New Zealand legalises same-sex marriage

1. Will done Newzild, congretuloytions!

[PN: 44 MPs voted against, not 33]

1. Fantastic News for the Asia-Pacific Region!

2. Error correction:

Well done New Zealand, congratulations!

1. Paul is right. Most NZers speak better English than both US and English people. We’re very versatile :-)

3. Rehan, is that a condescending British sneer I perceive in your comment? Why is it that some British citizens have their noses stuck up their arses when, as can be seen, other nations on the face of this earth are MILES ahead?

No more of your linguistic arrogance, please!

1. Not at all, I am technically a NZer as one result of the 14 years I lived there. Most of my oldest friends are NZers from my university days – and are quite as likely to send up the eccent as I am, fortunately not heving thet much of a chup on the shoulder about it!

2. Are you for real?!?! Rehan’s comment was an endearing and light-hearted take on the New Zealand accent, no “sneer”, no condescension, no malice. Just genuine good wishes to a great nation which has just got even greater. No offence intended and none should be taken.

1. No, Blazer. NO. Extraordinary comes through from NZ, but Rehean who lived there once and for reasons best known to himself no longer does, just HAD to drive his congratulations through the filter of a sneer.

I don’t know what circles Rehan was limited to while he was in New Zealand, but he is quite wrong to imply that all New Zealanders speak in the way he has implied, just as it would be wrong to offer congratulations with a near-unintelligible Geordie or Liverpudlian or Brummie accent once SSM is passed in the UK!

1. If congratulations were offered to British people in exaggerated or outdated RP would it be taken as a sneer? I think not. That extreme hypersensitivity to perceived slights is the one thing that can be tiresome about some NZers. Fortunately almost all those I know are mature enough and secure enough in themselves not to see offence where none is intended.

2. I have a sneaking suspicion why it was you may have had to leave NZ, Rehan!

3. I didn’t have to leave, Eddy. Did you?

4. Rehan, I’ve been to Britain and travelled throughout its length and breadth, so your statement “If congratulations were offered to British people in exaggerated or outdated RP would it be taken as a sneer? I think not” is invalid because RP is not the standard accent of the UK just as the accent that you have mocked is not standard throughout New Zealand. I’m not certain whether you consider yourself a Brit or not but imagine the average Brit’s reaction if congratulations were offered to Brits in general by way of some strong English provincial accent? Don’t you think that would raise an eyebrow, or even a hackle? People would rightly perceive that someone was using the opportunity of conveying congratulations in order to take the mickey, as I say above.

We in New Zealand take pride in seeking to further a truly inclusive community.

5. Oh for goodness’ sake Cheryl, lighten up! Maybe it’s a generational thing but my own friends certainly aren’t as po-faced about an affectionate send-up, and the characteristics of the accent – the vowels, the rhythm, the inflection – are widely recognised. South Asians I know also have no difficulty sending-up the various accents of their own countries either. In the UK there are also many Northern, Scottish, Welsh and Irish comedians who make career from sending up their own accents. Even Australians generally take it in good part. Only NZers, in my experience, have this anemone-like ability to interpret virtually anything as condescension.

If people here attempt, say, a Dick van Dyke-cockney accent, as many people from the US do, the worst it elicits is a groan – as I have observed many times.

2. oi, mate, Blazer! are YOU for real, mate? saying we Kiwis talk funny? you reckon that sending up the way we talk is just endearing & light-hearted? go take a HIKE!

3. Eddy, a condescending British sneer? I sincerely hope so! We’ve got to be first at something! Remember, we Brits are much much better than we say we are and much much better than we appear! That’s the whole point of our famous modesty! Anyway, I’m sure the New Zealanders wouldn’t want us to come back and take over the controls again, would they! How many Aboriginals did we finish off in Australia? How many thousands of Maoris did we see off? Did it once and we could do it again! Easy!

4. Rehan, if any of the teachers in the schools I teach in hear a pupil taking the mickey out of another pupil for the way they speak we treat it as bullying because mocking the way others speak is very hurtful. We have a wide ethnic mix in our schools and so we are always vigilant, and that includes dealing with any Kiwi child who mocks the accent of a British child.

2. Gay Activist Paul Mitchell 17 Apr 2013, 11:15am

Well done New Zealand!

I am proud of your human rights and bill of rights New Zealand!

Lift your game Australia (also known as New Holland and Convict Penal Colony) and get your finger out of your arse and join in on marriage equality too!

What an embarrassing joke my country called Australia really is in being the only western country not to have marriage equality and/or civil unions!!!!

1. Western country? How do you come by that?
      You are in the southern hemisphere and surely as much allied to countries of the east than of the west.

1. Paul, please know that the term “western” pertains to countries of a particular kind of society and government originating from Western or European countries or races as distinguished from the Eastern or Oriental. Thereby New Zealand and Australia are western nations, although they are geographically to the far west AND the far east of Europe.

2. It is true – technically Australia is a western country because it is west of New Zealand.

3. And New Zealand makes 13!

4. And this, as with Britain’s move in the same direction, from a male conservative prime minister. In Aus, we can’t even get the Labor leader onside. Incredible. This is the result of the incidious influence of the Roman Catholic Church among our politicians. Even though Gillard is an atheist many of her cabinet are not.

1. Gay Activist Paul Mitchell 17 Apr 2013, 11:36am

There actually called the well known stupid and bigoted Australian Christian Lobby (ACL) with Jim Wallace and Fred Nile both influencing and corrupting our Government at a local, state and federal level!

5. Steve of Auckland, NZ 17 Apr 2013, 11:30am

The trouble is the New Zealand Governor-General is a well known homophobic bigot and will just probably veto this SSM Bill!

Just on my way home and got home to my boyfriend and I was putting on the news and cried after listening to this fantastic wonderful news with the world’s eyes on us!

1. Surely he can’t do that – the Royal Assent is just a formality, isn’t it?

1. Dangermouse 17 Apr 2013, 1:01pm

Unlike the USA laws passed in any Dominion Parliament can’t be vetoed by anybody!

2. Kay of Wellington, NZ 17 Apr 2013, 3:14pm

No Steve. The Governor-General does not have the power to say No to a Bill without proper reasons and there are none. The Bill will be signed and come into force in four months time (after forms are printed and staff are trained).

The atmosphere in our Parliamentary debating chamber was magical tonight, with cheers for every positive speech (13 of them) and stony silence or jeers for the 3 negative speeches. Once the vote of 77 for and 44 against was read, we cheered, clapped and sang a waiata (indigenous Maori song).

We followed this with speeches from MPs and the campaigners in the Parliamentary Grand Hall, and after lots of hugs and kisses, we headed for bars around Wellington to celebrate. A monumental occasion :-)

6. Jock S. Trap 17 Apr 2013, 11:54am

This is excellent news… Congratulations New Zealand!!

Time for the rest of us to catch up!

7. The best speech of the debate. Awesome speech! MP Maurice Williamson’s MarriageEquality debate speech: http://youtu.be/pCDEiaoEP2U

1. Thanks so much for that link, Sasha! Really enjoyed it. Well done, Mr Williamson.

And what an extraordinary contrast is that video from the NZ Parliament when compared with the sickening drivel that’s been on our screens this morning. I watched the procession only. That was enough. Couldn’t be doing with religious mumbo-jumbo.

Let Thatcher’s legacy DIE with her. It’s time for a new age. Let’s hope SSM gets through here in the UK.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 17 Apr 2013, 12:30pm

Even if the Lord bigots reject it, Eddy, didn’t Maria Miller say at the second reading that the Parliament Act won’t be ruled out? So all that would mean is it would be delayed for one year from February 5th, 2013? I think such a requirement should have been eliminated long ago. It used to be two years and then reduced to one, far too long either way. To me, it makes no sense for them to reject it given the huge majority after the second reading. All they would be doing by rejecting it is delaying the inevitable. It makes the issue of Lords reform that much more necessary.

1. Well, Robert, I think we will agree that the future is uncertain, and that it’s therefore quite exciting? Who knows how things are going to go after the flush of Thatcher-love this week? And who knows what’s been going on in the committee rooms? Who knows what this new sell-your-soul-to-the-devil campaign manager is advising Cameron to do in order to secure the next election? But one thing we do know is that the cultists are hard at it, urging their MPs, urging their cult leaders. While we seem to be totally dependent on good will.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 17 Apr 2013, 3:11pm

Eddy, the problem we face is the apathy and inaction of gay people to mount a campaign aimed at the Lords, something the opposition has already embarked upon. Disturbingly, many of the Tories who voted against equal marriage did so because their constituents opposed to the measure outnumbered those who support it. In essence, I don’t believe theirs was a conscience vote at all but one of catering to religious nutters for fear of being voted out in 2015. I only hope this won’t be duplicated in the Lords to avoid a one year delay. I often wonder if those same MPs would have voted yes had the supporters outnumbered the opposition in their constituencies.

8. Robert in S. Kensington 17 Apr 2013, 12:11pm

Absolutely marvellous! Well done New Zealand, you put the mother country to shame. Pay very close attention, House of Lords!

1. If anything it puts its neighbour Australia to shame. The UK is willfully moving towards marriage equality; in Australia that seems a very distant prospect. And if Mr Abbot and his Liberal Party (joke of a name!) win the election later this year it will remain a distant prospect.

9. Helge Vladimir Tiller 17 Apr 2013, 12:46pm

How Nice ! Sunshine in Oslo today. I intend to go to a nearby restaurant—smiling, and enjoy a superb dinner to honour The New Zealand Parliament !

10. Well done NZ ( Aotearoa ) Australia has to be listening.

11. Colin (London) 17 Apr 2013, 1:10pm

London based but lived and travelled NZ for 25 years. In NZ today for this wonderful reaffirming news. My office used to overlook the Bee Hive. Yet again so proud of you New Zealand. An inspiration to the rest of the world. An inclusive society… Fantastic news. Words fail me.

12. Hurry up UK! When is the House of Lords vote scheduled? Lets not fall behind!

13. NZ Archbigot John Dew has just said:

“We find it bizarre that what has been discarded is an understanding of marriage that has its origin in human nature and common to every culture, and that almost all references to husband and wife will be removed from legislation referencing marriage. We know many New Zealanders stand with us in this.”

They’re still painting the blackest picture. I’m sure the terms husband and wife will remain in NZ legislation, but alongside wife and wife, and husband and husband!

14. Rodney Croome, director of “Australian Marriage Equality” has said:

“Now that marriage equality is only three hours away there will be a flood of [Australian] couples flying to New Zealand to tie the knot and spend their money.”

Croome says New Zealand will now receive a large slice of the estimated 700 million Aussie dollars that Australian same-sex couples will spend on their weddings.

Good news for the New Zealand economy!

15. Have just heard that a number of specific churches in New Zealand are now planning to marry same-sex couples in four months’ time!

The rather elegant old Presbyterian church of “St Andrew’s on The Terrace” has intimated it may well be amongst the first!

16. Now I can get married in Middle Earth! :D

1. My precious!

17. Congratulations Newzealand from your Canadian brothers and sisters.

18. sorry.. New Zealand!!! my mistake..

19. Robert in S. Kensington 17 Apr 2013, 3:25pm

Blimey, even the Mail acknowledged and printed this great piece of news! Seeing the Union Jack on New Zealand’s flag is a wake-up call to the House of Lords here at home to pay particular attention.

20. Question now is, will we pip Uganda to the post?

Well done the Kiwis.

21. Bloody fantastic!

Sadly it’s come too late for me and my long-term partner who died of a sudden illness end of last year.

We originally met in NZ and although I’m British born I lived in Aotearoa (the land of the long white cloud) for 21yrs in all.

Marvellous!

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 17 Apr 2013, 8:56pm

So sad to hear about Your Partner, Pavlos. I’m sure he was a beautiful and nice person. And so are You ! Wish You a warm and sunny spring together with friends , in harmony and humanity ! (Greetings from Norway)

1. Thank you for your kind words Helge.

22. Malcolm (Lichfield) 18 Apr 2013, 12:30am

Wonderful news! The spontaneous singing in the spectators’ gallery as the vote was won was the most moving thing I’d seen for a long time. The human spirit triumphs and puts to shame all homophobes and bigots.

This on the day when in the UK the architect of Section 28 was given what amounts to a state funeral!

23. widdershins 18 Apr 2013, 8:46pm