US: Arizona Congressman stands by opposition to equal marriage despite son being gay

1. Im suggesting he might need to look at how social policy HAS changed in the arena of marriage over the last 2000 years so that he can find a better defense than that please.Must try harder.

2. Garry Cassell 1 Apr 2013, 8:09pm

This only shows how f****** stupid you are…you support your GOP netwets instead of you son…get a brain somewhere…even a cats would be more intelligent..

3. Earthly sealed marriage between a man and his wife (wives) is a core component in their salvation belief system. Gays being able to marry cut to the heart of this belief. This is why the Mormon church was the driving force behind prop 8. In this fact, his son may never be able to influence his father.

1. That_Matt 1 Apr 2013, 8:50pm

Makes your heart bleed for religion, doesn’t it? Faith – known as deliberate ignorance to the rational mind – comes before a father’s wish for his son’s happiness. Oh, how the angels sang.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 1 Apr 2013, 8:50pm

If his son later marries, his father probably won’t attend which would mean he loves him only conditionally. Sad that his father would have to live with that on his conscience when he draws his last breath. I have no respect for the man nor do I respect his beliefs.

1. marshlander 3 Apr 2013, 12:49am

Sadly, the Mormon cult has had a lot of practice at excluding family members and it works the other way round too. I was raised as a Mormon and married my best friend, a woman, when I should have been coming out. My son served a two year mission and married a Utah woman ten years ago. I travelled 5,000 miles to be there for him. I was not allowed to attend the wedding ceremony, because I am “not worthy”. Mormons in Utah do not have to go through civil ceremonies and they hold their weddings in their temples from which non-members and family members not holding “temple recommends” are excluded. A while ago glbt young people in Salt Lake City had one of the highest chances of being forced to live on the streets in the USA. I don’t know what the situation is these days.

5. Don’t worry guys , because if there is an afterlife , then he will be Judged ….. And if I am correct , then it doesn’t look good for him .

1. There is no afterlife. We only get this one opportunity to live and this twat wants to ruin it for all of us and his son. Don’t wait; judge now!

6. Translation: I place my political career, which squarely places me at the whim of my conservative superstitious, incapable of honest loving constituency above the bond that I am supposed to as a parent have with my son.
    A politico dressed in the garb of a cult remains a politician at heart. This is the cult that until recently kept black people away from its core, proving yet again that the Mormon cult is an anachronism.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 1 Apr 2013, 11:50pm

Religion in general is anachronism. They’re all still living with a medieval mind set believing in things they can’t see. At least when the wind blows, you can see and feel it and you know it’s there, proof of its existence. No human ever came back from the dead to say there is anything beyond the grave.

7. ‘Hasn’t evolved’. Yup

1. An interesting term for a Morman to use- think I’m right in saying they don’t believe in Evolution… ;-)

8. What a poor excuse for a father Matt Salmon is.
    Very sad.

9. johnny33308 2 Apr 2013, 1:22am

Yet another wonderful Mormon (kkkristian, sort of) parent of an LGBT person who wishes his son to have all the advantges heteros have always had…NOT! These people should not be allowed to breed! Allow them to marry only if they pledge never to have children! They are unworthy of their children!!! These sorts are completely twisted by hatred and bigotry….there is no redeeming them, sadly.

10. “2,000 years of social policy”

USA is 200 years old, so whose “policies” is he talking about?

Human beings have been around for about 4,000,000 years so his “policies” aren’t very old then?

I suppose he is a young earth creationist. He really needs to do some homework before making his views public.

11. What a loving father………….

“I love you Son, but you should go and sit at the back of the bus with the rest of the deviants – you’re just not normal like the rest of us.”

12. Dave North 2 Apr 2013, 11:27am

This man is not fit to be a parent.

13. This “I haven’t” or I “have” evolved on gay marriage is a crock pot of shit. You don’t support gay marriage because you are a hypocritical bigot who does not give a shit about your kid.

14. What this tosspot and millions of bigots like him have failed miserably to grasp is that this is NOT about ‘redefining’ marriage. It’s about EQUALITY. It’s no different from changing history to set black people on an equal footing with whites. It’s no different from chaging the law to allow women to vote – or inter-racial marriage. WHY can’t these morons grasp this simple fact. If ‘marriage’ is deemed desirable for ONE section of society, then it should be open to ALL. If these people just don’t think gay people are equal to straights, they should say so and stop trying to appear ‘liberal’. They are religiously-inspired anti-gay bigots and should come-out as such.