Amsterdam’s rainbow flags flying at half mast to mark visit by Russia’s Vladimir Putin

1. Scott Larsen 8 Apr 2013, 10:43am

Why, oh why, is The Netherlands the second largest trading partner with Russia after China?

1. they drink a lot of vodka?

2. Colin (London) 8 Apr 2013, 1:50pm

Maybe the rest see the Russian Political owners for what they are.

3. It is an extraordinary statistic, given The Netherlands’ 16.6m population.

4. Christopher in Canada 8 Apr 2013, 8:03pm

I was immediately reminded of how my country of Canada is so bent on betting cozy with China. It seems human rights play second fiddle to the Almighty Dollar.

2. I think it’s a real shame that The Netherland’s continues to maintain any sort of relationship with this man and his regime. It is clearly repressive and backward-looking.

3. The Netherlands should cut all ties with Russia

1. Spanner1960 8 Apr 2013, 2:09pm

I can think of 83 billion reasons why not.

4. Well done Holland. I wonder if I should continue to travel to Russia as I am required to do on business?

1. Colin (London) 8 Apr 2013, 1:23pm

I am not judging you and have been there myself.

However this is a case of your income over a dictatorship who denies his people rights , gay and straight or equality. Discuss

Maybe we need to influence our employers to stop doing business with states that deny their citizens freedom and rights

5. Colin (London) 8 Apr 2013, 1:48pm

Maybe the rest see the Russian Political owners for what they are….

6. It’s not just rainbow flags at half mast. All over Amsterdam there are high-visibility actions going on, culminating in a demo this evening which thousands are expected to attend, outside the place where Putin will be dining.

Will he care? Probably not. Shall we do it anyway? Hell yes.

1. Rod, glad to hear this. Good luck! Well done! Raise hell! Make sure Putin hears! Embarrass the twat.

7. Hmm. How many flags? And where are they flying exactly? Will Homophobe Putin see even ONE of them?

Good gesture though.