Jeremy Irons: ‘I don’t know the difference between a same-sex marriage and a civil partnership’

1. “I don’t actually have much opinion about heterosexual marriage, except I possibly think it might protect children and make it easier for children, that’s why I married my wife”

Wow. His partner must bask in the radiant glow of that loving commitment!

1. According to the Daily Mail (so take it with a pinch of salt) their marriage is quite unconventional and he likes to grope a lot of other women.

1. I would like to know how exactly this “marriage” is protecting their children. Is it just a roof over their heads, somewhere to go after school, being able to say “my parents are married”…?
        People has weird ideas when it comes to “normality”…

2. Try this: “ONE INDICATES EQUALITY – THE OTHER DOESN’T”. Any help, you stupid nob.

3. Scott Larsen 16 Apr 2013, 3:29pm

Ignorance shouldn’t be given the spotlight. Period.

4. ok, seriously, we should be better than name calling, for f**ks sake. It’s officially P*****g me off, you’re grown adults. If you want to voice your opinions, do it in an intelligent way. Watch the interview on BBC Iplayer, he sounds genuinely sorry and regretful. Everyone makes mistakes… Let it go! xx

1. I love posts which begin, “ok, seriously …” Haha. You, Naomi, like the talented Mr. Irons, have missed the point completely. This man’s inane utterings send out a message to young people that being gay is somehow ‘different’ and less than ‘equal’ to heterosexuality. Anything negative uttered, particularly by religious leaders, has enormous negative impact of those who might be uncertain about their sexuality. I think we, as gay people, have a duty to challenge EVERY such utterance. Unless of course, you buy into the bigotted belief that we ARE second-class citizens …?

2. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Apr 2013, 4:41pm

And his alluding to father/son marriages, an opinion in and of itself of equal marriage is intelligent? Then suddenly, he back-pedals saying he thinks ‘gay’ marriage is wonderful just to save face? He’s an idiot and not too bright either. If he had no opinion, his spurious, offensive allusion wouldn’t have passed his lips. Proves how disingenuous he is when caught with his pants down for want of a better metaphor. He didn’t have to marry to protect his children. With his wealth, he can well afford to have legal documents drawn up in place of a marriage certificate which really means he’s lying when he says he doesn’t think much about hetero marriage. His mention of procreation within marriage is one more indicator as to where he really stands on EM. The man is a panoply of contradictions. He knows damned well what the differences are.

3. What an intelligent response Naomi – for f**ks sake. YOU’RE officially P*****g me off.

5. Jock S. Trap 16 Apr 2013, 3:34pm

Well it’s simple, “same sex” Marriage is the same as “opposite sex” Marriage. Civil Partnerships is the religious answer to keeping us one step behind and apparently lapping at their feet… or so They think anyway!

Secondly, I think the clue it is the names.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Apr 2013, 4:28pm

If any straight were told he or she would have to settle for CPs, I don’t think they’d be too happy about that, most of all, those in opposition. They all claim they support CPs and think they’re equal, but in reality, few of them would want one for themselves and none of them seem to be demanding them. I wonder why?

6. Okay,I seriously used to think Jeremy Irons was quite bright – he’s come across that way in past interviews – but now I’m thinking Playschool was about his level.

7. Think of this way- It’s a bit like being told you can sit anywhere on the bus V. being told you must sit at the back of the bus. Fair enough all are on the bus but you would have to be disingenuous to claim that you can’t spot the difference. And the difference is really quite offensive to anyone who has any regard for the concept of equality. Gay or straight.

8. Will this creepy looking old twat never shut it?
    Where’s Meryl Streep when you need her?

9. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Apr 2013, 3:58pm

I watched the interview. Of course he has a bloody opinion about equal marriage. Why would he throw in the father/son nonsense if he didn’t and claim he doesn’t know the difference between CPs and marriage? The same nonsense the opposition is using.

If I had been Stephen Sackur interviewing him, I would have asked him if he (Irons) as a married man had any problem with discrimination once he leaves the UK. That alone is one major difference between the two unions. CPs are meaningless once you step outside the country, they are not and never will be the universal gold standard If they are so equal, why haven’t they been replicated in other countries compared to the number of countries that have legalised EM? Why aren’t more heterosexuals demanding them if there is no difference? Irons now saying he thinks ‘gay’ marriage is wonderful is nothing more than back pedalling because he never thought his rant would go viral, bad PR for a media whore whose career is in slow decline.

1. I think Jeremy Irons is reciting the lines of a C4M scriptwriter.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 19 Apr 2013, 1:46pm

Yes, he is. I wonder if he signed their petition?

10. “strong opinions often get him into trouble.”

If only he had some strong opinions. It would mean he’d thought about something. As it is he doesn’t come across as having any opinion at all, just verbal diarrhoea.

11. darkmoonman 16 Apr 2013, 4:34pm

“I don’t know the difference between a same-sex marriage and a civil partnership”

Then it’s an opportunity for him to reduce his ignorance.

12. The internet age – the papers now share with us Justin Bieber’s analysis of the holocaust, Azealia Banks’ critique of gender normativity, and Jeremy Irons’ interpretation of the law on marriage and on sexual offences.

Youthful solipsism can be forgiven, but surely Mr Irons is old enough to know it’s better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt, etc.

13. He is such a dummy. He should keep his lips buttoned.

14. Michael Heynz 16 Apr 2013, 4:44pm

“I mean marriage is about procreation, really that’s how historically it has always been”

No, Jeremy, it wasn’t. Have you ever bothered to crack open a history book? Marriage was about PROPERTY and POWER. Only recently was it ever about LOVE and it usually involved WOMEN not have A CHOICE in the matter. Personally, I see Marriage as the last great bastion of female oppression and control. We should absolutely change that.

1. You mentioned ‘property’, ‘power’, and ‘love’, but not the word used by Irons: ‘procreation’.

In fact, historically speaking, procreation has been the one unchanging fundamental aspect of marriage (matrimony for the ancient Romans, from the word for ‘mother’). For the ancient Chinese, a marriage was not properly valid until the birth of the first-born son whilst matrimony in Rome was consummated only with the wife’s pregnancy. Most societies considered a marriage only to have been validated at the point of sexual union — which only came to an end in English law in the 1940s, when it was ruled that consummation would be achieved even if the husband wore a condom. For the first time in British recorded history — pagan, Roman, Catholic, Protestant, and secular — that ruling by the Law Lords marked the beginning of the end for the idea that one of the main functions of marriage was procreation.

1. You neatly overlook another aspect of marriage in most cultures, historically speaking: that the woman, and the dowry that is given with her (the purchase price of a husband, if you like), becomes the property of the man she marries. This is no longer the case in Western societies – are you going to argue that the historical precedent is so powerful that we shouldn’t ignore it in this instance too?

2. Robert in S. Kensington 19 Apr 2013, 1:44pm

Then explain why infertile hetero couples should be married if they can’t procreate? Idiot!

15. errrr, the difference is that marriage is only available to heterosexuals and civil union only to gay people, its bit like the case with white and black people traveling on the buses in 50’s America, both groups were able to travel but front seats were only available to whites

16. JackAlison 16 Apr 2013, 5:14pm

what a snivelling lil worm…and of course all of his comments are dripping with a mixture of sarcasm and “who me? Im really a nice person you know”

17. Why doesn’t he just listen to himself and button his lips. I hope he’s relegated to doing coronation street for the rest of his acting career.

18. As Clement Atlee wrote to Harold Laski, a period of silence on your part would be welcome. Or to put it in language even you’d understand Jeremy, shut the f*ck up.

19. Imagine if we had a law which said that all can get married but members of the acting will be restricted to civil partnerships? Would that be ok Jeremy? You would hardly notice the difference after all?

20. He does’nt know his arse from his elbow!

21. Christopher in Canada 17 Apr 2013, 2:05am

All these years I assumed Mr. Irons was gay…

22. Which, smug face would you be happy to punch in…lol!?
    I do believe that Mr Irons suffers from… two faced syndrome!
    One minute he talks about his opinions on equal marriage and
    the then… he says has none…!
    Which is it… Mr Irons? You simply can’t have it both ways!
    You’ve back peddled so far… you’ve gone from London to Sydney!
    I do believe that Mr Irons is also suffering from… full orifice syndrome as well…
    He appears to have both feet in his mouth and his head up his… @r$e!

1. *then… he says he has none…!*

I think that I’m going to have to get off, the Hay fever medication… it’s addling my brain…lol!

23. If you ‘would happily punch his [or anybody else for that matter] you should seek help to manage your extreme aggression. Your words of violence demean you and the whole equality agenda.

24. And I don’t know the difference between Jeremy Irons and a dickhead

25. If he really doesn’t see a difference then he is thicker than I always thought he was. I love my civil partnership, it’s intelligence, equality and fairness, and wouldn’t dream of Tainting it with messy “marriage” , as far as I’m concerned that for Dimbos like him.