Obama: ‘I couldn’t be prouder of NBA player Jason Collins’ decision to come out as gay’

1. While I feel sympathy for Obama’s support stance, I just can’t understand how can this still be such a big deal in 2013 if someone comes out and even call it a progress. I would understand if something like that happened in Russia, but certainly not in US.

1. Jeffrey, I don’t think you follow PinkNews regularly. The homophobia in the USA is far worse than here in the UK.

2. Jeffrey, what planet do you live on? I live in the States, and this is HUGE. And also follow PN as Eddy points out, so I think it is huge in the UK too.

You should surf the net a bit, and you’ll see the thousands of players, coaches and coach-potatoes (I mean professional sports commentators) saying he is a sinner and that they are praying for him and HIS FAMILLY. The familly that is not rejecting him needs those 21st century sport people to pray for them.

This is huge.

1. A useful insight into the politics and society of the USA Pet, though the part of the planet Jeffrey, myself and our fellow Britons live on is thankfully somewhere where this really wouldn’t be such a big deal as sexuality is far less of an issue here. I’m not saying things are perfect here by any means and we have one last push to win equal marriage in the next few months, but we’re nearly there.

1. Yeah your right, it wouldn’t be a problem in Britain,
          Cos we have so many openly gay footballers and the
          last guy that came out didn’t commit suicide because
          of the treatment he received.
          Im all for flag waving when it’s warranted but don’t
          let your sense of one up manship blind you from
          the truth.

2. Well done, Mr. Obama. Direct and immediate support from “The President of the United States of America”: that’s really quite something. And it should encourage other top-line sportsmen.

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 30 Apr 2013, 7:44pm

Ummm what would really be quite something is if Obama got off the fence and actually put through equal marriage instead of umming and aaawing. Both his terms in office have been the biggest letdown since Betamax. He got in through positive discrimination.

3. What about gay women who came out in the WNBA? Are they just invisible?

1. They’re not! They are as victims and have as many bruises as we are and as we do as gay men. Up to now, what’s been important is what involves straight guys. Hopefully in a very near futur this is gonna be over.

2. Brett Gibson 1 May 2013, 12:17am

That would be like a male make-up artist coming out as gay. Lesbian sports stars are a given.

3. Not totally invisible, but perhaps more accepted. Most str8 guys I know think two women together is erotic! Whereas those same guys think two guys together is… well, you know.

4. And I can say the world couldn’t be prouder of Obama.

5. I ‘heart’ Obama

6. How far we’ve come: the President of the USA congratulates an out player.

How far we have to go: This is even necessary.

7. Robert in S. Kensington 1 May 2013, 12:06am

Thank you, President Obama. How many leaders would say such a thing? This is huge and sends a message to the uncivilised world that discrimination and living in fear because of who you are won’t be tolerated. This is as huge as David Cameron becoming the first conservative leader of one of the five permanent members of the UN to support equal marriage. Give credit where credit is due. President Obama deserves our respect. He’s helped push the doors of the closet open far wider than it was before Jason Collins came out. Imagine the positive impact that will have on young people, school children wrestling with their sexual orientation as well as bullying. Perhaps one more life may not have to end in suicide because of this.

8. Michael126 1 May 2013, 10:17am

Nice to know the leadership of America has peoples backs. Unlike here in Northern Ireland where if your a Gay Unionist you are pretty much f**ked. Time other politicians/leaders took the same stance as Obama.

1. Michael 126 1 May 2013, 10:22am

My computer is a complete waste of technology as I have now posted twice……………… ahhhhhhhhhhhh

9. Michael126 1 May 2013, 10:20am

Nice to see the leader of America has people’s backs. Unlike here in Northern Ireland where if you are a Gay Unionist you are pretty much f**ked. Petty we don’t have more world leaders like this.

1. Michael 126 1 May 2013, 10:21am