Boy George: ‘I wish David Cameron had put gay marriage in the Queen’s Speech’

1. Has the word “gay” ever passed her majesty’s lips? I don’t recall her ever acknowledging our community’s existence.

1. Perhaps the ‘queen’ is a bigot.

In the space of 60 years she has never acknowledged our existence.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 16 May 2013, 5:44pm

Probably is but a Tory bigot of course.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 16 May 2013, 5:55pm

It’s quite possible it’s because she’s the head of the state cult, doesn’t want to upset Welby and his gang giving simple minded religious nutters among their ever dwindling flock the impression that she’s endorsing equal marriage.

I was hoping perhaps Prince Harry might say something off the cuff but protocol probably doesn’t permit him. I suspect he would support it being one of Diana’s children. Now wouldn’t that cause a stir? If only.

1. Cult? Christianity has been our religion for over a thousand years and has 2 billion adherents! Simple-minded? Williams (the last archbishop) spoke 11 languages and wrote scores of books. Pope Bennie is a virtuoso pianist and also a polyglot and respected academic. The men in the pink frocks are far more intelligent than you or I, Robert.
        I’m agnostic and bisexual btw.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 16 May 2013, 7:48pm

I don’t give a toss what their academic credentials are. It doesn’t excuse any of them from homophobia, bigotry and hypocrisy. Yes, they are cults. If Welby and Francis I tomorrow supported equal marriage, they’d all fall suit. I really don’t care if you’re an agnostic, matters not one iota to me and has no bearing on what I said.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 16 May 2013, 7:48pm

..they’d all follow suit.

2. Since when has protocol or common sense stopped Harry from doing things (he certainly has his grandfather’s genes). And to be honest I would well imagine Harry putting the boot in rather than flying the rainbow flag (so long as no-one is recording it).

2. Our unelected head of state has never mentioned the word gay. Nor has she ever met with an LGBT organisation.

I think we need a referendum on whether we keep the monarchy.

The ‘queen’ is clearly no value for money when it comes to the LGBT population.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 16 May 2013, 5:44pm

The Tory bigots would be the first to oppose it as they would for a referendum on getting rid of the state cult. Of course, both would be out of the question for them as far as that goes but they are enthusiastic over having one for equal marriage which proves they’re still and always will be the very nasty party of bigots, in spite of Cameron bringing this bill forward. The Tory party will never be modernised as long as bigots and homophobes like Burrowes who dominate their party. It’s not a generational thing either. There are plenty of younger bigoted religious nutter homophobes in their ranks, an unending supply of them in fact.

The Queen of course if she could would vote for the Tories, goes without saying.

2. The queen has no value for money. Ftfy

In any case you wouldn’t a referendum now. They’d vote against a republic. If you wait till she dies and people are faced with “king Charles the whatever number they’re on now” then you’d have a much stronger case. Look at the idiots below who think the queen deserves our sympathy and respect by virtue of being “an old lady”. (I doubt very much that I’d want sympathy from anyone who referred to me in those terms if I were her).

3. Is it really that necessary to have someone of her age and era have to say the word “gay”? It’s like tossing it at your grandmother or great- grandmother and expecting it to be embraced…. They are from an era and with her pedigree in upbringing, it just isn’t spoken….let the next monarch speak to it.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 16 May 2013, 5:57pm

You mean, Charles? No way! William perhaps.

2. The main difference is that your grandmother or great grandmother isn’t an unelected head of state and doesn’t do a speech every year that tells the World what ‘her’ government are going to be up to over the next 12 months.

And I know plenty of pensioners from the same era who have no problem saying the word gay.

1. A speech that is written by the Government; not by herself.

4. The Queen is an old lady (87), and people of her generation don’t like talking about sexuality, homo or hetero. Give her a break.

5. Robert in S. Kensington 16 May 2013, 6:36pm

Rather than prattle on about not being in the Queen’s speech, I wonder if Boy George bothered to contact his MP or any in the Lords? That should be our area of concentration.

1. I just wrote to Lord Tebbit. He probably won’t even read it but it’s worth a shot.

6. Forget the queen, the royal family in general has been very quiet about gay people. Even the younger generations. Maybe they were told to keep quiet about it…

7. Pavlos Prince of Greece 16 May 2013, 11:04pm

It was not the Queens choice, but Camerons. Because vote of same-sex marriage still is risky, at least in the House of Lords: if all project will be end without success, the damage for Cameron and his liberal wing in the Conservative party will be a little smaller, at least at the pure symbolic level. The Queen has already mentioned the words “same-sex couples” in her speech in November 2003. But an honest supporter of gay rights is she not, I think.

1. Thank you. I was trying to remember when she’d previously mentioned homosexual people.

8. I really don’t care what this Queen or Her Majesty thinks or says. Both have outlived their use by date.

9. Neon Genesis 17 May 2013, 8:09am

Why doesn’t the queen write her own speeches?

1. She does write her Christmas one. Others such as this, however, are statements of Government policy read out by the head of state.

10. Why didn’t you say the idea is “so gay” instead of “so retarded”? Let’s stop associating the word “retarded” with bad things, shall we?

11. “The idea that it is somehow going to destroy civilisation is so gay.”

Come on George, I challenge you to say it in public.