Nick Clegg: ‘More diversity is needed within the Lib Dems’

1. Robert in S. Kensington 21 Apr 2013, 8:01pm

All three parties need greater diversity, not just the Lib Dems, Nick.

2. One thing to note is that the Lib Dems stood a lot of female, BME, LGBT+ etc. candidates in seats they were hoping to gain in 2010.

Despite Cleggmania and an increase in the overall Lib Dem vote, the Lib Dems actually lost seats and the diversity wasn’t added to the Lib Dem MPs – in fact, several of the lost seats belonged to women, for starters.

3. Spanner1960 21 Apr 2013, 8:10pm

Utter crap.
    Positive discrimination never works.

You need to employ the best people for the job; if they happen to be from minorities, all well and good, but I’d much rather have a white heterosexual Anglo-Saxon Christian that can do their job than some black single parent save the lesbian whale type just so as they can keep up their public image.

1. Who said anything about positive discrimination? The Lib Dem party has repeatedly decided against permitting positive discrimination in selecting Parliamentary Candidates.

1. Spanner1960 22 Apr 2013, 8:55am

What the hell is “promoting diversity” then?
        It is pushing minorities ahead of the pack.

I have no problem in educating people to recognise the benefits of taking on minorities, but I see no reason why black, Asian, disabled and gay people should be given any more help than anybody else.
        Either they can do the job, or they can’t.

1. Sister Mary Clarence 22 Apr 2013, 9:39am

Which pack is that then?

Have we all just been parachuted into Lord of the Flies or something?

1. Spanner1960 26 Apr 2013, 12:47am

You’re the socialist, I’m sure you can work that one out.

2. The problem is, people are prejudiced and aren’t very good at determining who is the best person for the job. For example, there have been experiments in which people have been given descriptions of candidates for a job and are asked to rate them. In areas of work dominated by men, people tend to give men higher scores than women, even if the rest of the description is identical (the reverse is true for areas dominated by women). Besides, parliamentary candidates aren’t selected by HR people looking at CVs – they are chosen by a combination of local party activists and national party executives, based on whatever criteria they choose. I think it’s also arguable that it is very important that the government is made up of a diverse group of people, otherwise you end up with entire segments of the population feeling that the government doesn’t really represent them.

1. Spanner1960 22 Apr 2013, 8:56am

That is an entirely different kettle of fish then.
        Start employing HR people that ARE good at determining who is best for a job, or train them up to be.

Don’t blame the symptom, find the cure.

4. Oddly, the Lib Dems are the only party to have a representative proportion of gay male MPs on their benches – 3, which is 6% of 50 male MPs, about the right proportion judging by the GEO’s statistical reckoning.

They need more bisexual MPs (the only out bi MP in parliament is one of theirs — but pro rata to the country there should be another four or so) and some out lesbians.

Though with only 7 women MPs, proportionality would be half a gay/bi woman. Perhaps one of them could come out just for the second half of this parliament?

1. Spanner1960 22 Apr 2013, 9:04am

Oh get real.
      Does a party have to have representatives that mirror society?
      Or do we need a one-legged Asian geriatric bisexual from Cornwall to represent a proportional cross-section of the population? Any good politician should understand the needs of all their constituents without necessarily BEING in that persons shoes – (or shoe, in certain cases.)

5. Liam the God 21 Apr 2013, 10:04pm

Nick Clegg needs a BACKBONE! My late uncle was a member of the Lib Dems until they climbed into bed with the Tories: He and his Life partner sent back their membership cards and cancelled their Direct Debits in response. TRUST is needed BEFORE you get diversity, and Clegg has pissed any “Trust” lib-dem voters had into their own faces.

1. Liam the God 21 Apr 2013, 10:48pm

Wow: Nick Clegg and Danny Alexander have voted me down! I’m HONOURED!

1. Whenever you criticise Nick Clegg on this site people vote you down (others vote you up of course) but it seems that there are lots of lib dem voters on this site who tow the party line.

None of my lib dems voting friends will be voting for them whilst this man is still the leader. Neither will I. If they don’t want to acknowledge this before the next election then that’s up to them.

1. Spanner1960 22 Apr 2013, 8:58am

I must have hit a nerve then. ;)

1. Yes but not about Clegg or even the Lib Dems.

Positive discrimination is flawed but until people overlook ethnicity, race and sex and judge people on a level playing field it’s difficult to imagine another solution.

6. It might help to get lesbian and gay diversity if the Lib Dems stopped selecting MPs like Sarah tether who vote against equality measures like equal marriage.

And they certainly need a few disabled MPs to put them right about their relationship with Atos.

7. I thought that the Lib Dems were full of gay men, particularly at a local level.

I’ve always been curious why they seem to be a party for white people.

8. Party politics aside I think what Clegg has said as an individual is insulting. What he has said is that he needs these people because of one aspect of their character i.e. disabled. Deducing them down to one thing for the sake of image. Firstly I can appreciate the need for the public to feel that they are being represented however this can also be done by those who are not a part of that specific group.(although I am able bodied I am able to empathise and be mindful of those who are not). Secondly to be represented then there are individuals who can serve a purpose in that exclusive role to represent that community but that should not mean that they get a job to fill some diversity quota. Thirdly if I got a job I would want to know that I got it through merit and my perceived ability to do the job to a high standard, not due to my sexual orientation. At the end of the day it should be completely about the job at hand and not about image.

1. And of course image comes in to it at a certain degree but dialogue and evidence in action is far more important than ticking boxes. The moment it was said that these people are needed purely because they are black, disabled, gay etc. Then it became glorified top trumps