New Zealand: ‘Homophobic’ beer advert causes controversy

1. The history of struggle (including many deaths) for LGBT equality puts this in a completely different sphere.
    It is homophobic at worst and deeply ignorant of LGBT history.

1. Yawn. No it doesn’t.

Let’s change it slightly to see how offensive it really is…

Dad’s new wife.
      Mum’s new toyboy.
      Mum’s new sugar daddy.
      Dad’s new bit of rough.
      Mum’s new Spanish waiter.
      Mum’s new skinhead wife.

What. Ever.

1. Yes its light hearted but it is still a negative statement about Gay men.

2. DCBrighton 29 Apr 2013, 5:54pm

Why didn’t the ad say any those things instead then?

If it said for eg, “Mum’s new boyfriend seems nice. Yeah right.” Everyone would be scratching their heads!

Why choose “Dad’s new husband”?. I think the answer’s obvious.

2. I don’t see this as homophobic.
    If anything, it’s just a light-hearted way of acknowledging and accepting our new marriage equality.

1. DCBrighton 29 Apr 2013, 5:55pm

Yeah right!

3. As I said somewhere else: It’s always the same story: What the advertisers “really” meant vs what people take out of it. Does it make a difference if they didn’t mean to be homophobic if the ad is perceived to be anti-gay? Because that’s home many people would see it.
    Sorry for my English.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 29 Apr 2013, 4:18pm

The NZ marriage has received royal approval? So I’m assuming the Queen has appended her signature already? I’m surprised the opponents of equal marriage are protesting that?

1. Laws in NZ don’t require the signature of Lizzy Windsor. They’re signed off by NZ’s Governor General.

1. That’s correct your government is a scam just like Australia’s. Claiming power from a constitution that lost it’s power when you became a sovereign nation.

2. Jesus! Robert in Sarf Kensington really seems to believe that the British Empire hasn’t crumbled and his Great White Queen still rules the waves!!!! Hilarious.

1. Queen Elizabeth II is NZ’s head of state. The governor-general is the Queen’s representative, not an executive in his or her own right.

5. Bit of a sense of humour failure here!

6. it’s good to feel included! err, no. it’s too soon, we are still aching from the fight (as it were!) so it just comes across as callous and homophobic (also the skinhead wife one) so change it! what about “je$us really existed… yeah right” or “new zealand isn’t full of religious bigots… yeah right”.

7. Tui beer tastes great, Yeah Right.

If its not negative, lets see them put that up.

1. A very sensible comment David. I like it.

8. Context is everything and given that this is already a popular meme, adding in husband is actually more inclusive if anything. Unfortunately, if you don’t know this, it’s a bit of a misfire. But I don’t think homophobia was at play here.

1. I tend to agree — I didn’t know it was an ongoing slogan (I’ve never seen the ads before), but if it is, then you’re right, it’s actually more inclusive than negative.

9. I don’t get it.

I’ve also tried replacing the word “husband” with “wife”, or “dad” with “mum” and I still don’t get it.

I’m stupid :*-(

1. Well, don’t beat yourself up, lalocura. :-) because it’s not particularly advanced humour. “Yeah right!” has been chosen because it’s ambiguous. It can be taken as a good-humoured term showing agreement, AND it can be taken as a dry, almost sarcastic (eye-rolling) term showing disagreement.

So in this case the scenario presented is as follows:

One person ventures to the other the statement: “Dad’s new husband seems nice”.

And the other person responds with “Yeah, right!”

Because “Yeah, right!” can be taken ambiguously, the meaning of the interchange is also ambiguous.

Do I like this ad? No. It’s an insensitive choice, so close on the heels of such a controversial piece of legislation. It could have referred to Same-Sex Marriage in a pleasant way. Instead it has chosen to alight on the possibility of divorce, even raising the notion that Dad has had, or will have, a number of different husbands.

The ad is deliberately insensitive, and deliberately controversial.

1. OK… having read this and other people’s explanations (“Everyone knows the joke about not liking your parent’s new partner”) it becomes clear that the nuclear stability of my upbringing is hindering me.

Not very funny, but I can’t say it upsets me. I hear much worse on BBC/Channel 4.

10. So, after decades of complaining about being invisible, now we complain about being included in a lighthearted joke. It might not be very funny, but we’re not trying to police other people’s sense of humour, are we?

11. CanadianChris 29 Apr 2013, 7:36pm

Sure, it’s about inclusiveness. Yeah right. Anyone with a brain knows what was implied.

12. common sense 29 Apr 2013, 8:59pm

This is just stupid. The ad is not in any way homophobic. It is one of a series of ads in a similar vein around a whole lot of life events. This particular ad was created specifically around marriage equality so it is if anything warily PC.

Really I am getting sick of how bloody over sensitive some gay people have become. There is real and very potent homophobia out there but you choose to wet your pants over something that is just a joke.

13. Argh, I’m tired of this. It’s not Homophobic. Everyone knows the joke about not liking your parent’s new partner. I think people need to grow up and realise it’s not the sexuality that’s being joked about here it’s the idea that a parent’s new partner is ‘nice’.

14. Gary Strickland 29 Apr 2013, 10:32pm

People really need to step back and take a good look a themselves. All this paranoia of seeing homophobia in the little stuff totally undermines the credibility of the real fight against homophobia. This ad is no more homophobic than I am. And I’m not! I’m a very happy and proud gay man.

15. I feel like people are taking this the wrong way and are making too big of a deal out of it.

16. Spanner1960 30 Apr 2013, 12:17am

People are just too sensitive.
    I see nothing derogatory towards gay men, it is merely highlighting a new social scenario, and making a joke out of it. People really need to lighten up.

17. Frank Boulton 30 Apr 2013, 9:20am

I think that people are divided over this advertisement because of the ambiguity of the words “Yeah, right.” The whole point of these advertisements is that they follow hot on the heels of breaking news.

We can;t have our cake and eat it. I’m personally more pleased with the visibility and inclusion that it give gay people than I am disappointed with the homphobia, which others oerceive here. In the late 1980′s a writer for one of the UK’s gay magazines was talking about how heterosexism was aggressively promoted everywhere, incloding on the corflake pack. He finished with the message of hope that “One day we’ll be on the cornflake packet.” Well, we’re not exactly on the cornflake packet but we’re certainly in the beer ads, one of the most heterosexual of all domains.

Tui did an ad after the Civil Union Bill was passed. It read, “So, Civil Union isn’t gay marriage. Yeah, right.”

18. I honestly cannot see what everyone’s problem with this is? It’s a joke about the fact that on the whole ex-wives will probably feel a little resentment towards their husband’s new partner. It’s almost the plot of 50% of rom-coms ever made. We ask heterosexual people to include us and if anything ignore our sexuality and as soon as they do all we can do is focus on it!

19. I fail to see what is so offensive about this ad? Tui have been running the ‘Yeah, right’ campaign for years and it is very tongue in cheek and in all honesty, I do think that this is very light hearted in comparison to what it could have been.

Sometimes the LGBT community do need to lighten up a bit and learn to appreciate the humour! I know I do