Brighton: English Defence League to march near city’s gay bars

1. I’d be more concerned if some extreme Islamic group descended on the area.

1. Liam the God 18 Apr 2013, 6:27pm

They will to counter the EDL. And, most likely, UAF and others will be with the Islamists as usual. It’s kind of hard to get past the “A plague on BOTH your houses!” feeling on this one.

2. I’m afraid LGBT people will have to learn the hard way that Muslims are the ones they should be afraid of. I have yet to meet a single muslim who doesn’t think gay people should die. And sadly the percentage of muslims is growing at an alarming rate.

1. Some English lgbt people are so passive and pathetic, worrying so much about extremist, muslim sensitivities, when most of this alarming mass would waste them in a heartbeat.

1. I agree with you, David and Rapture, though be prepared for the name calling to come. This article too, unfortunately, appears to miss the point. The Moslems are a far more frightening anti-gay element here.

2. Sister Mary Clarence 19 Apr 2013, 8:46am

Can’t imagine where you are burying your head then mate – go to any bar, club or sauna in London and there are significant numbers of Muslims – I haven’t come across a single one who thinks gay people should die.

I do not deny there is a strong hostility towards gay people among many practising Muslims. Sweeping (and false generalisations) like yours don’t help anyone though. Just like untold number of Christians who are non-practising, there are people of all faiths who are that faith in name only.

In any event the article is about the EDL, not about Muslims – perhaps we should be focusing on the EDL’s attitude towards gay people, rather than promoting the EDL’s agenda of hatred towards Muslims. I am sure they are perfectly capable of doing that themselves.

1. Yes mary, I’m from London, went to a majority muslim school, where vast majority were jubilant at hangings of gay people in iran , and have met plenty down low muslims on the gay scene who are very adaptable in belief, in the search for sex, must be Al Taqquia kicking in. Have known equal numbers of LGBT people who have been victimised and persecuted by muslims. I have no problem with moderate islam but my experience as that of David’s is that of only encountering extremist , home grown british muslims.

Your sweeping generalisations are subjective to you. And you contradict your rant with “I do not deny there is a strong hostility towards gay people among practising muslims” You clearly are very confused.

3. David (popular name) 19 Apr 2013, 10:22am

That is a very sweeping statement, If you don’t know any tolerant Muslims, you’re not looking very hard. I know plenty of Muslims that are ok with us, I’ve even been on a gay cruise in Turkey that was run by Muslims and it was one of the best holidays I had, Soho has a Moroccan bar.

There is good and bad in all parts of society. We hate sweeping statements about us, let’s not do it to others.

2. I’m sure more than one of them will wander off course and just ‘happen’ to go into a gay bar.

3. ps The march is to be enclosed within a minutes walk of most of the gay venues in Kemptown.

4. enough is enough 18 Apr 2013, 7:43pm

It is quite ridiculous to suggest that Gay people should be concerned about the EDL, they have much more to fear from people whose religion dictates that they are automatically anti-gay. I suggest that gay people should join the march

1. Well said.

5. I suppose there’s always a bit of disruption with any demonstration, but every time I’ve heard an EDL spokesman mention the gay community it’s when they’re defending LGBT rights, so we know they’re not homophobes. They seem to be mainly concerned with opposing Islamist ideology (which probably explains why they ARE sympathetic towards the LGBT community).

1. The problem with these groups is:

First they came for the communists,
      and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a communist.

Then they came for the socialists,
      and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a socialist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
      and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
      and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a Jew.

Then they came for me,
      and there was no one left to speak for me.

If these people ever get a foot hold in society and are treated as anything more than a group of thugs, just be mindful, it may be us they come after next. Regardless of what they say now.

1. Liam the God 18 Apr 2013, 9:55pm

Right-Wing Religious groups are more of a threat to the LGBT community than the EDL. Let’s fight one war at a time, shall we? I don’t always care for the EDL (some of their members HAVE been exposed as Neo-Fascists), but as has been said before they don’t target the Gay Community, which is not something you can say about many Religious groups!

1. Well done you’ve spectacularly missed the point of Richard’s comment (which sadly, I accidentally thumbed down whilst scrolling).

1. Yep, Joss, I would say that was pretty spectacular. I’d say that’s face palm spectacular actually.

2. Gus the Guerrilla 21 Apr 2013, 10:10am

I thumbed it up again for you.

6. I hate religion – all religion.

It is divisive and monumentally stupid.

And 100% voluntary. Unlike race, sex, age, physical ability or sexual orientation.

The EDL is not simply anti-religion – it is racist.

Racism is unacceptable. As is homophobia.

I think the gay businesses of Brighton need to condemn both the racist EDL morons and the homophobic religious morons who have decided to protest on our doorstep.

Neither should be welcome.

1. Sue De Nimes 15 Jun 2013, 9:07am

Religophobia is completely unacceptable and marks you out as a divisive bigot.

7. LGBT people should be louder than anybody when it comes to supporting English Defence League. Because if Muslims ever surpass 30% of the UK’s population (and they most likely will by 2040) they can forget about any rights, let alone equal marriage. Don’t forget that many muslim majority countries still EXECUTE gay people!

1. Agreed, I feel so sorry for the younger European LGBT populations , they are doomed to oppression.

2. Sister Mary Clarence 19 Apr 2013, 8:57am

Yes, you’re absolutely right David.

You have only got to look round the globe to see how well gay communities fair under extremist rule.

Oh yeah!

Left wing, right wing – its all fantastic for us.

Those political extremists, they all love us gays!!

Oh, dear me yes – they love us.

If its a choice between supporting a Muslim ideology, or supporting an EDF one, I’ll skip both thanks.

Thankfully though it isn’t one or the other – despite what you would have us believe.

3. David (Popular name) 19 Apr 2013, 10:57am

The extreme Muslims are from very closed society, the ones who live over here become progressively less indoctrinated and more tolerant of others, Hate speech has always had problems over here and always will, I wouldn’t worry as much as you do.

The Muslim religion in my opinion is such an oppressive thing to follow, I know my husband is Muslim and gay, lots don’t follow it as it should be now, I know so many who drink alcohol, don’t pray the number of times they should or face the kabah, or fast properly. It’s no different to Christianity, there are some fanatics, but most are normal people who simply don’t understand us and find the hate towards us as wrong.

I asked my husband to tell me what is says about homosexuals in the Quran, he told me that is simply says that we should be advised that what we are doing is wrong, that’s it. No stoning or killing or any of that rubbish.

In time religion will fade as society learns more and becomes less superstitious.

1. David (original) 19 Apr 2013, 12:55pm

Hopefully you’re right and the worst-case scenario won’t happen BUT if it does it will have catastrophic consequences on our community. I wouldn’t be willing to bet that average Muslims will be able to resist the growing influence of Islamic extremists.

8. FYI, the EDL actually has an LGBT wing. I’m not sure how popular it is, though :)

1. Sister Mary Clarence 19 Apr 2013, 12:40pm

Yes it does. It no doubt helps reassure some gay people that even though they are right wing extremists they are our friends.

Going back a few years, Ernst Roehm was Hitler’s right hand man during the rise of the Third Reich. Gerhard Rossbach, and his Brown Shirts or Storm Troopers were almost exclusively homosexual. They comprised most of the leadership of the Hitler Youth.

Most of Hitler’s closest aides were homosexuals. Roehm, the Hitler Youth leader, the Minister of Justice, the Minister of Economics, his personal attorney and his bodyguards.

Of course none of this made a scrap of difference in the end as gay people often lulled into a false sense of tolerance and security were rounded up and sent off to concentration camps

I’m not suggesting for a moment that there are any similarities between the EDF, who after all are just standing up for Britain, and the Third Reich, but as my granny used to say, be careful who you jump into bed with.

2. It does, it is run by a convicted football hooligan in Blackpool who’s been banned from all the town’s gay venues for drug dealing. And if you should ever meet the fellow, you could do worse than follow Sister Mary’s granny’s advice.

9. If the EDl has such big swinging balls why didn’t they march in whitechapel?

10. GingerlyColors 19 Apr 2013, 9:35am

While we fear Muslim extremists more than the EDL, the problem with the EDL is that is has attracted a number of undesirable yahoos who are hell-bent on a controntation.
    There is a danger that an EDL demonstration together with a counter-demonstration will result in property damage including local gay businesses.

11. Even if the EDL are not officially homophobic, it doesn’t follow that we shouldn’t be concerned about them. They behave like violent fascists with many of their demonstrations turning violent. We should oppose Islamic homophobia but we should also oppose EDL racism. Not to do so would be hypocritical.

12. The author clearly hasn’t done his homework regarding this event. This is not an EDL march and its not a protest. It called March for England and organized by a group of the same name. It is not a protesting against anybody or anything. It is a March by people to show their love of England and all things English. After all it is St.Georges day next week. Unlike certain far left extremist groups try to make out, being patriotic is not being racist! The event is even advertised as a family event. Last years event was disrupted not by those marching but by the anti British UAF, Islamists and Anarchists. Who set bins on fires and started throwing missiles at the marchers and police injuring a young girl and police horses.A quick search on google will see thats true. Even if it had of been an EDL march the LGBT community have nothing to worry about. The EDL’s issue is with Islamists not LGBT’s. There are many gay and lesbian members. The EDL are 100% against Islam’s homophobic views

1. Well said, the UAF(sounds like a terrorist group) are vehement in supporting extreme anti-British values and seem intent in supporting Islamic, homophobic hate preachers with no regard for LGBT. But unfortunately many are very gullible and naïve and proclaim to be proud to be British during the Olympics etc but will passively support those who wish to erode and destroy our heritage and culture. The real racists and homophobes will be those who counter protest this day

1. I have to say UAF disgust me, they continually conflate Islamophobia with racism and even have the cheek to consider any serious criticism of Islam as “fascism”. I’ve just finished reading one of their leaflets which states that “Carroll has a long history of racial hatred towards Muslims”. Surely that’s religious hatred, not racial hatred? Ok, Islam is traditionally associated with Arabs and a few other groups of people, but is it now “racist” to condemn Nazism because it’s historically associated with Germans, or to condemn Maoism because it’s associated with the Chinese? How can anyone describe criticism of Islam as being “racial hatred”?

1. Agreed, it’s like they feed this “racism” line inappropriately to censor debate or criticism about extreme ,racist islam from real anti fascists. Essentially the UAF are racist and homophobic thugs.

2. Agreed The UAF play the race card inappropriately and wrongly to censor debate about extremism and those who refute it. By so doing they enslave thought control over those too simple to differentiate between race and belief. The UAF are the real racist, homophobic fascist thugs.

13. annoyed tourist 22 Apr 2013, 12:09pm

We visited Brighton yesterday and spent a couple of hours being herded away from the sea front by 100s of police. What a total waste of money and why should us “normal” people have been prevented from “just going on the beach”? Next time the EDL say they want to march – invite them to march off the end of the pier and be done with it.