a financial crisis, even if they support the principle.

I’d like to see PN asking more questions about exactly where that figure came from…

1. Beelzeebub 20 May 2013, 1:14pm

Tim Loughton’s arse.

1. Or Ben Summerskill’s – a FOIA request showed that the alleged Government cost impact study he was claiming to quote never actually existed.

5. Robert in S. Kensington 20 May 2013, 1:46pm

And just exactly how is he going to do that? What magical powers does he have? I support his intentions but really, does he believe he can prevent it?

If Loughton were so enthusiastic about straight CPs, he should have championed a campaign for them immediately after the legislation was passed in 2004. He’s a cunning, nasty piece of work and knows he has a good chance of derailing this bill now that the traitors in the Labour Party are backing it, allegedly.

6. From Twitter

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 7m

Labour NOT supporting Gay Marriage Bill amendment for civil partnerships being extended to hetrosexual couples which could have halted Gov bill

1. Terence Weldon 20 May 2013, 2:40pm

Great news: sanity from Labour, as well as Clegg. Another sign of pending Lab- Lib co-operation?

1. GulliverUK 20 May 2013, 2:49pm

The Dream Team :)

ahhhhh,

2. Logic prevails!

7. Terence Weldon 20 May 2013, 2:38pm

Sanity from Clegg, The amendment is clearly intended as a wrecking device – which some Tory ministers will welcome as an excuse to wriggle out of earlier commitments. It will be a disgrace if Labour supports it, just to put some egg on David Cameron’s face.