Former Radio 4 newsreader Alice Arnold: I won’t dance on Thatcher’s grave but she made gay people feel ‘marginalised’

1. Get me my dancing shoes, because I’m ready to jig all over that grave

The tide of whitewashing Thatcher’s legacy these last few days has been nauseating – we need more people angrily telling the truth about her

1. The only MP that earned their £3,750 incentive yesterday was Glenda Jackson.

1. Wasn’t she extraordinary! One of her finest moments! Not following protocol, not going with the flow, showing integrity, speaking the TRUTH! And in spite of loud and vociferous wave of howling from the Tory benches opposite, she kept going!

And then at the end of it that obese Tory objector gets up and tried to put her down. But well done John Bercow for putting him well and truly in his place!

See both Ms. Jackson’s speech and the Tory objector here:

1. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Apr 2013, 2:03pm

Eddy, you beat me to it. It was vintage Glenda Jackson yesterday. John Bercow was superb.

1. “Vintage” is the word, Robert!

Have you read my theory elsewhere that Thatcher modelled herself on Glenda’s magnificent “Elizabeth R” – which was broadcast at the time that Thatcher was snatching the milk from the schoolchildren?

How galling for Jackson to observe Thatcher playing the imperious Monarch for real for all those years! The same diction, the same vowel sounds, the same Shakespearean repetition, the same dramatic delivery. Well, yesterday, Glenda fired her torpedo and it came completely unscripted, from the heart, and in spite of a wall of howls trying to unnerve her and stop her from carrying on. MAGNIFICENT.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Apr 2013, 4:24pm

Indeed I did read your theory, Eddy. Well said.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Apr 2013, 2:01pm

Indeed. Her oration yesterday was spot on.

3. Chris Dilworth 12 Apr 2013, 10:27am

Send Glenda a message at her office. It doesn’t matter that you may not be her constituent but I am deeply grateful to her for her stand. That’s what democracy is about. I shall never forget Thatcher mocking me as a pretend family (and it certainly did feel a personal attack) and saying that I was not allowed to talk about homosexuality in schools at the time my friends and others were in the grip of the most awful of times with AIDS/HIV. At that time no one thought we could live with the virus, AIDS = DEATH was real, yet to block education to the people who were growing into their sexuality was a traitorous and vicious act, in my opinion. I cannot forgive her for that bit. But I am conflicted. She did push the AIDS leaflets/ adverts through everyone’s doors and people had to ‘discuss’ sexual practices that had not seen the light of their day ever before, so that perhaps, is a quality of her power I can accept. Glenda is a committed politician too. Her voice was heard.

1. Could you tell me how to send Glenda Jackson a message? I feel strongly that I’d like to thank her for what she said and the powerful and unapologetic way in which she said it, but I have no idea how xD
          Thanks :’)

2. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Apr 2013, 12:28pm

The Tories in particular should be reminded of Thatcher’s policy under Section 28, over and over to remind them that the nastiness is still very deeply entrenched when many of them voted against equal marriage on February 5th. For those who did, nothing has changed and they should feel the shame, but sadly, many are incapable of it. They will continue to be known as the nasty party in spite of Cameron’s laudable attempt to modernise it with the introduction of equal marriage.

Although I don’t celebrate Thatcher’s death, I will treat her with the contempt she richly deserves.

3. Yes Sparky is right. I lived through Thatchers reign and she ruled with an iron fist. Destroyed communities, privatised almost everything that we as people owned and yes of course victimised and ostracised gay/lesbian/bisexual people with Section 28.

And yet we are now witnessing Thatcher as if she was some kind of saint. She wasn’t and now if you even utter a word of criticism, you are marginalised. What she would have wanted? I wouldnt be surprised if it is a yes.

1. Buy milk, pack a ruck sack lunch, attend the funeral and when the coffin goes past produce your milk and just calmly and visibly drink it. No policeman will be able to arrest you but the sight of all those white bottles of milk being produced will make one hell of a statement on TV screens around the world!

Silent Protest against “Thatcher, Thatcher, Milk Snatcher!”

4. “Are we to admire someone just because they have principles even if those principles are misguided?”

Well said… loads of people have admired Thatcher over the last week for sticking to her guns regardless.
    Nick Hancock neatly trashed that dubius argument on Room 101 whilst discussing the song “My Way” (at the 8.40 mark)

5. Well done and well said, Ms. Arnold, regarding Thatcher’s great gay shame!

I hope PinkNews will be printing the whole of Peter Tatchell’s Press Release of today detailing Thatcher’s many other great shames!

6. Read Peter Tatchell’s round-up of Thatcher’s many other great shames here:

7. Peter & Michael 11 Apr 2013, 1:56pm

We were on the Marchester march against Section 28 which she brought in and which caused so much anguish for the school children growing up at the time whom knew they were Gay, and did not know where to turn for help and advice, we often wonder how many kids committed suicide because they felt that there was no one at school that could help them and being treated as outcasts or freaks.

1. Peter & Michael 11 Apr 2013, 1:58pm

‘Manchester’ Sorry !

1. You’re so right, Peter and Michael. I was a teacher in Manchester at that time and I, and the several other gay and lesbian teachers in our secondary school, really felt Thatcher’s gagging clause very severely. If any pupils said anything, we couldn’t say anything positive in response. If a pupil said something derogatory about “queers”, as students are won’t to do, especially in the playground, then we couldn’t reprimand them for fear of being reported as having “stuck up for queers”.

It was horrendous. And as you say, it must have been even more horrendous for those youngsters in school who were living with the “dark secret” of being gay or lesbian. They got no support, and they couldn’t ask for support. Thatcher denied it them.

8. Yea she says it was repealed by the Blair government … but not until 2003. They sat on that legislation perfectly content with it with 13 years after being elected.

So much for Labour being “gay friendly”. They knew that public opinion was homophobic and they were willing to keep it as public policy no matter how bad it was.

1. Um, Labour only got into power in 1997, so that’s 6 years. They did attempt to repeal it in 2000, but it was blocked by the House of Lords (back when it had hordes of Tory hereditary peers). I don’t know why they didn’t repeal it sooner (they could have used the Parliament Acts, as they did to equalise the age of consent).

9. Oh dear Alice!

Stand by for the venom of the Daily Mail!!

ANYONE who says anything remotely against `’our `maggie” gets venemously attacked.

Especially anyone from the LGBT community- its a double whammy for them!!

1. Not to mention a woman with ties to the BBC…

10. …it’s obvious Margaret Thatcher was a true racist and even a fascist–so is it any wonder she upset so many people in her job especially the public. Although she managed to tread lightly and not show her real Hitler-esque attitudes many felt her tyrannical grip.

11. Well said, Alice – measured, thoughtful and spot-on. Thank you.