Peter Tatchell: ‘Lobby the Lords for marriage equality’

1. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Apr 2013, 12:26pm

Peter is absolutely right. If we remain complacent, the fate of this bill will be in peril. Apathy and complacency are recipes for disaster, especially among gay couples who believe CPs are adequate but who don’t really care about the rest of us who want to marry. We’ve seen three countries introduce equal marriage this month. Let’s make sure that pro-activism aimed at the Lords will make us number 15. It can’t be emphasised enough. Spread the word on Facebook, Twitter. Contact the Lords at the link in the article. You can be sure C4M and their band of hate-mongers are already ahead of the game. Don’t let them beat us because there are many like-minded Lords waiting to scuttle the bill. Don’t let it happen.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Apr 2013, 12:31pm

Another thing, there are some in the Lords who will be emboldened by the recent demonstrations and violence in Paris to vote it down and some may not. It is crucial and vital that all of us go over and above board to let the Lords know what we want. Many of the MPs who voted no did so because they received next to nothing from those in support of equal marriage but were inundated with mail from opponents in their constituencies. Don’t allow that to happen again. A campaign should have been mounted immediately after the vote on February 5th. I’m appalled that StonewallUK and Out4Marriage haven’t been more pro-active

2. Thomas Bird 25 Apr 2013, 12:45pm

I sent a fax to the Lords and got a response saying too many similar messages were sent :( maybe as I used the standard e mail.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Apr 2013, 1:51pm

You can only send a maximum of six I think. I completed the form that Peter provided in his link and read that more than six from one individual would be deleted.

3. Colin (London) 25 Apr 2013, 12:57pm

Actually I had thought this but others told me i was wrong. i wrote to every MP in the UK to support SSM.

Now I will do the equivilent to Hol.

Plese get this message to your friends gay and straight who support us for SSM.

This is a moment in history for us a minority group who need support from free thinking people.

We need to say thank you to them somehow but pass the HOL issue on to all. One letter, on eemail, one personal visit can change UK and other countries to be inclusive societies.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Apr 2013, 1:54pm

Well done, Colin. Let’s hope thousands upon thousands do the same. We simply can’t let this go down in flames and rely on the activism of a minority of us. If the consultation and Out4Marriage campaign are anything to go by in terms of numbers, we need to do a lot more to make sure those numbers go even higher for the Lords. I contacted Out4Marriage several days ago and StonewallUK weeks ago but received NO response from either. Not very encouraging.

4. I have just written to one of the lords.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Apr 2013, 2:00pm

Write to many more, David. I’m sending more than the six I contacted via Peter’s link. Just send any more to them to the collective address, i.e.
      House of Lords, London, SW1A 0PW.

1. Will do Robert :-)

5. Mumbo Jumbo 25 Apr 2013, 1:54pm

Although Lords do not have constituencies, they are often associated with certain areas (eg. Lord Bumfluff of Biggerbottom) so type in where you live here:

And then you can write to them more personally as two people associated with that area.

There is a guide to lobbying Lords and suggested draft you can use here:

1. Just written to my local one as well.

I dont know if this will help anyone but I have been putting the following.

Sorry its split over 2 messages but this wont hold it all in 1.

2. I am writing to you regarding the Same sex equality bill that is currently proposed.

Being a gay man myself I would truly wish to marry my long term partner and have the recognition that marriage brings.

I know there is a lot of religious opposition to this bill, I would ask you to consider when it is time to vote on this bill that this is a civil matter, not a religious one, and that their rights have been protected in that no one can force them to marry us in a church.

We are one of gods creations and in time, people in the church will realise this and stop their campaign which has included world ending theories and blame for natural events. I can assure you we do not have any magical power to cause earth quakes or floods. There are now 14 countries that have equal marriage, nothing has happened there and nothing will happen here.

3. Please remember that the Church also opposed equal rights for Women and Blacks, they now have no problem with either of these in wider society and they will accept us as well, progress is a painful thing but ultimately a good thing.

Please vote in favour of this bill and urge other Lords who are unsure, to vote in a positive way for this bill. It won’t harm anyone and will mean so much to those such as me, who are denied such a basic right to express love like others can.

Thank you for reading my request.

6. Godric Godricson 25 Apr 2013, 1:59pm

I’ve written the six Lords I’m allowed to contact. This calls for ‘hard copy’ letters. This legislation is too important to see it fall now.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Apr 2013, 2:30pm

Wonderul, Godric. We must all send the link to family and friends who support us.

7. keith, moral instructor 25 Apr 2013, 3:59pm

Lets lobby for consenting ault sons to marry their consenting adult fathers also as this is currently illegal. Why stop at one abomination?

1. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Apr 2013, 5:03pm

Why don’t you since you seem to be the only one obsessing about it as well as gay sex, idiot!

1. keith, moral instructor to deviants 25 Apr 2013, 5:15pm

It seems the gay brigade are happy to canvas for the support of non gays for their deviant purposes yet when the cause of other consenting harmless groups is highlighted, they prefer to look the other way.
        Bad Samaritan!
        Personally , I am against same sex marriage and consensual father and son marriage on the grounds that both are sinful and morally wrong. Robert S Kensington does not know why he is opposed to father and son marriage. he may invoke some ‘power imbalance’ defence but he forgets that power imbalance is not a legal consideration in marriage and the only legal requirement is adult consent.

1. Spanner1960 25 Apr 2013, 6:04pm

Sinful?
          Wasn’t there a line somewhere about “he who is without sin cast the first stone”?

I think there is also one about people living in glass houses not throwing them either.

1. ‘Let he who is without sin among your first cast a stone at her.’ Gotta love the KJV!
            FYI, Jesus also told the adulteress to ‘go and sin no more.’ So she didn’t actually get away scot free.

2. keith, moral instructor to deviants 25 Apr 2013, 6:47pm

Jesus never said those words. They were erroneously added by people such as yourself later on. Most bibles that include those words contain a footnote which explains that they are false.
            Not that I would expect you to know anything scholarly or moral.

3. keith, moral instructor to deviants 25 Apr 2013, 6:50pm

So are you saying it is not a sin, or morally wrong, for a consenting father and adult son to have sex?

2. I don’t have a problem with incest. None of my business. A rather feeble excuse I often hear is ‘it leads to birth defects.’ Should we also forbid, say, people with dwarfism from having kids because they’ll inherit their parents’ disorder. No. That’s called eugenics. People today feel the same way about incest as they did about homosexuality 40 or 50 years ago, i.e. ‘It’s just wrong.’ Nothing wrong with incest. None of your or my business.

1. keith, moral instructor to deviants 25 Apr 2013, 6:49pm

The fact that you don’t have a problem with father and son sex shows exposes your lack of morals, the same flight from moraliy which allows homosexuality.

3. bobbleobble 25 Apr 2013, 7:03pm

Actually power imbalance is a legal consideration in marriage. It’s why a 16-18 year old in England can’t marry without the consent of their parents. It’s also why it’s a criminal offence to force someone to enter into a marriage against their will. Coercion is also a ground for having a marriage annulled.

So wrong as usual Keith.

1. keith, moral instructor to deviants 25 Apr 2013, 9:10pm

The law allows a 16 year old to get married with parental consent moron because a 16 year old is not a legal adult. Nohing to do with power imbalance which is why an 18 year old can marry an 80 year old WITHOUT consent. Therefore, if an ADULT male father and son wish to marry, they should have every right to according to the reasons homosexuals state which are that where there is adult consent and no harm is caused to other persons, there should be no legal bar.

8. Just wrote to a Lord. I found it really difficult. It’s such a no brainer to me I found it hard to find the words to ask for suppport. Oh well, got there in the end.

9. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Apr 2013, 5:14pm

One of the six random Lords II contacted turned out to be none other than the infamous Lord Carey of Clifton, lol. I went ahead and contacted him knowing his mind is already made up but then it dawned on me. His god has worked in very mysterious ways lately his wonders to yet perform. 14 countries thus far with equal marriage and one more American state yesterday.

10. The New Zealand law brings equal marriage, and so does the French one (except in French Polynesia), but it is yet more alienating that Tatchell is still saying the England and Wales bill will mean equality, when it clearly won’t. And it probably closes the door on marriage equality permanently.

England and Wales will have same-sex marriage, which is a big YAY!, but it isn’t what was promised.