Daniel Radcliffe: When filming Kill Your Darlings, I was given ‘step-by-step’ gay sex scene instructions

1. Oh, put a sock in it.

2. Eh?

I recently had a bi-curious friend over for some fun … he knew gay sex made his dick hard, but he didn’t know much about “how”, and was nervous about “getting it wrong”, even though he’s been having sex with girls for years.

I don’t think Radcliffe’s claims are hard to believe.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 18 May 2013, 1:26pm

I find it odd that a bisexual who can get aroused for another male hasn’t a clue what to do. Don’t they follow their instincts as they do with the opposite sex and it’s not always about vaginal sex either? Don’t females fellate males, masturbate them even? Why would a bisexual not think a male can do the same?

Daniel on the other hand is straight, so I’m giving him some slack on this one. It matters not to me if he’s straight or gay as long as he is supportive and that is to be celebrated.

2. Suddenly Last Bummer 18 May 2013, 2:53pm

What are you saying? Your ”friend” ie you didn’t know where to put it? LMAO, when people have to use the manual they’re either too young, too drunk or a bit ‘special needs’. When you sorry your ”friend” had sex with women did you sorry he not just have anal sex with these women?

3. Suddenly Last Bummer 18 May 2013, 2:55pm

3. …what is wrong with you?

1. Yeah quite sure he had no ndeed for step by step instructions on his gay sex scene

1. Gene in L.A. 17 May 2013, 7:28pm

Baseless assumption, or wishful thinking?

4. I love Daniel Radcliffe. He just seems like such a great person.

1. Absolutely! He can come round here to practise any time he likes …

5. He seems eager to let everyone he didn’t know what to do. I guess even tho he is saying he is okay with it, deep down in side he is scare people will think he is gay.

1. Or he’s just being honest!? Not everyone who’s comfortable with homosexuality is gay!

Surely it would be better to accept and encourage Mr Radcliffe’s positive affirming attitude with encouragement rather than cynical suspicion and gossip.

Don’t we want a world where people can feel free to define themselves as they see fit. Daniel has done a lot of work in support of the LGBT community and comes across as an open honest guy. I’d rather more people felt as though they could support LGBT rights without being plagued by gossip about their sexuality

2. Alternatively, he just answered a question he was asked in an interview. Radcliffe has often said he has no issue with people thinking he’s gay if they want to.

I really find it extremely annoying that people have to speculate so unnecessarily about our supporters’ sexuality. Do you seriously think someone who has been a regular and loyal supporter of equal rights is someone who’s struggling with either repression on the one hand or fear of being mistaken as gay on the other?

6. Suddenly Last Bummer 18 May 2013, 2:50pm

So the director said what? “Ok Daniel, imagine that guy’s @ss is a pu$$y and just go for it”.

1. I stll don’t think he would know what to do.

7. Eric Carlin 18 May 2013, 3:45pm

I think he means well but it does irritate me when straight actors discuss the challenge of doing gay scenes. I’m sorry but do gay male actors have to have coaching to be able to kiss women?

8. Aside from the sniping going on back and fourth here, everyone should remember that he is the biggest contributor to the Trevor Project. As a 52 year old all my life gay man, I wouldn’t mind seeing what it would be like to kiss a woman. In this I see nothing wrong with Daniel doing the same on his opposite end. He is a lively adventurist. Bravo for him.

1. Christopher in Canada 19 May 2013, 1:47am

They are softer and mushier. Do not expect to feel the strong jaw and lip muscles you are used to. At least you don’t need to worry about razor burn or stubble stress!

9. I thought actors, at least good actors, were supposed to immerse themselves into the characters they portray prior to production?

If indeed he was a good actor, heterosexual and yet so gay friendly, surely the answer to the question would have been “No problem” and not “I needed step by step instructions”.

Clearly he is trying to make the point that he is not gay. Strange for someone who claims he doesn’t care whether people think he is gay or not.

1. He didn’t say he needed step by step instructions, he was commenting on how the director handled the situation of only having an hour to film the entire scene. From what I gather (being a woman), gay sex between men can be a little different in some instances, as in you can’t do missionary in the exact same position as a straight couple would, right? And that’s not necessarily something a straight guy would think of right away, so surely it would only make sense the director would indeed be giving step by step instructions to make everything more efficient and save time. I can easily understand how you’d come to the conclusion you did reach and it might be a bit weird to care this much, but I honestly can’t think of an actor who’d deserve respect more than that guy and I think it’s a little unfair that his motives keep getting questioned like that, even in cases like this one where it’s easy to interpret what he said in the wrong way.

10. Give the guy a break, everyone. He is a lovely young man who has done tons for lgbt rights. I take the point about gay actors never being asked about ‘dealing’ with straight sex scenes but Daniel is not responsible for what he is asked or ‘putting interviewers right’ on every point. And, no matter how experienced you are, the director will want it done in a particular way which you will have to be taken through. And unselfconscious sex must be really difficult with a camera crew staring at you!

11. Gotta love Daniel Radcliffe! Seems like such a nice genuine guy! He has done a lot speaking out in support of gay rights. And giving up his free time, supporting LGBT charities!