Westboro Baptist Church blames same-sex marriage for Boston Marathon bomb attack

1. Why oh why do people again and again give these idiots attention?

Attention is what they seek, if they don’t get any they die. Simple huh.

1. michael anthony 16 Apr 2013, 2:27pm

Well said! Everytime something like this happens, Westboro releases the same kind of statement. For the most part, we ignore them in the US. I suggest Pink News do the same. They thrive on this sort of press.

2. If god is responsible, he shoud be brought to court. Maybe then we can actually ASK him what he thinks on various issues instead of having to listenb to the rantings of morons. In the meantime, America’s Free Speech Laws are looking increasingly insufferable. I do NOT believe the Founding Fathers intended this freedom to be used by the likes of the despicable Phelps’ cult. I’ve started to feel physically sick at the sight and even thought of these people. Why has no-one tried to have them sectioned under Mental Health Laws? If anything is an abomination, it is these revolting creatures.

3. You know Kansas is right in the center of tornado alley. If a tornado were to descend upon Westburo’s little “church”, who then would they blame?

2. Why is this news?
    B-o-r-i-n-g

3. brian burton 16 Apr 2013, 12:01pm

WHY DOSE PINK NEWS REPORT INANE COMMENTS FRON THOSE HEATHEN BAPTISTS?

4. WTF is wrong with these people? And why have they not yet been arrested? Enough is enough. Ugh.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Apr 2013, 12:12pm

Hate speech is protected in America except when the life of a politician is threatened, incitement to violence and shouting ‘fire’ in a cinema or theatre.

1. Greis from Argentina 16 Apr 2013, 6:21pm

They should not be arrested. They should be isolated in some insane people institution.

5. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Apr 2013, 12:10pm

What aren’t we blamed for? If only we had that much power we would control the world. Only America could produce such retards like this. They even make our own right wing religious nutters look moderate.

1. michael anthony 16 Apr 2013, 2:37pm

Only in America??? Give me a break. Westboro would love your comment since you make them out to be “notorious”.
      And if you’re so upset about Westboro, then consider your own language. “Regard” is extremely offensive.

6. Of course! What else could it be?

These people are really very ill.

7. These people have nothing to do with the Christian religion and anyone with half a brain cell knows it. The reason right wing gay media outlets like Pink News keep connecting the two is they want to portray people who oppose Same Sex Marriage as nutters. Stop giving these lunatics attention, if they don’t get anything they will die!

1. They are Christians. Tough. Face it. Anyone with a quarter of a brain cell knows that Christians through the ages have murdered, tortured and imprisoned people in the name of Christ.

The reason why pink news report right wing nutters who are opposed to equal marriage is because they are a gay news website.

2. And the attackers at the world trade centre were not muslims either.

Real muslims are peace loving. Just like christians.

Yeah right!

You are an apologist for religion. The religious just get embarrassed when the true believers actually practice their religion as it is supposed to be practised with all the blood and guts just like it is in the bible and koran.

3. “Pink News […] want to portray people who oppose Same Sex Marriage as nutters”

If the shoe fits…

8. I can’t stand these idiots any more than the next person. They are vile excuses for human beings.

Please PN stop giving them the attention that they are so desperate for.

1. The WBC is indirectly helping the LGBT community with all their hateful, religiously-inspired picket signs. It shows the average Joe just how crazy the extreme religious-right can be. It also shows the dark side of Christianity and religion in general. To use and interpret ‘holy’ religious text to hate others is far from holy!
      Though the WBC has taken it to the extreme, we should thank them for showing the entire world the true colors of conservative and ultra-conservative Christianity.

9. That There Other David 16 Apr 2013, 12:21pm

Well then, about time the FBI put this “God” fellow on trial isn’t it? The murderous swine needs to be brought to justice if you ask me.

10. GingerlyColors 16 Apr 2013, 12:49pm

If Al Quaida or the North Koreans didn’t have anything to do with this then I won’t be surprised if supporters of the Westboro Baptist Church carried out the atrocity.
    The First Amendment to the US Constitution needs to be redefined to prevent hate speech and the picketing of funerals.

11. Jock S. Trap 16 Apr 2013, 12:50pm

To be honest I’m bored of ‘em.

I mean what can you say that hasn’t been said about this vile group before. They lavish on it.

12. When I heard of the Boston bombing last night, the first thing I said to my partner was “something else to blame us for”

13. There is no Westboro Baptist “Church”, only a Westboro Baptist Cult

1. There is very little difference in reality.

1. Exactly – see also the ‘Church’ of Scientology.

2. Jock S. Trap 16 Apr 2013, 2:16pm

I’ll be honest, it’s not “Cults” that spring to mind when I’m thinking about them.

1. Let me guess, Jock S.trap… if you’re not “Cults” that spring to mind…
        Then it must be that “other”four letter word… that begins with “C” and ends in “T”?

3. Wehate Westborochurch 16 Apr 2013, 2:28pm

I wouldnt doubt the wbc didnt do it themselves with their hateful asses

14. Media needs to stop giving these ignorant people spot light!

15. HOW exactly – these retarded bigots need to be put down like dogs!

16. The more the WBC shout ‘God Hates Fags’, the more it makes religious social conservatives, especially Christians look like unreasonable bigots with hate (disguised as love) in their hearts.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Apr 2013, 2:01pm

All christians will be painted with the bigot brush as long as none of them, especially CoE, Epsicopalian and Catholic cult hierarchies remain silent. Their silence in all this gives consent.

1. And what about GAY Christians. Shock horror. There IS Gay Christians out there. Personally I would class myself as Agnostic but know people who are Gay and Christian. Though it is difficult for them to reconcile their faith with their beliefs. Unfortunately there is nowhere for them to turn as they are ostricised for being Gay.

1. Liam the God 17 Apr 2013, 2:03pm

I know an 88 year old Gay Catholic. I have NO idea how he squares his faith with he orientation!

2. I think we need to be careful not to paint all Christians with the same brush of bigotry. Two of my closest and longest friends and love me as much as my non-christian friends and family.

1. Christians need to be more vocal in condemning these nutters

17. These people are complete freaks!

18. welby is quite open about his homophobic extremism.
    Tatchell will be elegant in his condemnation of that bigoted pig.

19. I wonder if these loons are funded by less extreme fundamentalist homophobes and God-botherers who wish to seem more reasonable by contrast?
    Maybe I’m just cynical. In any case, may I suggest a strategy for benefitting from these nuisances? Get lgbt welfare and rights groups to shake buckets and tins to solicit donations at any events where they turn up for as long as they’re there.

1. ronnie williams 16 Apr 2013, 2:16pm

what is wrong with these people they are suppose to be Christine they are just freaks and bible bashing hypocrites if god hear them going on like this they would burn in hell these so call Christine these people makes me loss faith in religion

1. Faith in religion is not an advisable policy on any basis. Critical and independent thought will serve you better.

20. ronnie williams 16 Apr 2013, 2:14pm

21. mIKE - New Zealand 16 Apr 2013, 2:30pm

STOP PRINTED THESE IDIOTS PRESS RELEASES!!

22. Horrid, horrid people; let them have their vile views but let’s not promote through the media. Hopefully, without the oxygen of publicity, they will shrivel and go away.

23. Was wondering how long it will be before these people sorry ( things) blamed us.
    on another note I send my wish of hope to the people effcted by the events of yesterday.

24. Tom Cotner 16 Apr 2013, 2:56pm

Everyone here seems to be happy to bring the Westboro people up for discussion, evidently not realize that this is exactly what they are looking for.
    Why be bothered with them? Only pinpricks of a mosquito bite upon the skin of humanity.
    Of course they should get over it, and we should get over them.
    Don’t pay any attention to their diatribes, and eventually they’ll either go away, or die off.

25. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I find our super-powers that can cause destruction of a massive scale to be rather fun to inflict on the world.

Force Lightning is my favourite….

26. They beat me to it. I was going to predict that before long some religious lunatics were going to blame to bombing on LGBT. But I under estimated them. I thought it would take a day or two.

27. Liam the God 16 Apr 2013, 3:12pm

It COULD possibly one of their supporters, or someone that thinks the same way they do, that planted the bombs in the first place: Mass has SSM, and it was “Patriots Day”. Just a theory….. Münchhausen Syndrome, anyone?

1. The FBI probably should investigate these weirdos

2. Interesting Concept! I will being investigating right away!

28. i hope someone bombs them.

29. Christopher Coleman 16 Apr 2013, 3:41pm

This church seems very certain of its information. They should be investigated. If it turns out that they know nothing, they should be prosecuted for wasting police time. Also, as accusing God falsely is blasphemy, they should be packed off to one of our ally nations that criminalize blasphemy.

30. Whatever next they gonna blame the North Korean on us, can’t they just shut the f**k up and leave us the f**k alone, what have we ever done to them for f**ks sake!

1. For people like the WBC, the fact that we exist is enough to set them off on one of their lunatic rants. people like this expect the world to do as they say, regardless of whether it is a popular view or not, simply because they claim that they “speak for god” and therefore should not be questioned…ever! doing so implies a “lack of Faith”.

31. Janet Lameck 16 Apr 2013, 3:46pm

In order to shut these psychopathic lunatics up what everyone needs to do is to NOT give them any press what so ever! They thrive on the publicity so simple solution cut off that publicity.

32. gloria monti 16 Apr 2013, 3:55pm

*these* are the terrorists.

33. Haven’t they crossed the line now into openly encouraging acts of terrorism? If so surely they can all be arrested and shipped off to Guantanamo.

34. This is no surprise. They’re always interfering at funerals. Now they have a video out that calls for the death penalty for gays (and supporters) everywhere. They want death because of their beliefs about how gays have “caused” so much destruction. Nuts for brains.

35. If God was so angry about gays, don’t you think he’d bomb the GAY PRIDE DAY, or just any day in San Francisco? This is BLATANTLY IGNORANT, and I feel like any comment I had after this would be the same.

36. Christopher in Canada 16 Apr 2013, 5:13pm

All the guns in the US and yet no one shoots these idiots. Interesting…

1. Liam the God 16 Apr 2013, 9:59pm

Because the NRA has a WHITE. CHRISTIAN base! These WBC idiots are the same ones that believe the US Government is coming to get them because only THEY represent “Traditional America”! Most of these sick fvcks would have blamed it all on black people 100 years ago.

37. the amount of airtime these assholes get is amazing! These people are the scum of the earth. I wouldnt wipe my ass with any of them. The fact that they truly believe they are speaking Gods words is sad. Rest assure they will burn in hell where they belong.

38. That was the first thought that came to mind, as I was watching the news, last night; Westboro using it as another venue to spew their hatred. But something makes me think that if they dare to cross this line, it will wind up being their Waterloo.

Yes, the Constitution protects their right to free speech, however, it provides no protection, whatsoever, from the consequences of their hateful use of it.

39. I think the attention is good, people will still think what they think, and it will be great history book fodder. Also, nice upside down flag sarong… a real patriot would know better, thanks for respecting the country and flag code. So, looks like God doesn’t trust you anymore. Gravity hasn’t done you favors either. Thanks for encouraging the depletion of the world’s petroleum by printing up your plastic signs. Also, why is your husband only holding one sign and leaving you with two? That’s not very traditional…

40. I wonder what Obama has to say about this… can you imagine how much pain this would cause those grieving… these heartless people should be stopped…

41. Their theology is correct. In the Bible God says, I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; shall there be disaster in the city and the Lord God hath not done it?, etc.

I’m not a Christian; I’m an agnostic about God. But the Bible says what it says and we can’t change it.

1. It’s a book…nothing more! A book written by man. Just like Harry Potter or any other bit of fiction!!! That is the key word, right their…fiction!

1. If I went around saying I believe in Father Christmas, he speaks to me in dreams and I follow a book about him, what would people say?

For an agnostic, you appear to have a very intimate knowledge of the Bible, strange that.

2. Exactly why I always say the Abrahamism is the greatest evil to ever plague mankind and doesn’t have place in the 21th century world.

42. This goes to prove how SICK these people are!! They’re a bunch of bible bashing lunatic idiots. And it’s time we stopped giving them room on our newspapers and feeding their fire of hate!!!

43. Garry Cassell 16 Apr 2013, 8:22pm

Why does this site give these bloody idiots the space to vent their hatred..????This is not a matter of “freedom of speech” as your argument will be…this is simply pure hate speech and that is the difference…why do pinknews cooperate with their filth and hatred???

44. Oh god, I was here turning the computer on after arriving home from the street, entering the Internet Explorer and the PinkNews while thinking that WBC would be exactly the kind of low-life people that would attribute such terrible and unhuman tragedy to God’s wrath and start thinking of making pickets at the victims’ funeral. And once again I was proved right. I think it’s already time to prohibit every and any single public action of the WBC, declare it a hate crime organization and take away all its rights to freedom of speech and press, as it does not make speech but pure harassment and does not deserve to have any rights.

45. I hate to be one of the ‘stop giving them attention’ types, but seriously, stop giving them attention. What they are doing isn’t even shocking anymore, the shock-factor has worn out and isn’t newsworthy. They are a tiny attention-seeking cult and the sooner they are ignored by the media, the faster they will fade into oblivion.

Pinknews, you are helping them. Stop.

46. There is no discussing with people like this!

47. Truth will Out 16 Apr 2013, 9:31pm

It is important to understand that the Westboro outfit is a business first and last. The Phelps / Roper family are lawyers who make a considerable amount of money out of the “god” business each year. They are self publicists with a single minded aim and that is to keep the cash flowing from donations out of people who hate other people. They are parasites and phonies who will do anything and say anything to stay deep in the money trough .

1. So technically a terrorist group with inspirations of a Mafia crime family.

48. These people can no longer be regarded as normal and no publicity should be given to them at all ever!

49. Westboro baptist church, a despicable group that believes funerals are legitimate venues for protest.
    They show no respect for the friends and family of the deceased.
    British people wouldnt have any truck with this political tactic…. well most British people, some on the left are quite happy to use the tactics of the Westboro baptists ….Thatchers funeral.

1. No political tactics being made by some on the right with Thatcher’s funeral then…damn those broken family and community leftist subversives!!

2. Actually the funeral went very well with little drama.

50. The bible is written by the devil to P*ss Jesus off, and the Devil’s representatives are proving to demonste this well. Evil bast*ards that should have been arrested by now like any other racist, criminal or Anti-social behaviour scum bag, the evidence is in the picture. Westboro Satan Clan..

51. and I would expect nothing less from these scum!

52. ‘Heavy Rains cause flooding in Topeka, Kansas’ Blame the gays.

‘Corn harvest halted by faulty machinery.’ Blame the gays.

‘Church leader has car stolen’ Blame the gays.

‘Protests outside church due to out of tune organ’ Blame the gays.

‘Squirrel electrocuted on faulty electricity cable’ Blame the gays.

‘Cost of bread increases by 4 cents’ Blame the gays

Do you see how absurd your reasoning is?

1. But you can’t expect these nut-jobs to understand that!

53. Dennis Velco 17 Apr 2013, 6:49pm

What vile lunatics.

54. Can we just stop feeding these trolls please.

55. Sick, sad, psychopaths!

56. gay Activist Paul Mitchell 18 Apr 2013, 5:34am

Yawn…

Please do not give these vile people attention!