US: Senator Mark Pryor undecided on marriage equality and ‘whether being gay is a choice’

1. Scott Rose 6 Apr 2013, 4:04pm

Who is this condescending stupid asshole heterosupremacist bigot in Schlubuttkyvile alleging that he has gay and lesbian “friends”? He hasn’t thought about whether his “friends” are human enough to deserve equality? What an asshole!

2. “never really thought”

Isn’t that part of the job description of a senator, thinking?

1. As gay folk, we probably think about our reality more than others do. I am not THAT surprised to hear him say he doesn’t think about us that often. Just from what I read here, it sounds like he is now giving it some honest thought and he seems open minded. We should give him a chance to figure things out. I know me, it took me years to figure it out and I thought about it daily.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 6 Apr 2013, 4:18pm

Arkansas is one of those so-called ‘red states’, part of the bible belt controlled by right wing conservatives. Obviously, his is not a safe constituency so he’ll do what Mary Landrieu of Louisiana does, kow-tow to bigots and religionists first and foremost. Whatever they say, goes even if it’s wrong.

4. they feel very strongly that it’s not a choice for them, and I respect that. I’m not going to dispute that. I appreciate that, and I appreciate their honesty.

It’s a rather misleading headline, as Pryor’s statement is actually rather dignified and honest.

1. Scott Rose 6 Apr 2013, 5:52pm

Pryor’s statement is mamby-pamby. He made this statement to a CBS affiliate, long after his conversations with gay constituents. He could have bothered himself to research, for example, the American Psychological Association’s or the American Medical Association’s statements on rights, and on the origins of orientation. But he apparently did no such thing. It would make a big difference for an elected official in a bigot district to say “I have read and understood the APA’s and the AMA’s statements on the science of sexual orientation.” His constituents are being discriminated against, but all he can say is that he “appreciates” that they pour their hearts out to him. The jerk can’t even say that he thinks they’re human enough to deserve rights.

5. Hmmmmm. Disingenuous headline re: sexual orientation being a choice. Most articles I’ve read elsewhere concerning this interview have very much interpreted him as being undecided on equal marriage and self-confessedly only ‘waking up’ to the issue of LGBT people being genuinely here to stay.

I think he wouldn’t even be contemplating equal marriage if he was someone that still thought gay people sprouted out of the ground.

6. GingerlyColors 6 Apr 2013, 4:27pm

Mark Pryor, being gay is not a choice and because of that, we should enjoy the same right to marry as everybody else.

7. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2013, 5:25pm

This shouldn’t even be a debate in 2013. Accept people for how they are born or don’t just stop dithering and seek some education.

1. In my country, we call them Catholics. One can be born Catholic or choose to become one. BTW, they claim to be moral instructors to deviants too. Which leads me to ask if you are asking re yourself==if we should accept you as a paedophile. I’ll have to admit, I haven’t given the matter much thought but appreciate your patience and honesty :)

2. Jock S. Trap 7 Apr 2013, 2:45pm

Least I have the ability to use my brains, not be brainwashed by religion crap texts which clearly turns you into a complete numbskull!

1. Jock S. Trap 8 Apr 2013, 11:21am

Because I stand up to bullies. We have to put up with enough from the bigoted. Since PinkNews FAIL to sort it why should we stand aside and let this sick, nasty bully to get away with abusing us.

3. Your wife/lady friend must wonder why you spend so much time obsessing about this issue Keith? Have you discussed it with her?

8. ColinJones 6 Apr 2013, 5:55pm

The whole idea of homosexuality being a choice is what keeps bigotry,especially religous bigotry, going.If the religous ever accepted it wasn’t a choice it would mean it was God who made you gay and that would mean they couldn’t realistically be prejudiced any more and fundamentalists need somebody to hate.

1. I’m not sure if I agree. There is no disputing that G-d has made some people women and some black, Jewish, handicapped or even unatractive but there are people who discriminate against these just because they think they are superior. I think that may be the thing– getting them to know they are know more special than the rest of us.

9. Paula Thomas 6 Apr 2013, 6:16pm

Dear Mark Pryor,

Up for election next year are we?

10. This man is an imbecile. Watch Bill Maher’s hilarious movie ‘Religulous’ on Youtube. He makes a complete fool of himself!

11. OK Senator, when did you ‘decide’ to be straight?

What’s that? You didn’t, you were born that way? Well, surprise, surprise, we didn’t choose to be gay either, we were also born this way!

12. At puberty did he have some sort of internal debate before finally making the choice to be straight? Or perhaps it just happened without the need for a concious choice?

13. Christopher Hobe Morrison 8 Apr 2013, 2:54am

In one of the great moral issues of the day, Mark Pryor votes undecided. I’m sure back in biblical times he would have been washing his hands and disavowing guilt.

14. Jason Moretti 8 Apr 2013, 6:16am

Sen. Pryor can resolve his doubts as to whether sexual orientation is a choice or an innate trait. He should try laying with a man. Perhaps he will feel the way I did when I shared a bed with a woman.