Judy Garland song likely to be in UK Top 40 in response to Margaret Thatcher’s death

1. “those who have taken distaste at claims that the former Prime Minster was considered an icon by some gay people”

Joseph Patrick McCormick, in the 17th century people spoke of “taking distaste”, but not anymore!

We
    “express distaste for”,
    “regard with distaste”,
    “feel distaste for”,
    “have a distaste for”,
    “show distaste for”

2. J Cartier 9 Apr 2013, 7:16pm

I hope it goes to number one.

1. While simultaneously making an unexpected shed-load of money for whichever American corporation or investment fund owns the rights to the recording.

Oddly enough, I think she would have approved.

1. That There Other David 9 Apr 2013, 9:21pm

Ideally they would recognise the sentiments behind those purchasing the record and donate the profits to a suitable charity. Hostels for the homeless would be a perfect choice.

If they announce that now it will be guaranteed #1.

1. casparthegood 9 Apr 2013, 10:54pm

It would be worth it for the trouble it would cause the BBC if nothing else.,lets see them announcing that as the No1 single the week of the funeral ……..

3. Richard the Big Bunny 9 Apr 2013, 7:17pm

There’s also a fabulous version by Klaus Nomi! Just sayin’ …

1. Yes, my favourite version as well +1

4. Abused by police 9 Apr 2013, 7:57pm
  5. Abused by police 9 Apr 2013, 7:58pm

Ding Dong, Maggie’s gone!

6. It’s not a Judy Garland song, despite being in The Wizard of Oz.

7. Colin (London) 10 Apr 2013, 9:07am

Fine you will mostly disagree with me on here but here goes. I think this whole thing against Thatcher is wrong. Do you get everything you attempt to do right? Show respect please and not white trashy attitudes.
    Maggie was against gay rights I agree.
    However at the time every ton of coal dug out of the ground and every ton of Steel made in this country was subsidised by the government. The countries debt was at an all time high. Our towns and street looked like post war neglected places. We paid to the IMF (International Monetary Fund) the equivilent of the education budget in interest each year. She rather forcefully changed that. No one owes you a living. I come from a rough estate in Motherwell Scotland. Me and all my family now own our own homes, had an education and have many options today as do my sisters kids. We took the good in what she offered and prospered while many around us sat complaining and drinking their redundancy in pubs.

8. Colin (London) 10 Apr 2013, 9:13am

If you were not around when Maggie was in power then you do not know the whole story. It turns my stomach to see 20 year olds saying they are glad she is gone. I’m certainly not religious but poor parenting and passing on blind bigotry to children is responsible here. Trashy people gay or straight.

I fight for gay rights. I vote on policies. It is Mr Cameron who is currently fighting for us against many in his own party that have SSM on the agenda currently. I hope you all will acknowledge this and when the bill is passed write to him saying thank you.

Difference of opinions is good and part of a democracy and humour at times dissolves tensions. lol

9. I’m hardly a fan of Thatcher, she brought some awful policies to this country which we’ve still not yet recovered from. However… as much as I was willing to enthusiastically cheer her removal from government, it seems horribly distasteful and disrespectful to cheer her death, even more so to try and re-release “Ding Dong the Witch is Dead” to “commemorate” her passing.

She’s still a human being, and deserves a basic level of dignity, her family also do not deserve to be subjected to this while they’re grieving. Again, I am far from being an admirer of her or her awful policies, and that’s a big part of why I feel we should rise above such (understandable but) unpleasant impulses – we should be better than this. We should be better than her.

10. Keith Francis Farrell 10 Apr 2013, 11:41am

have read all this hate-mail directed at Baroness Thatcher, well as at the time I lived in South Africa, I thought she was doing a very good job and so did the voting population of the UK. Some of you make her out to have been a dictator, This country is run by elected members of parliament, so anything that became was was a joint agreement by majority of the members of the UK parliament. Sure they made mistakes, but if she was so bad for the country why did you allow her to be elected three times. surely the fools would then be yourselves. She left this country in a far better condition than it was when she came into power. So get real people.

11. Keith Francis Farrell 10 Apr 2013, 11:45am

There have been comments about how she supported South Africa, again where were you living at that time, hijackings happened, bombings happened. and In the UK just like the rest of the world, these things were a reality. Northern Ireland was and still is a mess, when people want to kill others over what church they follow.

1. perfectday 10 Apr 2013, 7:39pm

I lived through the Aids years and the bitch kicked us when we were down with Section 28, Nazi Germany would have been proud. Sorry if this offends you, but any gay person who supported or voted for Thatcher is a scab and a traitor

1. I disagree the LGBT population at the time who voted for her before section 28 in 1987 were all traitors then.