London: Catholic head teacher denies asking Stonewall to visit school over claims student called shoes ‘gay’

1. No doubt a retraction from our scrupulous press will be forthcoming…

1. Robert in S. Kensington 15 May 2013, 6:24pm

Definitely not from the Telegraph, they thrive on sensation like this and never check facts, just like the Mail. It’s up to the head teacher to call for a retraction I would think. Expect more spurious nonsense in both rags as the third reading takes place next week.

2. I’d love to know how they tackle homophobic bullying without mentioning same sex relationships.

Presumably the same way they would tackle racism without mentioning skin colour or slavery?

3. Conveniently they log all incidents but that one is not there. How very convenient. Very convenient indeed!

4. Chester666666 15 May 2013, 9:01pm

How can Stonewall and this ‘school’ oppose homophobic bullying when the school is part of a faith that is famed for supporting it??

1. Colin (London) 15 May 2013, 10:57pm

Please this is one religion I hate…well all really
      However we gays work in “mysterious” ways..lol…We get a chance to show we are just normal people and the children in the schools get to meet gay people and realise that when their parents and others demonise us this does not match their experience. Hopefully they will question their “given” belief as they grow and reach the age of reason…just maybe.

Research is showing that if people know a gay person they are less willing to criticise us and more in support of gay equality. That’s all really. Best

1. Chester666666 15 May 2013, 11:50pm

Thanks for explaining/answering
        That makes sense

5. Colin (London) 15 May 2013, 10:51pm

Well glad to hear the debate but I think we need to watch out here as saying something is “gay” is neither good or bad.

My nephews use the word in NZ a few years ago all the time. It meant brilliant, great, positive just as “pants” meant as bad, crap etc.

Trust me these kids have a mum who has worked in the gay and straight communities in the UK and NZ, a father who was is a HIV consultant. I’ve been around this family all my life so they have met my boyfriends and know my lifestyle. They have 2 gay cousins.

Great to hear Ofsted require schools to participate in anti homophobic bullying. (I’m out of touch here. …Language can hurt)

6. GingerlyColors 16 May 2013, 6:37am

In recent years, young people have been using the word ‘gay’ to describe something that is not very good. Perhaps by describing a fellow pupil’s shoes as ‘gay’ he is no doubt saying that they are unfashionable, particularly as young people often insist on wearing branded trainers.
    The word ‘gay’ was never originally designed to describe homosexuality. Once, the childrens’ character, Noddy could be feeling happy and gay one day then feeling a bit queer the next.
    Last year, Preston, my home city celebrated the Guild which is held every 20 years. I saw some photographs from the 1952 Guild showing posters proclaiming ‘Preston Goes Gay’ at a time when being gay in the modern sense could lead to arrest, imprisonment or chemical castration!
    The English language is constantly evolving and words do change their meaning.

1. GingerlyColors 16 May 2013, 6:34pm

Tomorrow is the 70th anniversary of the Dambusters Raid. Anybody who has seen the film or learnt about the Raid would be familiar with squadron leader Guy Gibson’s dog which was sadly run over on the evening before the raid. The dog’s name which was perfectly acceptable in those days is now considered a deeply offensive word and civilised person would give his dog such a name nowadays. As I have said, the English language is changing and words change their meanings and some words will become unacceptable in the future. Another good example is the former name for the cerebal palsy charity, Scope which I was glad to see their name change in the early 1990′s.

7. It’s an utter lie that they log all incidents of homophobic language use. that wouldn’t be possible unless every child was fitted with some kind of recording device that was permanently monitored. And what’s wrong with calling in Stonewall in response to homophobic language?