Metropolitan Police: Homophobic crime down across London

1. Or (and call me crazy) people think it a complete and utter bloody waste of time to report these crimes, and have precisely no faith in the system?

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

1. That is partly true. The figures are only in relation to ‘reported crime’ and shouldn’t correlate to actual crime. To state ‘homophobic hate crime’ as being down is incorrect. However I disagree with it being a ‘bloody waste of time’. Hate crime detections and prosecutions are actually quite high (compared with other detection rates). Yes, the criminal justice system often lets down victims of crime but the majority are successfully prosecuted and as LGBT citizens we need to ensure that remains the case and report all hate crime lest the ‘authorities’ get the impression it’s less severe than it actually is.

1. Croydon Guy 24 Apr 2013, 6:55pm

An important change has taken place.
        Following the lessons learned from the tragic murder of Stephen Lawrence, a (possible) hate crime was flagged as such if the officer, the victim or anyone else thought it was a hate crime.

The community must have confidence that suspect incidents are investigated as possible hate crimes, otherwise they don’t believe that it has been investigated properly. It’s a matter of public confidence.

A couple of years ago in my local LGBT police forum, the police failed to list as hate crimes, incidents we already knew about. Instead, a new set of exceptions had come into play.
        In a couple of cases the victims didn’t want the incident listed as a hate crime. (In one they changed their minds later, in the other it would have revealed the victim was having hanky panky).

The police still don’t seem to know how many incidents have been de-classified.

So they simply don’t know whether numbers have gone up, down, or stayed the same.

2. The fact that you have a huge gap between how people feel and official statistics indicates that not all crimes are reported (though tabloids tend to make people more paranoid too). If you look at the ridiculos sentencing in some high-profile cases, one might understand why reporting crimes seems a waste of time to many…

3. Wait till marriage equality is about to happy.

The majority of Tory MP’s believe we are 2nd class citizens.

They will be actively inciting hatred against us.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Apr 2013, 3:25pm

I’m not so sure about that. If you’ve noticed, our opponents have been particularly silent since the violence erupted in France. They don’t want to be associated with any of that which would only harm their ’cause’ if you could call it that. If anything, it might motivate some to evolve. They’d be very foolish to spin it to their advantage too. Either way, what happened in France hasn’t really given them a boost, quite the opposite. I suspect for many, it’s had a very sobering effect on them. They can’t afford to be seen fomenting similar anti-social behaviour any more.

2. And 60% to 70% of British muslims think that we should be “punished” as criminals for being gay. 20 years ago, east London had 20 gay bars and clubs, now it has 3.

4. Brett Gibson 24 Apr 2013, 2:56pm

The police never did nothing for no one. So really intelligence and common sense have risen.

5. These figure are NOT a true reflection of gay hate crimes/acts in the UK.

Where I live I have been called batty boy more than once – have not reported this matter so guess Im to blame for not reporting this homophobic act.

LGBT do not trust the police

6. I don’t believe these fiddled statistics being reported about crime in the UK today by a some austrailian think tank . Just recently my friend was victim of attempted mugging coming home but she scared the scum off, she went to the police station, told what happened , the guy on the desk said they were already on the case as similar description of mugger was by someone else and police were at scene, Transpired 3 people were victims of attempted mugging that night but only details were reported of one victim. Hence 2 persons were obsolete from statistical data. I would suspect this is common practice.
    As for homophobic crime most is unreported , as nothing is done about it if you do, and then when it occurs again, it seems pointless to bother for most as they have lost faith in the service.

7. I have seen both really good and really bad handling of a crime by the police. Sadly I think it is down to the individual officer.

We must keep reporting crimes though, the police are driven by statistics, if it looks like everything is ok the situation will only get worse.

1. However you can never be sure that when you report something it is actually recorded. I bet half the time they don’t bother to do the paperwork.

1. Agreed and I was referring to everyday crime above.

8. Indeed . . .

Many decide never to report homophobic hate crimes.

galop are always encouraging individuals to report all forms of hate crime.

9. drop in reporting levels

10. Croydon Guy 24 Apr 2013, 6:13pm

Over the past couple of years the same criteria for homophobic and transphobic crime have been used, but exceptions have been introduced. In Croydon we’ve had cases where the incident was not classed as a hate crime because the victim asked for it not to be.
    This does nothing to reassure other LGBT people who see it as a hate crime, and see that it will not now be investigated as such.
    The police seem to have no way of knowing how many such crimes have been de-classified. So any claim that homophobic and transphobic hate crime have gone down, would seem to be groundless. They don’t know, and we don’t know whether it has gone up, down, or stayed the same.

11. So where, apart from Brewer St, is it safe for two men to walk in the UK holding hands. Or, a perfectly simple kiss?

1. Tower Hamlets, as apparently homophobic attacks there are falling. It’s in the bloody report, so it must be so…

2. I’m waiting for some phoney pc liberal telling how tolerant London is(in their bubble), to reply with the usual comment they leave on these threads , telling us how once they were in deepest darkest southwark or someit at a bashment gig ,kissing their man and everyone was all warm and fluffy, as if their convenient story is convincing. Well my fella got glassed just off soho for kissing me. I never see same sex affection on the streets of London except maybe at pride or outside comptons, and we all know why.

1. Where do you live Rapture? I recently held hands with a guy I was dating in Canary Wharf. I’ve also done it across London. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t do it in Peckham/Tottenham or such places, but we can’t sit back and complain – we need to do something about it – create visibility in safer places, it’s a start! Saying that, I’ve seen two separate incidences of lesbians openly kissing in Tooting of all places!

3. Many suburban parts of north London – Islington/Finchley.Highgate/ Barnet.

SW london – Richmond, Chiswick, Barnes, Chelsea and Kensington.

Central London is fine. I’ve seen gay couples openly kissing and holding hands across zone 1 and not just in Soho.

However, I wouldn’t advise holding hands in most places in SE London and many areas of south London, UNLESS you know these areas well.

Basically, I’m a real advocate for same sex pda. Until we start showing visibility and I’m under no illusion that this’ll be a hard thing to do, we will never see change.

12. Suddenly Last Bummer 24 Apr 2013, 7:52pm

Homophobia is rife in schools in London but i get cause its the ”yoof” and they’re ”effnics” then it ain’t a crime. Also Tower Hamlets has become the ultimate shyte hole full of homophobes.

1. I live in Tower Hamlets and it isn’t a ‘shyte’ hole as you descibe.

Write to TH council if you feel so strongly.

13. How many of us really feel safe holding hands with someone of the same sex in the street?

These figures mean nothing. Homophobia is under reported and worse still, actively sponsored by wealthy and well organised brain washing institutions (the church and so forth).

14. Do we really need to waste the time of the Police and our own by reporting every single incidence of homophobic abuse? Okay, for example someone asks “Do you like dicks?”, would you classify that as homophobic?

I have no faith in the system whatsoever.

The crime isn’t decreasing, its just the number of people reporting them are decreasing. We shouldn’t however, just accept abuse as part of being gay.

15. friday jones 24 Apr 2013, 11:17pm

This is more of an indication of the police’s refusal to make proper reports than of any actual drop, if anything the bashing seems to have gotten substantially worse in the past three years or so. Mostly due to importing new religious jackasses to take over the bashing duties.

16. I am very suspicious of claims made about falling crime figures. Especially since a recent Facebook thread described how a cyclist who was assaulted by a motorist in a road rage attack was told that his assailant would not be prosecuted because he had no record. If they aren’t prosecuting people because they don’t have a record, and therefore not giving people a record in the first place so that they can be prosecuted, there’s only one way for crime figures to go.

17. Bella Newman 20 Oct 2013, 8:34pm

Hi there, I am very interested in talking to people who are currently experiencing homophobic hate crime across the boroughs of London, but also within Tower Hamlets. If you’d like to talk to me in confidence, I’d be most grateful. Contact me at unreportedfilms@gmail.com Many thanks.