New Zealand: McDonald’s worker told ‘If you turn anyone else in the store gay, I will punish you’

1. Oh yes, people can become gay just by being looked at or shaking a gay person’s hand. People can also become gay by sharing cutlery or plates and drinking from the same cup.

1. Yep, the first time a dude looked lovingly and longingly into my eyes, it was hypnotic and magical. I knew I had been recruited and there was nothing I could do. Or was it me that looked lovingly longingly into his eyes, finally realizing that I had always been this way. Either way, it was hypnotic and magical.

1. Sister Mary Clarence 3 May 2013, 12:26am

Yes, but either way, probably not in McDonalds I’m guessing.

2. McDonalds are an unethical company. Their food is crap, the environmental damage they cause is huge, and they’ve been treating their employees appallingly for years. It’s not a surprise that homophobia is on the list of their vile habits. Their behaviour is motivated by greed.

1. de Villiers 2 May 2013, 10:33pm

In the whole of my life, I have not eaten at a McDonalds more than three times. But in France they showed advertisements with a gay teenager eating there, with the motto “come as you are” (venez comme vous êtes),

1. McDonald’s has a gigantic advertising budget, which unfortunately enables them to get top-class advice in effective marketing. It has nothing to with anything apart from making more money, je vous assure.

3. McDonald’s chooses to serve its customers thin crispy fries instead of normal proper big chips.

This tells you all you need to know about the ethics of the company.

4. Eating crap at McD makes you stupid and sick not gay.

5. Good to see young gay people in New Zealand have the courage to speak out, about heterosexism as well as unfair employment conditions.

6. Correction: Auckland is the biggest city of New Zealand, but not the capital (as claimed in the article). The capital is the second-largest city, Wellington.

1. True Blue Kiwi 6 Jan, 7:54am

Actually, the second-largest city is Christchurch, although the Wellington region is more populous than Canterbury, where Christchurch is located.

7. I came to the UK from New Zealand and last time I checked, Auckland was not the Capital (the Capital is Wellington), but more seriously, I found NZ one of the most liberal countries in the world. The first trans mayor of any country was a NZ transwoman. NZ has also legalised same sex marriage (the first country in the Asia-Pacific region to do so). However, as with anywhere, homo/trans phobia is alive and well amongst those who rejoice in having a closed mind. It is worth mentioning also that John Money, the psychologist who falsely claimed that an infant can be raised successfully in a gender role chosen by the parents, which has resulted in the surgical reassignment of thousands of intersex children, was born in NZ. All you need to present the other, negative side of a country’s liberal moral values is a handful of bigots, in this case, those working for a US company known for their skewed moralising.

8. Brett Gibson 2 May 2013, 10:08pm

Auckland is not the capital of New Zealand. Facepalm, not for the first time PinkNews.

9. The NZ capital is actually Wellington, not Auckland

10. However, unlike the United Kingdom, Canada and Australia, our anti-discrimination laws don’t include transgendered people yet (although it has included sexual orientation and HIV status for the last twenty years).

11. TBH i worked at game and had the same sort of treatment there from one of the bosses. i think it has much more to do with a regional manager then the company, they wouldnt want this publicity, as much as i dispise mcdonalds.

12. “McDonald’s workers from throughout the New Zealand capital, Auckland”

That quote alone tells you everything you need to know about the worth of this site. Basic geography fails Pink News along woth common sense.

13. Spanner1960 3 May 2013, 10:15am

OMG, I am not buying any more Big Macs if they could turn me gay.

What if a female homosexual handled my food? Could I become a lesbian?
    I think this should be reported, it’s obviously a conspiracy by Peter Tatchell and his gay army of darkness.

1. That made me smile.

14. Boycott McDonalds anyway. They are, by supporting the IOC, supporting Homophobic Russia. Why should Gay peoples money be spend in this way wether it is a successful boycott or not.

15. mIKE - New Zealand 5 Dec 2013, 12:53pm

so Auckland is the capital of New Zealand? News to me.