Isle of Man Chief Minister: Homophobic landlord who banned lesbian couple shows the law needs to change

1. Bill Cameron 13 May 2013, 7:50pm

This is absolutely amazing and very welcome. I lived in the IoM for a number of years when I was a teenager (before and for a few years after homosexuality was even decriminalised in the UK) and before, frankly, I had really become completely aware that I was/am homosexual, but I always knew what a ‘traditional’ place it was; obviously some elements of that remain, but it is still incredible to read the Chief Minister of the House of Keys expressing himself so unequivocally

2. I remember being quite disappointed with the IoM many moons ago; I’d expected it to be a larger version of the Channel Islands and to be somewhere rather special with verve and flair.

It wasn’t. :-(

I remember that I was unlucky with the weather and didn’t persevere with much exploration outside Douglas, which seemed just a downmarket resort. Probably a very unfair verdict, but that’s how I felt.

So the IoM would do well to make itself a gay friendly place in order to attract gays, who have significantly higher disposable incomes. Great news that the Chief Minister is suitably clued up !

1. Bill Cameron 13 May 2013, 10:07pm

Unfortunately nowhere in the British Isles is consistently lucky with weather, but that’s not really what this article is about. Whilst it would certainly be nice for the island to be more gay-friendly (and perhaps the Chief Minster’s comments are a welcome signal that the authorities consider this important) it is probably also true that tourism is now less important there than it once was, specially as the financial sector has matured somewhat.

3. Wow, I wish all Ministers could be a little more like this man and say it like is (and call bigots what they are)! Instead we have people like Chris Grayling saying that B&B owners should be allowed to discriminate against LGBT people.

1. I as a lesbian with a partner for over 7 yrs have come up against nothing but bigots here on the island since we got together. I have lived here for over 30 yrs and it still amazes me that we as a nation all be it a small one are still stuck in the dark ages! Alan Bell should have the courage to stand by his convictions and push this ” law” through ASAP.

1. Really? – my cousin is gay, lived on the iom all his life and never had a problem, the only time he ever had trouble was when out clubbing in England.

4. See the live debate and vote at http://www.senate.mn/media/flashvideo.php

Finger crossed for another victory coming up soon !

1. Oops – sorry, wrong thread !

1. Your mistake made me laugh Gerry. Cheers

5. I am glad that Mr Bell has spoken of his disappointment with this but it is a shame that it has take this incident for the preparation to be accelerated.

He needs to set a clear timetable for the legislation.

6. GingerlyColors 14 May 2013, 8:35am

The Isle of Man is neither in the UK or the EU but it is still bound by the European Court of Human Rights and is a British Protectorate.
    However, the Island still has a lot of catching up to do with the UK, having only decriminalized homosexuality in 1992.

1. George Broadhead 14 May 2013, 2:36pm

As a Manxman who was born on the Island in 1933 and lived there until 1951, I was appalled to learn that UK anti-discrimination legislation does not apply there. It had to be dragged kicking and screaming to implement the UK reform on the gay age of consent years ago but has made great strides forward since then, including introducing civil partnership legislatiion.

7. George Broadhead 14 May 2013, 2:28pm

This report does not mention that the anti-gay landlord is a member of a Christian outfit called Independent Methodists whcih was roundly condemned as “bigots” by Allan Bell in an interview he gave to manxnet mail.

8. It needed saying and Alan Bell should be congratulated for his unequivocal support of the LGBT community. If the IOM is to be taken seriously by those who believe it is a just a tax-avoiders haven stuck in the past, it NEEDS to adopt similar protective legislation already introduced in the UK.

9. George Broadhead 14 May 2013, 6:14pm

It transpires that the name of the anti-gay landlord is Keith Price and he the Minister of the Ramsey Independent Methodist Church. Ramsey is the Isle of Man’s second largest town after Douglas.