UK’s first youth crime commissioner quits following backlash over abusive tweets

1. 17 year old loses job after sharing a homophobic tweet to about 100 people.

76 year old Pope gets elected and celebrated by the World leaders after sharing homophobic messages to billions of people worldwide.

87 ex prime minister gets a state funeral after sharing her homophobia for generations to the entire country.

What a weird stupid world we live in.

1. Yeah when you it like that it is pretty stupid. But ofcourse you know the reason for that. There is one rule for some and another foreveryone else. It has always been that way. That is why it is our job as voting public to speakout with our votes. To have our voices heard. I find it much more offensive that these people of so called stature, ie. pope, priminister, president, authority figures can just say what they wish and get away with it. But you know what take some comfort that even Jesus had the same problem with these people. I don`t remember him ever rebuking a poor person an ordinary citizen . But he was always on the case of the rich and famous.

1. Hang on…. You knew Jesus? How old ARE you?

2. brings to my mind a famous quote of Mark Twain . If Jesus were to return to the earth tomorrow. The last thing he would want to be is a Christain.

3. Craig Nelson 9 Apr 2013, 6:27pm

Am I seeing this in the wrong way?

I do not approve of the texts but if they were sent as a 14 year old
    , one should not hold that against her, especially if she’s learned from experience and moved away from such views as she’s grown older. We seem to be holding her to an unreasonable standard. This doesn’t seem fair to me.

1. Sister Mary Clarence 9 Apr 2013, 7:08pm

I think you are seeing it wrong. Some where sent only 2 weeks ago. She may have had an epiphany but its a very recent one

4. The Kitty Channel 9 Apr 2013, 7:59pm

Very sad example of bad recruiting and also trial by media. The former because Anne Barnes said tonight on BBC News she had asked Paris if there was anything at all in her background that could be embarrassing. Paris said no, which means she either lied or didn’t comprehend the full force of the question. The latter because it was to be expected that the reptiles would be on her case and rake muck. It was said in tonight’s news that Paris had made thousands of tweets about matters of social concern, besides the ones we’ve all read. It’s sad because she’s very young and made mistakes as teenagers are wont to do from time to time especially with unguarded remarks on social media, and lost the chance to engage with social processes as a young person.

5. BlokeToys 9 Apr 2013, 8:13pm

I find it pretty strange that this wasn’t considered before she was given that post.

Almost all employers these days do a little digging on the net to find out information about a prospective employee, and people with Facebook and Twitter profiles showing offensive opinions will be sifted out of the running.

Why did no one think to check up on what this teenagers opinions were before choosing her?

As for her being a teenager and rationalizing her opinions as those of a “typical teen”, I find that pretty worrying. I was never like that as a teen, never. There are millions of respectful, decent, kind and sensible teens out there, and to suggest that she’s the “norm” is an insult to them.

I’m glad this happened. Parents and communities shape our young people, and this is a step in the right direction, showing what is acceptable and what is not. This will hopefully make other people her age consider their opinions and assess how they are expressing themselves.

6. I, for one, bear her no ill will over this. I’ve known many good youngsters around her age – i.e. ones who give up their free time to volunteer for charities – who occasionally use offensive language of this sort.

When questioned, it becomes evident that they don’t actually support the hate that this language stems from (they’re all supportive of me being openly bi, for one thing), nor do they yet have the social awareness to remember just how powerful these words are. Like Ms. Brown, though they may have used homophobic language, they don’t support homophobic views.

It was right for Ms. Brown to resign, as it would be unfair on those with cleaner records to be denied the position, but I hope this signals the end of her villification.

To put it another way: she done bad, she done apologised, she done gone. No need to pursue the matter any further. I hope she learns her lesson, isn’t hurt by the media scrutiny (rough stuff for young rookies), and goes on to make something of herself.

7. de Villiers 10 Apr 2013, 7:36am

I am surprised that people so young are thought mature enough to hold such important public offices.