US church: Thatcher ‘in Hell’ for doing ‘more than anyone else in the UK for fags’

1. Proof positive that the WBC are trolls – they’ll even scream at homophobes if it will get them media attention. They’re a parody of a hate group. Children saying terrible things in the hope people will pay attention to them

Which is why I’m far more worried by “legitimate” bigots – like the Catholic church and CofE

1. When we accuse others of bigotry are we not in fact accusing ourselves? Given that the overwhelming message of the Gospels is one of love, compassion, understanding and acceptance, I think hypocrite would have been a much more appropriate term to sum up your sentiment.

(No offence there Sparky…I use the word bigot also…I think I maybe thinking too much)

1. I’m not a Christian, I, frankly, don’t give a damn what the gospel says. What I do care about are large, powerful organisations like the CofE and Catholic church using their vast powers, influence and resources to demonise and attack GBLT people.

It is not bigotry to object to bigotry. It is bigotry to view another human being as inferior, less deserving or inherently evil, sick, diseased or sinful for an immutable part of their nature that does no harm to anyone or anything

So, no, I’m not going to use “hypocrite” because I don’t care if they are hypocrites. I don’t care if their interpretation of the BIble is accurate or not (though there is plenty of hate, violence and brutality in that book), I care that they are BIGOTED. I care that they are using discirmination, hatred and dehumanisation to oppose me and mine full involvement in society

2. Jock S. Trap 20 Apr 2013, 9:20am

“Given that the overwhelming message of the Gospels is one of love, compassion, understanding and acceptance,”

Yeah that’s why we see religion responsible for so much hate and violence as well as discrimination.

Hardly an advert for religion!

2. I could not agree more

2. UglyGeezer 19 Apr 2013, 4:51pm

Again, PP feeds the trolls. Please stop giving these idiots what they want, attention.

3. Please, just ignore these brain dead magic-boggled money-grasping trolls. Honestly? I loathe religion completely, but even I am not willing to think that these jokers signify or represent or typify anything at all (tempting as it might be to claim otherwise).

They’re grifters out for money and attention and by denying them one we can limit the other.

4. I’m more convinced than ever that these freaks must be funded by a gay rights organisation! This Phelps cult (I think that’s how you spell it) is doing more to bring organised religion into disrepute than any catholic priest ever could :) Keep up the great work …!

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Apr 2013, 9:22am

They know nothing… period, let alone the UK!

5. Liam the God 19 Apr 2013, 5:07pm

They know NOTHING about the UK!!

6. I really think it’s time to stop reporting what these loons do. I suspect this is the only site in the UK to give this bonkers outfit the attention they clearly so desperately crave.

On the other hand, the deranged inaccuracy of this latest offering is without some amusement value.

1. Benjamin Cohen 19 Apr 2013, 5:32pm

The church is comedy gold

1. Wow I’m honoured by your presence Ben. Where is your editorial on thatcher?

7. Robert in S. Kensington 19 Apr 2013, 5:38pm

If only she were an enabler, we wouldn’t have her legacy among the Tory back benchers in opposition and as many of them in the House of Lords to equal marriage.

1. they would be there just the same…. it is a question of process

8. That There Other David 19 Apr 2013, 5:41pm

If this is how they treat their friends it’s no surprise they have none.

9. I think this shows that the individuals who lead the Westboro Baptist Church are not only homophobes but that they hate women as well, that they’re misogynists – because they’ve certainly got Margaret Thatcher wrong on her gay rights record!

10. If these people were protesting in my backyard I’d draw the curtains and get on with it.

Just ignore them and stop boring your readership to death

11. Well, they are half right… Tho the second part of their claim is plain baffling

12. WBC have done, and continue to do, great work on behalf of LGBT. Without meaning to of course.

13. There aren’t many people in the world that are so detached from reality. It’s almost a skill, really.

14. That There Other David 19 Apr 2013, 6:27pm

Thinking about it, do you think they’ve misunderstood what “fag” means over here? She certainly did drive a lot of people to narcotics of some sort.

15. Let them turn up to picket outside Conservative Party HQ, and then we can all watch as excrement becomes a physical fact.

16. Perhaps if the world news stops mentioning these idiots that they might just realise that nobody is listening to them?

I mean, in this day of age, its inconceivable that in any civilised society that a group of troll scum would even consider picketing any funeral. I’m thinking more of the Newtown kids or the young lad killed in Boston. If one if their offspring were involved would they be so quick to picket its funeral? I think not.

Luckily these evil hatemongers aren’t even allowed in my country. I’m all for free speech but in the case of these devil spawns enough is now enough!

17. I think the WBC suffer from an attention deficit disorder. They’ll say anything to get some press. Well done Pink News for making their dreams come true.

18. Christopher in Canada 19 Apr 2013, 9:41pm

Hell is for children.
    – Pat Benatar

19. Is it just one nutter or an assortment who come out with this tripe?

20. HaHa…. Sweetie…. That’s not why . X

21. They have not got a clue have they? Someone has not read British history have they – This so bad its funny!

Seriously the media need to stop giving these people the light of day! They are completley thick and this shows it, bunch of bullies the lot of them.

22. GingerlyColors 20 Apr 2013, 6:33am

The Westboro Baptist Church certainly has got hate down to a fine art. They even hate those that are supposed to hate us, such as the Ku Klux Klan.
    I hope that all those bigots end up fighting amongst themselves.

23. A quick check on Wordsmith for an anagram of ‘Westborough Baptist Church’ gives this result: http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=Westboro+Baptist+Church&t=1000&a=n. After a cursory glance, ‘A Cobweb Crop Shits Truth’ caught my eye – it makes as much sense as anything WBC ever spouts, and feels in the right ballpark…

24. So based on a one off vote to legalise gay relations back in the 60’s they overlook Thatcher’s major contribution to keeping homophobia alive and well in the UK with clause 28?
    Either WBC are deranged fundie assholes or they’re deliberately trolling everyone across the political spectrum at once.
    Based on their track record I would guess it’s the latter – though I wouldn’t bet against the former being true as well.
    Not taking the bait.

25. So Mrs T liked a secret cigarette?
    Well it’s news to me, I hadn’t really noticed till the Westboro Baptists brought it to our attention, previously I was unaware she had done a lot to promote business for the tobacco companies but there you go.

26. Fred Phelps is not a million miles from ‘The Christan Institute’ and the likes of Dr Adrian Rogers who stood for the Tories in Exeter against Ben Bradshaw. Just because this ‘church’ exists in a dustbowl thousands of miles away across the Atlantic, it doesn’t mean to say such people are entirely unknown in the UK.

27. People, this is actually hilarious. They clearly have only a slender grasp on any kind of reality in their OWN country- does anyone think for a second that they understand the UK? PP, next time they contact you, divert the email to Spam, where it belongs.

28. What a load of shit ! So I take it the honorable Phelps has been to hell to check on Mrs T ? He should have stayed there !

29. fsdfiuhwfq 21 Apr 2013, 1:28pm

Thatcher had a good line on “The Oxygen Of Publicity”. I think it should be applied here.

30. Don’t forget, these assholes got banned from the UK! Even your government hates them!

31. Spanner1960 25 Apr 2013, 8:44am

How to confuse a gay lefty:
    Get Westboro to slag off Maggie for supporting gays.

Oh the sweet irony!

32. And I was accused of being disrespectful because i objected to a £10m funeral for her, when no such honour was bestowed on the WW1 heroes whose remains were finally identified and laid to rest!

1. Spanner1960 26 Apr 2013, 12:52am

It was £3.6m, and her family paid part of that. Do try to keep up.

33. in an earlier rant I salted Maggie I thought section 28 was anti gay ??? im glad I was wrong sorry Maggie you rocked

34. hang on hang on now im told section 28 was homophobic well then Maggie you sucked

35. I say we lift the ban on them entering our borders and promptly arrest them when they violate the laws of our land (they’d violate the hate speech laws and as a bonus they’d have the “incitement to hate crime” thrown at them too).

I’d pay to see them fail to weasel out of that as I’m sure they’d try to do. I don’t think their precious “amurican consteytushun” (sic) would curry any favours with any legal system in either the UK or the EU courts.

36. Hell…?