Video: Project launched to ‘eradicate homophobia’ from Christian teachings

1. Shouldn’t be too difficult. For years, they’ve ignored all the bits about burning witches and eating shellfish and divorec, etc, etc, etc because they became socially unenforcable. It’s a pity it’s taken so long and tragic that so many teenagers have committed suicides because of religiously-inspired homophobic bullying ….

2. So does Matthew Vines and his “Reformation Project” think that if they rewrite that odious old book of nonsense, The Bible, that die-hard Xians will actually adopt it and use it?

No way. They’ll all stick rigidly to the hateful old “real thang”.

1. True, but normal people will get a more varied choice between rational and irrational holy books, and will sooner or later abandon the irrational ones, leaving the die-hard dying hard in dole queues.

1. “..rational and irrational holy books..” Rational holy books – some mistake surely.

2. It’s not even necessarily about rewriting it, all the parts that supposedly are anti-gay are, in the original languages, a bit more ambiguous. They could be referring to pagan temple prostitution, or a variety of other things. The standard for English language bibles, the King James, is notably inaccurate in many areas (not just to do with sexuality), and interpreted the original texts through the prejudices of the time. Of course, there are some fundies who believe that the KJV was a divinely inspired English translation (just as much as they believe the bible was divinely written), so no matter how many translation errors you point out, they’ll refuse to acknowledge it.

1. I can’t believe you are even attempting to justify ANY of the bible. IT’S A NOVEL!!!! Written by people who had vested interests. My advice … put it at the back of a bookself and forget it’s there. Then find a nice book which doesn’t seek to dictate to people how to live their lives.

3. Couldn’t we just eradicate christianity from christianity!
    Even with homophobia gone its still bullshit

1. I’m not a fan of sports–I think they’re bullshit but I support making sporting venues safer for LGBT people. So maybe Church isn’t your thing–and that’s cool, but for those of us who do like Church, can we do the same–make it safe for us i mean?

1. Darren, there’s lot of much much more imaginative make-believe for you to enjoy you know, than the very limited stuff they offer in church.

1. Dearest Eddy…
          I wasn’r prepared to elaberate on why church is important to me. That it is should be suffifient to this conversation. I don’t share ALL interests with all my friends, but i hope they will feel safe and welcome wherever their interests take them. Could you not wish this for those of us who like Church without belittling us?

2. John-Paul 1 May 2013, 7:41am

I believe religion…ALL religion to be bullshit!
        It has been bullshit throughout all of time when the first people looked up at the sun and thought “I don’t know what that is or can’t explain it so let us fear and worship it just in case”. I conclude from what I can observe and learn about religion that it is bullshit and I have every right to express that. I also think sport is bullshit, however, sport does not try and force you to watch/play and it does not murder people in the name of the almighty ball!!

3. de Villiers 1 May 2013, 8:04am

Darren, I agree. Live and let live.

I always used to become tired of straight people informing me about how much I was missing in relation to women and family life.

I continue to be bored by those who have no religious inclination or learning informing me how much I am wasting time in relation to the religion – in the manner of those who proudly proclaim their ignorance of any form of high art or literature.

In any event – I cannot see how making religion more inclusive of the rich life of sexuality is anything other than a good thing.

1. Thank-you de-Villiers.
          It continues to amaze me that the LGBT community can be so intollerant of religion when we are seeking tolerance for ourselves. Intollerance will not bring us tollerance in return. Feel free to disagree but to call someone’s identified religion bullshit is not helpful and will not increase support for our situation.

1. John-Paul 1 May 2013, 7:00pm

So are you saying that I am not entitled tomy free speech in regards to my sincerely held belief that religion is bullshit, but you can tell me to keep my mouth shut when it comes to your religion?

Weather you are gay or straight and follow any religion then you are a brainless automaton who needs the thought of being “rewarded” to be a decent human being, those of religious bent appaul me, and those who are gay and religious make me feel physically sick!

Think for yourself

4. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Apr 2013, 7:27pm

Well intended but I think it would have been more significant if the Episcopalian cult endorsed it, really put the cat among the pigeons in the CoE. Welby would go into a tailspin, if only. I’m hoping that one day in our life time, the Episcopalians will sever all ties with Canterbury. Let the schism begin.

5. In another half-century most pious ‘Bible-believing’ Christians will be astonished that they ever used their holy book to condemn lgbt people, and the younger ones will not remember that it ever happened. In another 100 years it will be as inconceivable as a part of Christianity as the defence of slavery and absolute monarchy is now. Thus religion constantly changes while believing that it doesn’t.

6. While I am an skeptical atheist-agnostic and have always had nothing but contempt for the so called “Christian” churches I welcome with open arms and with nothing but respect for this initiative. I know religion and Christianity are very important for many people in the world and help saving many lives, and I congratulate the Reformation Project for their honest effort to create a better world. People like Matthew Vines make Jesus happy, who was himself a great guy and if was alive today would show love, tolerance and compassion for all the LGBT people in the world. If there is something the world needs is less hate.

7. Dear Sweet man – I wish you luck with your project. You are sure as hell going to need it.

8. Christians should just stick to the teachings of Christ: love thy neighbour, treat others as you would like to be treated, etc. Christ never mentioned once homosexuality. He could have been gay himself, maybe that’s why he never made this a topic of his teachings.
    All of this if, in fact, he ever existed. But let’s give them the benefit of the doubt…

9. Colin (London) 1 May 2013, 1:34pm

This is the beginning of the church trying to make up with the gay community for their existence. they have worked out that the majority support inclusiveness and they are out of coulter and out of political support…. please let them die.

They had their place in history when small communities needed guidance. Even I an agnostic think the ten commandments are good for any community free from religious trappings.

We need to fight for a good life today. religion gives us a good afterlife after our suffering. Have you met anyone who benefitted?
    Me I want all of us to fight for our communitioes today… today…. direct inetrvention.

Get rid of religion and ask people to face themselves today. Support your neighbours, colleagues and family today and fight for what you believ e in through politics and ,local elections. get involved directly…. You will feel alive.

1. Colin (london) 1 May 2013, 1:40pm

Remember today we have Medicine, Law, Science and people working for the future of society so religion has had it’s day.
      We no longer seek to control the populus but show them the facts so they intelligent people can make up their own minds. religion is on the wane. Good bye and good night.

Focus on inclusiveness, the best for the majority and freedom of spirit and speech.

1. Yes, focus on inclusiveness except for thos religious people! Think much?