US: NFL player tweets homophobic message hours after first NBA player comes out as gay

1. Did the Dolphins actually apologize by insinuating that being gay is a “choice”? Seriously, when doing damage control on a homophobic player try hiring a gay PR person – or at least one that has a clue!

1. Yes, that was an ignorant and clumsy statement. Now the Dolphins need to apologize for their apology.

1. Miguel Sanchez 30 Apr 2013, 5:32pm

The Dolphins have done the proper thing. They said Wallace’s comment was his and not that of the team.

What no one really wants to understand are the number of blacks deep in the closet. They have an image to maintain and admitting they’re gay would, their mind, destroy that image.

My hat is off to Jason Carter for coming out. I know that took a lot of guts.

2. Christopher in Canada 30 Apr 2013, 2:05am

I don;pt understand why this idiot wouldn’t be celebrating that a fine, intelligent man is NOT competing with him for the attention of females. You’d think he’d be grateful, given his IQ… or do women like them dumb these days?

3. Over reaction…

If I comment that I don’t understand how people can eat pussy when you can play with cock, does that make me heterophobic?

1. Not at all. Eating pussy is just plain wrong, no matter how you look at it.

2. I agree. We do need to give people a little bit of the same understanding we’ve sought. Do we really want everyone to regurgitate the same PC mantras whether or not they agree? Besides, pussy is wrong. The only thing that could make it less enticing is if they farted through it too. They don’t, do they?

1. Chester666666 30 Apr 2013, 6:25am

It was where he lied that sexuality is chosen which was definately homophobic

1. I read nothing in his tweet to suggest that sexuality is chosen. What prompted you to form that impression?

1. Because the statement “I don’t understand why you’d want to have sex with another guy” implies that it’s an act done through personal preference like buying a soda instead of a smoothie.

It focuses entirely on the act of sex whils’t completley denying those pesky little things called attraction and love that play a fundamental role? Sex is a by-product of deeper feelings and he’s impying it’s just a matter of personal taste

2. Nasty queens

3. If you choose to make that comment publicly at a point where someone, for the first time ever in a given profession, admits to eating pussy, when hitherto it’d been considered a despised activity, then yes, arguably it would be “heterophobic.”

To mix various metaphors, what’s sauce for the goose may be sauce for the gander but only if the playing field is absolutely level for both.

4. Colin (London) 30 Apr 2013, 3:53am

Anyway lets celebrate this mans bravery. I hope the first of many good men who can live a good life free from fear and be role models to others who are still struggeling. Well done and good luck Jason

5. Hey! News! “Footballer Too Thick To Understand! – by his won admission!!” read all about it, read all about it!!

6. Good, another bigot ,fascist idiot named and shamed.

7. Wallace would do well to try educating himself if he doesn’t understand something, rather than broadcasting his ignorance to the world in general and his twits in particular.

8. obviously brain dead

9. Helge Vladimir Tiller 30 Apr 2013, 12:33pm

Wallace- USE YOUR “BRAIN”. If you have got any. Wish you could go on assisting persons who fight to get more self confidence in order to be honest about themselves. Helping others will do you well—THAT I know—after 50 years of experience !

10. If he doesn’t understand human sexuality then I suggest he goes back to school.

Being gay is not a choice, you do not choose to be gay, more a realisation that you are. I would ask him when did he choose to be straight?

11. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Apr 2013, 1:26pm

Ignorant man! It always amazes me that the team manager’s always distance themselves from a player’s personal comments, yet never encourage any of them to come out if they maintain they encourage inclusiveness. Let’s see if Jason Collins is signed up for another season to prove just how inclusive NBA teams really are. Put their money where their collective mouths are.

12. Roland Chesters 30 Apr 2013, 3:04pm

Hardly surprising. Footballers and intelligence do not normally appear in a sentence in any kind of complimentary way!

13. That There Other David 30 Apr 2013, 3:28pm

I don’t get the furore here. He doesn’t advocate hurting us in any way, he doesn’t think we deserve less rights, he just doesn’t get it, and he’s happy to admit that he doesn’t get it.

And that’s actually fine by me.

1. I agree.

1. Well it s not the question if someone likes oranges or apples. Being gay still has serious qonsequences in many fields of life. When you criticize someone who’s fighting for equality (his and others’) and you suggest “hey why don’t you become straight? it ‘ s much better” then you re damaging this process…and you re homophobic. He was too quick to take side against homosexuality…he could simply remain silent…at least in public..

1. Did he suggest that Collins “become straight”? Did he side against anyone? He did not appear to do so in the tweet under discussion. All I read, as David pointed out, is a statement about his lack of understanding. I see little different between that and myself finding it difficult to understand, on an emotional/instinctual level, how some people want to intimately touch women.

14. I really don’t mind when people are saying homosexuality is a choice, because they’re shooting at their own foot. When someone strongly believes homosexuality is a choice, must be bisexual for sure.