UKIP’s Nigel Farage: Lady Thatcher’s ‘open-mindedness’ is responsible for gay tolerance in Britain

1. Roflcopters

2. Is Farage UKip speak for phobic idiot ?

1. “Farrage” is the word used to describe fodder given to cattle.

And

a “farago” is a hotchpotch, a confusion, a confused mixture.

So, this Nigel IS a farago, and it seems he thinks that we are all so stupid that he can feed US with farrage.

1. Sorry, I should have spelled “farago” with two rs. Correctly spelt it is “farrago”.

So, that’s “Nigel Farrago, disburser of farrage”.

Yes, I know this is name-calling, but this homophobe deserves it!

3. Paula Thomas 9 May 2013, 6:32pm

My memory of Margaret Thatcher is different to Nigal Farage’s.

4. Nigel Farage: Lady Thatcher’s ‘open-mindedness’ is responsible for gay tolerance in Britain. ?? Time to change his meds I think

1. In order to deify the woman, the right wingers seem to be trying to put out that everything good that happens in this country must in some way be connected to Thatcher, and everything bad, is the fault of Labour and/or Europe. No matter how loose or fictitious the connections are. Naturally, they couldn’t push their agenda when she was alive, lest she contradict their revision of history.
      The only thing that surprises me is that they have got the gears moving so soon. :c

2. Emergency Bromide sedatives and ECT I think . . .

In a nutshell

Just returned from a parallel universe in his private helicopter!!!

3. There is no medicine for stupidity

5. The reason why nobody went up to him and talked about marriage is because everybody already knows that he will blow off a scripted rant about the EU.
    And as for “major priority” issues. Parliament consists of more than one department staffed by one individual. It can do more than one thing at a time.

6. The progress made during Thatcher’s years was in spite of her, not because of her. But then this guy is a real life troll so I suspect he doesn’t really care.

1. Are you just being cautious in what you write, or do you recall some progress during Thatcher’s years?

I suppose you could call the repairing here and there of some of the damage caused during the Thatcher years “progress” (think of Princess Diana’s interventions visiting Aids patients in the face of the bigotry from the popular press, for example). But I honestly cannot think of a single aspect of LGBT life in Britain which was better at the end of the 1980s than at the beginning of that decade.

1. Yep, it was an allusion to “gross” progress, not net progress. Would have been clearer if I’d said “any progress”.

7. Yeah she stopped people talking about homosexuality in schools but really it was her way of saying I dont mind homosexuals!! F*ck off!

8. Bloody idiot

9. Farage the Mirage spouts hot-air ton anything to anyone who’ll listen (no doubt why he goes to pubs and plays on peoples ignorance and fears et al)
    He spouts anti-gay hogwash despite his rag-tag Party having a lgbt group- most of whom back gay marriage but bemoan the lack of socially liberal members of UKIP . BUt then it’s full of the ignorant and bigotted anyway in my view.

10. Farage the Mirage spouts hot-air ton anything to anyone who’ll listen (no doubt why he goes to pubs and plays on peoples ignorance and fears et al)
    He spouts anti-gay twaddle despite his rag-tag Party having a lgbt group- most of whom back gay marriage but bemoan the lack of socially liberal members of UKIP . But then it’s full of the ignorant and bigotted anyway in my view.

11. Blimey, I hadn’t realised that the media attempts to re-write history in cannonising Thatcher as some great leader had extended this far.
    It’s rather amusing that Farage will use his new-found popularity and then goes down in flames with such ridiculous statements.
    One would have thought that the failure to capitalise on Thatcher immediately following her death (or rather the refreshing evidence that a good proportion of the UK didn’t believe the bull), would have ensured that politicians didn’t mention her name again.

12. “I can tell you on the last five or six weeks of my touring around Britain – not one single person came up to me and said, ‘This is my major priority,’ he added: “Nobody talked about gay marriage.””

Does that not tell you that nobody is fussed either way.

Given that would YOU stop making a f\/cking major issue out of it.

The public certainly ain’t as you just admitted.

13. Face it, the guy is an ASS!

Given he accepts Clause 28 was passed on Thatchers watch as PM and there was no such bill passed by her predecessors Callaghan, Heath or Wilson then how the hell can he say under her watch we “were not discriminated against” – it defies the rules of simple logic and English sentence structure.

I agree that things were on the whole better in 1990 than 1979 for gays but 11 years had passed and an awful lot more could, should, have progressed and Thatcher didn’t do as much as she should have as PM. Blair too sat on his ass wrt Clause 28 for far too long.

If 25% of the idiots in this country (aka the voters) hadn’t just voted for Farage (aka a shaved Bungle) and his fellow nutters, I wouldn’t be worried about what he spews forth. But they did, vote, and thus I am, worried.

1. That There Other David 9 May 2013, 7:30pm

Despite the news media’s love of a good story 25% of people didn’t vote for UKIP. The majority of the population of the country don’t even live in areas that had elections, and 70% of the people who live in areas with elections didn’t vote at all.

Do the maths and probably only about 3-4% of the total electorate voted for UKIP.

1. They got ~25% of the vote. I didn’t say 25% of the UK population voted for them. I also didn’t include people who couldn’t vote in election. Or those under age. Or people who have died. Or the Queen. Or people in prison.

Am I detecting an embarrassed UKIP voter here perchance?

1. Perhaps you should read what you write…you wrote 25% of the idiots in this country….obviously you belong to the 25% group.

1. well, to be fair “25% of the idiots” could mean “25% of the idiots who voted”, so, nothing wrong there.
            I don’t see the need to disparage Alcam.

2. That There Other David 9 May 2013, 8:38pm

“Am I detecting an embarrassed UKIP voter here perchance?”

:shock:

3. Almost all of the elections that took place were in the more rural, conservative parts of England, turnout was low, and even then the UKIP vote was spread thinly enough that they didn’t come close to becoming the largest party in a single council. As a lot of people have been pointing out, the Greens still have more councillors than UKIP do. The media loves to sensentionalise elections (look at how much time they spend going on about byelections, and when was the last time a byelection had a significant impact on anything?), and I think the risk of UKIP gaining any sort of political power is greatly exaggerated.

1. the figure s from what I understand are 31% turnout, “4% of that voted UKIP. Remember that was with a real hard effort by UKIP to get every one to vote for them . So in real terms the out come for them was really poor

14. That There Other David 9 May 2013, 7:26pm

Someone needs to remind him that only victors get to rewrite history. A few county council seats is hardly the Arab Spring.

15. Face it, the guy is an Ar/\SE!

Given he accepts Clause 28 was passed on Thatchers watch as PM and there was no such bill passed by her predecessors Callaghan, Heath or Wilson then how the he/\ll can he say under her watch we “were not discriminated against” – it defies the rules of simple logic and English sentence structure.

ps: did the West Baptist nutters in the US say Thatchers had been pro gay too – hence they were gonna picket her funeral too! So Farage and The West Baptists are politically in sink!

16. Why on earth is Farage jumping to the assumption that it was the intention of the ‘very, very, extreme left’ to promote homosexuality in schools?! Presumably he’s not aware that LGBT people were labelled ‘decadent’ and persecuted in places like the USSR, the PRC and Castro’s Cuba?

1. The BNP seem to have a policy of describing all three main parties as “far left” – maybe UKIP do something similar?

17. HOW THE HELL WAS THATCHER TOLERANT? Who were we not discriminated against under that bigot?

But UKIP isn’t homophobic, right? Uh-huh

1. She tolerated us by not coming after us with pitchforks and flaming bibles. And we should all be truly thankful to her memory for not doing 30 years ago the things Farage would love to do now given half a chance.

18. Robert in S. Kensington 9 May 2013, 7:55pm

I love it when these opponent of equal marriage all seem to think equal marriage won’t get through the Lords. What if it does? What will they do then and if it doesn’t, well, the Parliament Act can override what those useless bigots may be seeking to throw into the long grass. They forget that ultimate power lies in the Commons, not in the unelected Lords.

19. Dennis Velco 9 May 2013, 8:48pm

Always great to read the comments… as someone from across the pond… it’s always educational and entertaining.

Thanks for this article and your reporting. What you do is appreciated.

I posted it to my LGBT Group on LinkedIn with over 19,500+ global members to spur members to read your article and to make comment. I also scooped it at Scoop.It on my LGBT Times news mashup.

Link to group >> http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=63687

All LGBT+ and community allies…. please come join me and 19,500+ of your soon to be great connections on LinkedIn. The member base represents 80% of the world’s countries.

It’s core value is – Visibility can lead to awareness which can lead to equality. Come stand with us and increase our visibility on the globe’s largest professional networking site. Be a professional who just happens to be LGBT – or a welcomed community ally.

20. The prosecution figures for adult men having consensual sex -or basically “gross indecency” rose quite drammatically in the Thatcher era as I remember. In fact- I distinctly remember Norman Tebbit on BBC Question Time saying that the police had been given direction by the CPS to actively pursue gross indecency cases. THAT was in the “Thatcher Era”-homophobes the lot of them- she being the active ringleader.

21. How many of his main core middle-aged voters are gay or have gay children, gay grandchildren or other gay relatives? Deluded people used to say the same thing about the BNP; ‘Oh, they’re OK with gay people, they just want to sort out immigration’. Bigots are bigots, they’re OK with no-one. They think they have some sort of imaginary ‘birthright’ and that everyone who’s not exactly the same as them ‘has something wrong with them and must be attacked’. I hope more people are seeing through Farage now he’s showing his true colours and reading straight out of WWII Germany’s handbook. He’s just lost many of the gains he made in the recent by-election.

22. I often wonder if Nigel Farage is the son of a ventriloquist’s puppet.

1. Whose hand is up his arse?

1. Quite!

23. Robert in S. Kensington 9 May 2013, 9:12pm

Equal marriage just passed in the American state of Minnesota, making it number 12. The vote was 75 for, 59 against. Well done, Minnesota.

Pay close attention, opponents of equal marriage especially the Lords.

1. bobbleobble 9 May 2013, 9:39pm

That’s only the lower house, the upper house still has to vote and it’s likely to be close there although they are voting next Monday I think which tends to suggest they have the votes to pass it (and I read a comment from a member of the Democratic Caucus in the Minnesota Senate who said they have the votes). Governor Dayton has said he will sign the bill too. With any luck they may give Illinois a kick up the arse.

2. That There Other David 9 May 2013, 9:56pm

Getting embarrassing now isn’t it? Since our governments started their “consultation exercises” three nations, half of Brazil and several US states have all begun and completed the process entirely. Just goes to show how wasteful and desperately in need of reform our Parliamentary system is.

1. Especially of the House of Lords votes aginst it!

24. As a someone who grew up under the tories and Mrs Thatcher and was to experience the confusing and frightening feelings and emotions that being transgendered can cause in a young boy trying so hard yet failing at being a boy I hold Mrs Thatcher personally responsible for all the misery I went through and all the years I would miss living as the woman I am because of my ignorance of transgenderismn.
    I believe this because of the tyranny of the infamous Clause 28 that would make it illegal for the people who Knew to talk to the young who needed to know with a ruthless and cold disregard for all the personal tragedy that would all to often accompany the enforced silence.
    Today this sounds over sensitive but we see it with the glorious benefit of the internet that has effectively taken away from those in authority the power to enforce their ideology by controling information and it is difficult to explain to the younger generation how difficult it could be to find the answers.

25. He makes a point!

It’s just a shame that it’s a stupid one from a bigot with only one facial expression

26. Christopher Coleman 9 May 2013, 9:38pm

Politicians should not expect that the average voter will ask questions about marriage equality, because it does not directly concern most of them. And why bother to ask a nationalist politician about an issue that is not a narrowly nationalist one? And when votes do ask about issues that interest them, like unemployment and an end to the recession, they get no worthwhile answers, ’cause the politicians don’t have any answers.

Anyway, despite public interest and opinion, governments should always be willing to pass laws that benefit minorities. It is an important part of their job.

27. The fact that he sees Thatcher as a liberal shows what a grubby little Fascist he is.

He is politically dead in the water… or are those ‘remarkable’ gains of his really a sign that the UK has gone mad?

28. UKIP is slowly becoming the new BNP.

1. Jock S. Trap 10 May 2013, 9:52am

becoming? Think they already are!! Though a name like farage…..!

29. Carl ROwlands 9 May 2013, 10:02pm

I don’t think he was in the same country as me! Margaret Thatcher and open mindedness, absolut tosh!

30. Farage REALLY has outdone himself this time . . .

I am laughing so much I don’t even know where to start . . .

31. Alex Honeker 9 May 2013, 11:59pm

Mrs Thatcher’s liberal economic reforms opened the door to a more liberal society. Free markets generate open minds. Individuals are set free from state control and they feel free to live their lives as they choose. So, yes, Thatcherism did create a more liberal society, whether you lefties like it or not.

1. All thatcherism did was move the power from people with heritage to people with money. It was the backlash against her that bred tolerance. To say that she therefore helped is very disingenuous.

2. James Justice 14 May 2013, 6:06pm

Thank you Alex Honeker – you are right to say that with economic liberalism comes social liberalism.

We should cast our minds back and think of the huge number of gay bars and pubs that opened during the 80s and 90s as proof of her open mindedness.

Section 28, although regretable, came about as a reaction to what some on the “looney left” were pushing for at the time.

It should also be remembered that although there was a bit of dithering to start with, concerning the British government’s handling of the AIDS crisis, Norman Fowler the then Health Secretary did a very good job of handling it.

As Lord Fowler he has spoken recently in the Lords, in support of SSM.

I shall still be voter Ukip though, as it’s not all about us gays!

32. Oh good… the Complete knob, it talking utter bollocks, out of his ass as usual.
    Does he mean to be a walking Encyclopedia of anatomy in all that he does?!

33. It is so much easier toe just make history up than to actually research it !!

34. Michael 2912 10 May 2013, 8:02am

I really don’t want to respond to this piece because the guy should not be taken seriously. The sad reality is that he is. Maybe he’s talking about another Margaret Thatcher. Who am I to know?

1. barriejohn 10 May 2013, 1:18pm

It is appalling that the BBC in particular has been giving him so much exposure recently. He has practically no coherent policies, and is virtually the only member of his party who is trusted to field questions from the media!

35. barriejohn 10 May 2013, 9:10am

I understand that he has been booked to appear on “Live at the Apollo” very shortly!

(Still trying to recall all that pro gay rights legislation passed under Margaret Thatcher. My memory is obviously failing me these days!)

36. Jock S. Trap 10 May 2013, 9:50am

” “Nobody talked about gay marriage.””

Mmm, so if no-one talked about it one would then suggest that the issue of marriage equality Wasn’t a reason why voters voted against the 3 main parties then?

You could say that if no-one asked about ‘Gay’ marriage people aren’t as opposed and your negative propaganda suggests!!

Is it then fair to say Mr Farage that UKip and vile opponents of marriage equality who say ‘Gay’ marriage was an issue in fact a complete lie?

Is saying Lady Thatcher’s ‘open-mindedness’ on Gay issues another lie to suit your twisted arguments, Mr Farage?

I think the answer there is Yes, Yes, Yes!!!

37. This report suggests to me that Farage is being careful on this issue not to show his bigotry and prejudice, but his words indicate he sees absolutely no problem with us continuing to have to sit at the back of the bus with regard to Marriage Equality.

Those gay people who have supported UKIP ought now to see the light and drop this man and his odious party like a hot potato.

1. moral compass 10 May 2013, 12:25pm

What a stupid comparison you make about the ‘back of the bus’ where you diminish the noble cause against racism and make it appear as though heterosexual only marriage is akin to racism.
      However, opposition to same sex marriage is non discriminatory since it says that nobody, black or white, gay or straight, should be able to marry the same sex. There is therefore no discrimination.
      The law against same sex marriage is no different in it’s aim than laws against consensual incest and polygamy as these laws seek to enforce a moral code, despite there being no victim in the behaviours.
      It follows therefore that with the logic you employ, those that wish polygamy and consensual incest to be legal are also being treated with the same injustice as racism
      This is why your argument is false, twisted and easily skewed.

1. “Lost My Compass”, the fact that you maintain there is “no discrimination” in not allowing homosexual people to marry, while heterosexual people are permitted to marry, proves that you may have NO moral compass, so your search for it may be a waste of your time.

Perhaps just take some more of your medication, and wait till your end arrives.

38. I thought it was Margaret that had Alzheimer’s, not Nigel…

39. Farage’s excuse for Thatcher’s legislative measure against gay people, which demeaned, diminished, and stigmatised the gay population throughout the UK, is laughable.

Thatcher made it clear why she was insistent upon passing the legislation that demeaned us and made homosexuality a more shameful thing than it had been previously treated as: her reason, which she stated loudly and clearly in the House, was that she did not want any children or students in this country being told that they have a right to be gay or lesbian.

Thatcher was thus a monster to gay people, despite the little anecdotes that her toadies like to distribute about how in private she smiled once or twice at gay men in No. 10!

If Thatcher could have passed every stronger legislation against us, I have no doubt she would have!

The trouble was we eventually rose up against her first measure, such that she had to send mounted police in to disturb our demonstrations.

I remember the horror of it very well.

40. NickDavisGB 10 May 2013, 4:52pm

Thatcher – open-minded?
    Farage – sensible?
    OxyMORON.

41. I may be perceived as oversensitive. but references to ‘tolerating’ minority groups really puts my teeth on edge. Toleration implies “putting up with” rather than inclusion. Why should equality be achieved through “toleration’ rather than based on human rights?

42. What’s responsible for us having to tolerate Nigel Farage?

43. There is no way I can support UKIP, I would rather put up with Brussels dictating my life than vote for those homophobic racist Ba***rds, If they ever form a majority government I’m emigrating

Nigel Farage and Nick Griffin are both contemptible and should not be allowed to stay in a civilized society

44. Maggie thatchers open mind created gay tolerance? is he drugged up or just thick?

45. Hurrah for Nigel’s revisionist history. Section 28 did wonders for the rights of gay people. Freedom is slavery. War is peace. Ignorance is strength.

1. GingerlyColors 11 May 2013, 11:18pm

Although hated by the LGBT movement, Section 28 did galvanise debate on gay issues and caused progress to be made. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

46. ..honestly, what and where does this stupid twit live? Well, not in this World for starters—has Mr Farage really understood Mrs Thatcher’s attitudes on Gay issues? He’s obviously living in Cuckoo-land! And doesn’t realize any of the damage this poor excuse for a woman did for Gays..