NBC’s gay sitcom The New Normal cancelled after just one season

1. Aw, there’s a shame. I for one enjoyed the show. Shania is a star!

1. I agree.It was an inoffensive and amusing sitcom. Shania steals the show and I could watch Justin Bartha reading the phone book and still love it.

However, they did seem to water-down Elin Barkin’s character somewhat mid-season which was a crying shame.

2. I’m in the gutted category. Really enjoyed The New normal. It was a pleasant show that didn’t pretend, unlike Will & Grace, that the world was perfect for us. It would show that it can be hard and that you do come up against bigots. But also that we can have a lifelong relationship. That we’re. No more as likely to bed hop or go off with someone else as any straight person. To me The New Normal was just that…Normal!!

3. Christopher in Canada 13 May 2013, 3:16pm

I’m gutted! I enjoyed both series immensely!

4. Pressure from Homophobes and Superstitious fools – The American public in other words – I have no doubt …

Our loss – When will we evolve enough to outlaw Religion?

5. Brett Gibson 13 May 2013, 3:36pm

Totally devastated. I think if people actually gave it a chance they would like it, it’s really funny and well written and I was anticipating a new season.

However I think it might have been too soon for most American audiences to accept the idea of a gay male family. Yeah we had Will and Grace which was a huge success but that was completely different and I think in the 8 years it ran, there were only about 4 gay male superfast pecks on the lips, compared with countless full on lesbian kisses and straight kisses. Same in Modern Family, the 2 gay male characters don’t show anywhere near as much affection as the straight couples do. Same in Brothers and Sisters – the list goes on and on.

In conclusion, we’re not quite there yet with people still thinking two men is somehow more explicit then a straight couple or indeed a lesbian couple- but WE’RE GETTING THERE!!

6. Godric Godricson 13 May 2013, 5:02pm

My purely personal opinion is that the show put us back into stereotypes. Gay men portrayed as smart, young, witty and dazzling. Whilst that stereotype may be true for some individuals we are also boring, older, fat and unemployed. “The New Normal” may have been cutting edge for the USA in 2013 but I would suggest that we all collectively deserve better writing and situations that represent everyday people in real lives. Just my opinion folks for what that’s worth.

1. Brett Gibson 13 May 2013, 5:03pm

Also the ‘bottom’ was taller than the ‘top’ – on what planet.

1. Planet Real, where men don’t necessarily define themselves by one position.

2. I agree. I watched only the pilot and the second show and i was quite turned off by the massive stereotyping. I must have missed something…

7. Paul Brownsey 13 May 2013, 5:29pm

“TV editor for MSN Lorna Cooper expressed that she would not miss the show…”

Please speak English, which “expressed that” is not.

8. It was not that funny and waved a moral stick a little too much. Well done to Ryan Murphy for glee. His personal life through a rose tinted point of view should have stayed personal. It did not work as a TV show.

9. The ratings were dismal – so there’s nothing “unexpected” about the cancellation (same with “Smash” which was even worse).

I think NBC is going to launch a new sitcom about a single gay dad in the new season – so it’s not like they are pondering to homophobes.

1. Yup, Sean Saves The World, with Sean Hayes from Will & Grace.

It really does boil down to money. US networks will cancel anything that isn’t attracting viewers so isn’t making them money from advertisers.

10. Ah, Man! Why can’t we keep our Gay themed shows on the air? How about a gay Parenthood, or a gay 30something? Or a gay Wonder Years? Come on people, lets gay up television

11. DIE BEAST, DIE!!!

I’m a gay surrogacy dad and was more “gutted” that the writing, plots and characters insulted my intelligence. This could have been a thoughtful, funny show. Instead, it trivialized the issue without being truly funny. I watched the first episodes religiously, and then felt my gorge beginning to rise a bit more with each episode. They lost me with the pretend wedding episode. There was much potential here; too bad they squandered it.

12. Bill Cameron 13 May 2013, 9:01pm

I enjoy this show, even if it is somewhat cliched, but if people weren’t watching it in sufficient numbers then it is probably inevitable that it be ‘axed’. Personally I found it much better viewing than the UK’s “Vicious” (3rd episode due to start in 5 minutes), specially because the gay couple in it did not seem to have any problems – both successful professionals, with the mother of their surrogate a sort of cartoon homohobe and the surrogate herself and her daughter both good characters.

If it’s true NBC are replacing it soon with another gay-themed show perhaps we’ll see it in the UK in due course, too.

13. I am not surpirised. WhenI first heard about this show airing I was so happy, but that quickly changed. I was so put off by the grandmother’s character. The the horrible things that came out of her mouth was beyond belief. I gave the show 3 chances but I had to stop watching. I watched 3 episodes and I never laughed. If they wanted to keep it “real” then it should have been a drama, not a sitcom.

14. Well I thought the show had hot men on it. I screamed with laughter at the Catholic priest and loved that the Catholic priest married them on the season finale. I especially loved the references to “Paris is burning” gay culture.

15. Its seems pushing boundaries is not acceptable for minorities, sounds like freedom of speech is only for behind closed doors.

16. John middleton 6 Jun 2013, 8:40pm

Sad news thought it was great !

17. Will Hart 6 Jun 2013, 9:42pm

I’m disgusted that the one million mums said that the New Normal is “harmful to society” and “damaging to our culture”.