Straight, married City trader subjected to years of ‘heartbreaking’ homophobic abuse

1. That There Other David 23 Apr 2013, 1:49pm

I believe him. In my experience trading floors are full of vile junkies.

2. “The representative for BGC , Schona Jolly, asked James whether he thought the alleged abuse may have been nothing more than banter.”

Ms Jolly, that kind of ‘banter’ is not acceptable in any way, shape or form, regardless of what people look like or what their sexual preferences may be. That kind of ‘banter’ needs to be wiped out and punished for the vile, bullying language that it is.

3. It’s disgraceful-“nothing more than banter”?!
    If people had been throwing around racist jokes and names then nobody would have dared suggest it was just “banter”, and if they did it would not have been taken as a valid legal point.
    What a disgrace.

1. That There Other David 23 Apr 2013, 2:43pm

The same people regularly do throw around racist and anti-Semitic jokes as “banter”.

2. I’ve met gay and straight people who throw “around racist jokes and names” and call it banter.

4. Julian Morrison 23 Apr 2013, 2:13pm

Why exactly is it we tolerate these sociopaths? Somebody should dose the cocaine supply with arsenic. Half the City would keel over dead.

5. Robert in S. Kensington 23 Apr 2013, 2:14pm

If this had been about women, I think Ms. Jolly would have taken a very different view. She stereotyped Mr. James condescendingly by claiming that since he was a former rugby player and of a 6’3″ stature and married with children he was obviously straight. She needs to get out more and meet some real gay men and learn something about who we are. Ignorant bint.

1. And it doesn’t appear that anybody in the court had the wit and the spontaneity to instantly call “Objection!” and then object to Ms. Jolly’s insinuation that gay men are not likely to play rugby and be well-built and tall. Surely there was at least one person in the court who noticed the insinuation. We have to strike immediately when these things are said.

1. we do not shout objection in this country.

1. I have led a number of campaigns in a number of different counties here in England, James, and I have observed people reaching forward to their microphones and quickly uttering the word “Objection!” before the moment has passed. I have done so myself and succeeded in stopping the proceedings and having a point corrected or bringing forth an apology for an error made. I hope this information is of benefit to you.

2. clearly never heard of Gareth …

6. I don’t know the ins and outs of this case, but one explanation could be that the guys who subjected him to homophobic abuse couldn’t actually deal with the fact that they fancied him. (The photograph that the Standard is running shows he’s quite a looker.)

So it could have been another case of “heterosexual” men being unable to deal with homosexual side.

1. Goodness gracious me! I would love to catch a glimpse of what you hold to be a looker then!

7. BGC shame on you – that said my partner works in the City and homophobia is alive and well thank you very much.

Many don’t complain because they have concerns about their future and mortgage . Its easy to say find another job but its not always as straight forward as it may appear.

Email BGC and complain

8. Jock S. Trap 23 Apr 2013, 3:07pm

Seems to me that Ms Jolly needs to understand that this kind of football terrace banter is Not acceptable anywhere, workplace or otherwise.

She seems to be making allowances of things that never should be.

I question if she is suitable for her own job!

9. Could you maybe analyse a bit more what the representative says – has she not been to XXL? There are plenty of 6ft3 rugby players there. A very dated and prejudiced concept of being gay.

10. “Schona Jolly, asked James whether he thought the alleged abuse may have been nothing more than banter. She said: “As a 6ft 3in rugby player, who is married with children, that was the joke as you are clearly not gay,”

Very insightful Shona. Of course if he had been gay and 6ft 3in and a rugby player it would have been completely wrong, and not funny at all?

If that is the best defence they have I hope he sues the pants off them.

1. de Villiers 23 Apr 2013, 4:06pm

Was that not what he was already doing?

11. Totally agree about the City – it is still deeply homophobic (yet on Grindr there are thousands of men in the City, most as faceless torsos).

1. But they’re not gay, they’re 100% straight. They just like to suck cock occasionally.

12. maybe the gay community should sue James for effectively claiming that being called gay is offensive. That seems to me to suggest that he is as homophobic as those making the comments.