LBC’s Iain Dale: ITV’s Vicious is an ‘abortion of a comedy’ and Brian Sewell is right to pan it

1. It’s awful – and I only watched ten seconds.

1. I bet you can watch Shameless without a problem. It is fictional comedy. Like Royle Family. I can’t see much of a difference.

2. Lets not forget the title is Vicious – and with Gays as with all people there are men of a certain generation who are flamboyant and camp bitchy and witty, and even closeted to parents, even though their mannerisms suggest they are gay – all gay men can be camp – it’s just a lot who are less secure about their perceived image don’t like that particular mirror held up!

It’s a comedy – all comedy contains exaggerated grotesques of varying degrees – it’s funny –

Sewell and Dale need to go and buy some bricks and mortar, build a bridge and Get Over It!

1. Thank you JD, perfectly stated.

2. Suddenly Last Bummer 8 May 2013, 8:00pm

Witty? I’ve watched both episodes of Vicious and there wasn’t one example of wit to be seen. It is cringeworthy. The presence of Frances de La Tour as the neighbour reinforces the idea that this ‘comedy’ could more easily have been conceived in the 70s when cliches and stereotypes were everywhere on tv sitcoms like Rising Damp in which she appeared. Having said that ‘Vicious’ makes ‘Are You Being Served?’ look like Citizen Kane by comparison.

3. colonelkira 8 May 2013, 4:14pm

Iain Dale is nothing more than a self loathing prissy prig who spent the first 40 years of his life in the closet and now he thinks he has the right to comment on what should be offensive to me?………..In the words of the immortal Elvira….”Listen sister, when I want your opinion, I’ll beat it out of ya’!”

1. Agreed

2. Christopher Hobe Morrison 9 May 2013, 3:47am

I like Ian Dale. I don’t always agree with Ian Dale, but that’s how it is in the real world. Different people like and dislike different things. Just don’t get really nasty about it because you might need to work together some day.

4. Martyn Butler 8 May 2013, 4:23pm

If ever there was a TV show equivalent to Marmite – This is it!
    But let me get this out there – I LOVE it.
    Makes me laugh out loud – Now I have heard may comments about it putting equality back 50 years and all that tosh – Really?
    In EP 1 – for all the bickering and campery its very obvious by the end of the episode that these guys love each other – and the high theatrical camp is a form of light hearted banter that keeps their relationship fun – entertaining and above the mundane. We see at the end a tender loving almost unspoken moment of real tenderness without the camp – I suspect as we see more of these armchair critics will finally get it. And laugh along with it.

I have heard much about “it sets equality back years” Hold up guys – Equality for who? If two older gay men that were born to and grew up in a different age the very act of living openly as two vicious old queens” IS equality in their eyes – They are living as they choose to be – Chill !

1. I have to agree Martin. I LOVE the show. It brightens up my Monday night.

5. It has it’s moments, but not many of them. Derek Jacobi always overacts, but this time he’s gone too far.
    The dog joke is just embarrassing.
    So far, the only thing that made me laugh was when the curtains were unexpectedly opened. The rest just belongs in the 1970’s, it isn’t funny. Boring and shallow.

6. I still don’t get why the damn near unwatchable Job Lot isn’t getting anything close to the same vitriol.

7. Robert in S. Kensington 8 May 2013, 4:35pm

I’m still waiting for Iain Dale to out MPs leading a double life and who supposedly voted against equal marriage, so he claimed.

1. Benny Rees 18 May 2013, 7:58pm

Exactly – Iain Dale is not anything but a coward. Those pro-Tory gays such as Dale and Starkey remind me of the “Jews for Hitler” faction. Funny me-thinks-not

1. Benny Rees 18 May 2013, 8:00pm

I politely challenged Dale on Twitter over this – and he just chose to ignore me.

8. Ooh, get her!

(Repeating what I did on the Brian Sewell story, but I think it works just as well here!)

9. Having now seen Episodes 1 & 2 I know that I am going to be hooked on Vicious – precisely because it’s so dated and predictable and cheesy.
    It’s like the Golden Girls changed sex, got nasty and came back to haunt us – with Frances de la Tour as Blanche – except of course she didn’t change sex.
    It’s uneven and many of the gags are offensive or don’t work. And yet, everyone reacts to things differently. In episode 1 for example I thought the joke about cataracts was in really poor taste. But the response of a friend of mine who has cataracts was that he saw it as a positive affirmation that Stuart the character was managing to live successfully with them…!
    Of course Brian Sewell doesn’t like it. It’s not always easy to look at yourself in a mirror and laugh.

10. Carl Rowlands 8 May 2013, 4:47pm

Gawd- talk about getting your knickers in a twist! i watched it – found some of the lines funny, overall enjoyed as a half hour TV programme. I know a few people who are similiar in some ways to the characters. In the absence of anything else on TV on a Monday night it was enjoyable. I dont sit down and analyse each episode of Hollyoaks to establsih if it is representative of living in a suburb in Chester!!

11. Unfortunately, I found myself agreeing with everything Iain Dale said. I found the predatory undertones cringing and the plot very unconvincing. Why is the young neighbour so determined to socialise with them all the time? I was expecting it to be a breath of fresh air in its portrayal of gay men and there relationships but felt I had been teleported back to the 70s. Very disappointing.

1. my lover and i have been together 38 years and enjoy being camp and vicious to remind our selves of the fun in our youth are young friends are always near and dear like grandsons so as the old joke goes PULL MY FINGER and this little piggy ran all the way home. Change a college boys diaper and you will enjoy being a grandpa bear.Hope they get there by the second season

12. He’s a c*nt so who cares what he thinks

13. I’ll take old queen over modern lefty fag any day thanks. Sorry, but the ‘new ‘normal’ is so pathetically dull and boring, and the guys are still camp as Christmas anyway!

14. It’s rare for me to agree with a Tory like Iaian, olr even Brian Sewell; but yes, Vicious is sadly a complete failure.
    A step forward in TV programmking perhspa, but there was surely a far better show in offing.
    It they get a second series, then the writing has to be done by people with far better knowledge of the Uk elderly lgbt population and trhe 1950’s ‘underground ‘scene’/

15. I liked Vicious, it may not be wonderful and to everyones taste but it is entertaining. As for The New Normal, it also is really quite good but it has just as many stereotypes and cringe moments as Vicious.

16. The rape ‘joke’ in EP1 really?

17. Hate it. It’s like something made by some homophobe who wants to caricature and take the piss.

1. colonelkira 8 May 2013, 10:03pm

How can it be a caricature when there are those of us out there, such as myself that are EXACTLY like that? Halfwit!

18. I saw the trailers and didn’t like the look of it, but I’ve caught a couple of episodes now and thought it was quite funny.

I won’t be staying in specially to watch it, but I’ve enjoyed both the episodes I’ve seen.

If I was intent on spending my time slagging of TV programmes, there would be a long list I’d focus on before this one.

19. I don’t like Sewell or Dale but I agree with them here. Let’s imagine for a moment it’s not Jacobi or McKellen, but two straight actors. I think that those who praise it so wouldn’t be so forthcoming in their praise. In fact, I doubt it would even be commissioned.

20. Michael 2912 8 May 2013, 9:35pm

What’s worse: the abominable programme or that I agree with Brian Sewell and Ian Dale.

Answers on a postcard please.

21. My partner and I quite like it. In fact, we’ve been together for only 10 years and already show some of the traits of Freddie and Stuart.
    We’ll continue to watch it. It’s funny, camp and very hammed up. Just perfect for a bit of light entertainment.

1. trust me when you are celebrating your 40th and ruby anniversary it will still tickle your fancy my lover still thinks we are 24 and 21 and the dowager Queens of our youth were the men that made us know we had years of gay joy ahead

22. If “Vicious” is acceptable as comedy, then we owe John Inman a huge apology, despite the fact that not one penny of his estate went to help the gay men whose mannerisms he grossly exaggerated to create Mr Humphries. Apparently he was funny too instead of being heartbreakingly hurtful to thousands of teenage boys in the seventies who couldn’t bear to watch him on TV because he was supposed to be our future.

23. Lbc is a racist anti gay station. It’s the worst station I’ve heard. Iain dale should listen to his colleagues bile. I heard Ben Cohen on James (I love bankers) max show. It’s a shame

24. Dean Mills 9 May 2013, 10:27am

I totally agree. I was so looking forward to watching the first episode but disgusted and almost turned off – I have great respect for the actors but surely they could have done something a bit more sophisticated and less obvious.

25. Brian Sewer 9 May 2013, 10:37am

Its like the producer waiting in the wings with a canned laughter machine.
    Line: “who’s that at the door at this hour?” (roaring hilarity)
    Line: “damn nuisance” (hysterics)
    and the side splitting “I’ll go and make some tea” (tears rolling)

26. GingerlyColors 9 May 2013, 12:23pm

No doubt many people have turned off after the first episode, it is normal with any television series as people often tune in for the first episode then decide that it is not their cup of tea.
    I am enjoying Vicious myself and applaud the idea of a comedy centred around a senior gay couple.
    With gay people now featuring in everyday programmes, both reality and drama and shows such as Vicious and Torchwood gay people are no longer banished to late-night slots on Channel 4.

27. The New Normal? Really? With the boy-gay who likes football and scouts and the girl-gay who likes fashion and celebs? Yes, that’s completely devoid of stereotyping….

Having said that, I enjoy both Vicious and TNN although they are both turning gayness into comedy so a bit of stereotyping is bound to be about.

1. tnn is atrocious the girl gay doing the dancing for cops. Modern Family is the way sitcoms should go