France: Water cannons deployed in Paris ahead of same-sex marriage vote

1. That There Other David 23 Apr 2013, 12:37pm

Doesn’t take much for those against equality to show their true nastiness. All this violence and all these threats just because the French government dares to live up to the country’s motto.

Roll on 2:15 our time :-)

1. Tim Hopkins 23 Apr 2013, 1:57pm

I think it’s 15.15 BST – I certainly read that it is 16.15 French time. Not 100% sure though.

1. Liam the God 23 Apr 2013, 2:07pm

It’s GMT/UTC, which is 16:15 BST or 17:15 CET

1. Tim Hopkins 23 Apr 2013, 2:16pm

They’re doing Government questions at the moment, although the previous question was about same-sex marriage. Liam is right about the relative times, but I thought the vote was due at 16.15 French time, 15.15 our time, 14.15 GMT!

Anyway the live feed is here:

2. That There Other David 23 Apr 2013, 2:34pm

I don’t think that the GMT bit was in there when I first looked. Could be wrong though.

2. It has just gone through. Nice grudging announcement on BBC news.

2. Bloody hell, water cannons and “legions of officers”!?

This is going to be a very strange kind of triumph for the lesbians and gays of France.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 23 Apr 2013, 1:05pm

C4M will be watching in frustration that the same thing isn’t happening in the UK, especially Ann Widdecombe who said she was surprised that nobody was taking to the streets. Odd that C4M didn’t do just that if they’re so concerned about marriage and children. However, I’ve no doubt they will spin it and try to inject more fear in the Lords. Hopefully, the majority of them won’t fall for it. I can just imagine the histrionics appearing in their postcard writing campaign and in other forms of communication to derail equal marriage aimed at the upper chamber. Meanwhile, our side sits idly by and does nothing.

1. Your post has been me wonder if a worst-possible-scenario in France could in a strange way actually support our case. I hope to goodness it does not happen, but it’s feasible to imagine that those who have so horrendously beaten the several young Frenchmen in the last two weeks COULD retaliate against the passing of the legislation by inflicting a atrocity. Boston has shown us how it only takes one nutter with a laptop and pressure-cooker. Imagine the worst outcome of such behaviour: it could, just possibly, shock our enemies here in Britain, and elsewhere, to their senses? Embarrass them? Lead to unprecedented denunciations from politicians and a sudden increase in support for us?

4. A civil war in the USA was necessary to repeal slavary. I hope France doesn’t need to take such measures to defend human rights.

5. I moved to France in 2009 and lived with my boyfriend. The people accepted us for the kind people that we are. Being gay doesn’t make us any less of a human being. Our French neighbours are appalled at the protests in Paris and in other cities. But they are being led mainly by Frigide Barjot, someone who is on the wrong side of history and also her companion Xavier who is gay himself is standing against us too.

6. Could the water be coloured pink and be sticky perhaps.

7. Frigide Barjot is an evil woman. She wanted her 15 minutes of fame and she has stirred up all this hate in the mean time.

8. Xavier Bongibault 23 Apr 2013, 1:35pm

la Bastille has once many cannons too. But …

1. bobbleobble 23 Apr 2013, 1:40pm

The French Revolution removed a tyrant and bring about something more egalitarian. Your current movement is designed to prevent equality and overrule the majority will of the French people expressed through elections over the last couple of years in order to effectively bash a minority.

What you and your ilk are currently doing would shame the people who stormed the Bastille in order that people could be treated fairly. And you should be ashamed for invoking their memory in your homophobic crusade.

1. Well said, Bobble.

2. Stockholm Syndrome and 5 minutes of fame can do a lot of ‘dommage’. Now I know why London has hundreds and thousands of French immigrants seeking freedom, choice, quality of life and a chance to be something other than stuck in a bourgeois fantasy society run by either pigeons or caviar socialists. Merde.

9. Meanwhile, different religions in New Zealand deal with aftermath of the passing of Marriage Equality, with the Hindus appearing to be the most open while most of the rest are responding negatively.

10. Despite its self-image, France is more and more like the USA each day. After living there on and off for over a decade, I am not surprised at the right-wingedness of it all. Culturally stagnating, run by an outrageous republican monarchical elite, economic inflexibility, shameful WWII denial, and assumptions that a revolution long now only a ritualised myth, we’re supposed to see such public anger as normal? This country is circling the drain. London, je t’aime.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 23 Apr 2013, 2:23pm

Agreed! With all our faults, as far as the equal marriage debate is concerned, we’re a far better society and a lot more civilised. Even our own opponents come across almost polite comparatively. The notion of France being the bastion of culture, sophistication and social tolerance is a myth born outside of the country, primarily in the United States. We in the UK never hid our weaknesses and eventually concede the wrongs we have done and move on. France has never learned that lesson. Too haughty and proud to stoop to such levels. Give me London any day.

1. I think France is more divided than people realise, culturally I mean. There has been indeed a great swing to things Yankee in France, and that’s unpleasant. But only certain layers of French society indulge in that. At the same time there’s far more of the culture and sophistication that I prefer in Paris than in London. And I think that’s why every time I go I hear and see lots of cultured gay Brits, young and old, who have just popped over for the weekend!

2. your concede the wrongs you have done??? funny….And learn french history before speak about things you don’t know…dailymail is not a history book guys.

Oh and i give you London with the big hope you stay there forever!

3. This, “My country is better than your country” shite is really tedious.

At least Eddy has acknowledged that his preference for Paris is based on subjective opinion.

4. “Even our own opponents come across almost polite comparatively”

Sorry have to disagree there, Closet case Keith Obrien said that gay marriage was “grotesque” and compared it with slavery and Nazism. There have been hate campaigns by Imams against Muslim MPs who voted for equality. And then of course there’s Anne Widdecombe banging on about how gay peoples civil rights arent a “priority” compared to unemployment, healthcare etc.

We might be more gay-friendly than the French but you can hardly say we are a paradise.

11. A large portion of the French public are making themselves look uncivilized. Doesn’t do much for tourism either. Their religious objections to the civil liberties of their gay population is unfair and falling on the wrong side of history.

1. Large portion??? 50.000 peoples is a large portion of 65 millions???
      And not worry for France, french and our tourisn, is not your concern….

1. Every time I read your comments Mathias, you sound so unhappy and bitter–and I know it’s not my concern–But I hope you mood improves for you.

12. Robert in S. Kensington 23 Apr 2013, 4:10pm

Equal marriage just passed in the Assembly by 321-225 I believe. Disgraceful interruption by the hatemongers in the gallery.

13. Robert in S. Kensington 23 Apr 2013, 4:16pm

The actual vote was 331-225, not 321-225.

14. They ought to be careful, this could be a serious animal rights issue. Remember, putting them down is more humane.

15. CH Brighton 23 Apr 2013, 4:25pm

The votes done! France is the 14th country where same send marriage is lawful.

16. Congratulations. France is the 14th country to legalise same sex marriage! :-D

1. I learnt it from you first, Shaun. Thank you. Good news. I’m relieved. It’ll be interesting now to observe the aftermath.

17. Whoopity- doo – BBC Newss just reported that it passed with a majority of 279. Also that opinion polling shows 60% of French people support the measure.

Issues around IVF and surrogacy have been deferred and are to be discussed in a Family Law bill later in the year.