Poll: Most believe Church of England is ‘out of touch’ with modern society

1. I am bi sexual, I have 2 children and I am currently in a long term lesbian relationship. My children’s father was very violent towards me for many years and I would often look to God for help and guidance, I never lost faith and when I met my current partner I believe she was sent to me, that we are meant to be, fate if that’s what you want to call it. I find it absurd as a Christian myself that God would ever judge a person based on sexuality; our souls are so much deeper then male and female. Love is an act of God no matter what shape or form it falls in, and who has any right to say what is right or wrong? The church isn’t trustworthy, they don’t have the churches best interests at heart or they wouldn’t be allowing religion to fizzle out by their own prejudice and unwillingness to modernise the church. Eventually churches will be like museums and there will be no faith in this country. Who are they kidding anyway, didnt ‘God’ war that it was sinful to worship in a man made buildin

1. You may think you are happy now, but wait until you realise it is all a big lie. Then you will discover what happiness really is.

I suggest you read some Richard Dawkins and you will find the real beauty of life is the reality not the myth.

1. I’m an atheist myself. However, as long as no one’s shoving their supernatural views down my throat. I don’t stand in their way to believe whatever they like. Beliefs don’t affect me. *Actions* based on beliefs DO affect me.

1. I was only trying to be helpful. I think it is tragic when people believe in things that don’t exist and get comfort from lying to themselves.

She also has two children and has a duty not to inflict her beliefs in the supernatural on them.

I don’t see anything wrong in questioning peoples “faith”.

1. “I don’t see anything wrong in questioning peoples “faith””

Neither do I, in the right places, in the right way.

2. Paul (Canada) 1 Apr 2013, 5:39am

Maybe she feels as strongly about her beliefs as you do about your non-beliefs. In that case, you’re belief is that she should not be able to teach her kids about her religion, because you believe it amounts to abuse in the form of brain washing. However, by pushing such a statement, you are effectively, and rather ironically, pushing your own beliefs onto her. And were you able to enforce your beliefs, onto her children. Teaching one’s children about your religion and traditions is not abuse just because it does not agree with your religions (non) beliefs.

I am an atheist. Over the past few years, I’ve come to disagree strongly with Richard Dawkin’s views. The abuse is not allowing children to learn about other religions or other ideas – in modern day Britain this isn’t usually a problem as Religious Education classes cover a broad range of topics. Faith schools should not funded by the tax payer imo.

3. Paul (Canada) 1 Apr 2013, 6:04am

I felt I hadn’t explained myself well. What I want to say is: By telling her she’s being immoral by pushing her beliefs onto her children (as you put it), you’re effectively pushing your belief (about how she should raise her children) onto her, and in doing so, you are being a hypocrite, as you would then be trumpeting the moral card at her but then complaining when she does the same.

4. How can it be hypocritical to ask that children not be exposed to brain washing about things for which there is not the slightest shred of evidence.

Immense harm is done to children at a very vulnerable time in their lives. If religionists feel so strongly about their “faith” why aren’t they prepared to let their children grow up and find it for themselves.

Why do all religions focus on getting control of the kids before anything else?

Why do almost 100% of kids growing up with parents of a particular religion stick with that religion? Because it is true?

Kids of religious parents are brought up not to question what they are told. If religion is so strong just let them question it. Or will they just find all the holes.

It is a mistake to say

” by pushing such a statement, you are effectively, and rather ironically, pushing your own beliefs onto her.”

It is not about what I believe. It is about not brainwashing vulnerable individuals.

2. The church’s stance on same sex marriage may be a factor, but I suspect that the ruling on women bishops presented a major set back for the church. For the church to be so out of step with society as a whole is encouraging people to call into question the church’s claim of moral authority. That has to be a good thing. The Catholic and Anglican churches’ opposition to equality for gay people is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the harm they inflict on society.

1. Colin (London) 18 Apr 2013, 4:02am

Good point. I was brought up as a catholic and educated in a catholic school. Brain washing absolutely. I even remember asking if we could explore other religions and compare. I was sent to the Head Master who threatened to expell me and told me there was no other religion. (Closed mind)

I have 2 sisters who are teachers in catholic schools. Each has a gay daughter. My sisters are struggeling to support their daughters and stick with Catholic schools. It has caused difficulty between me and my sisters as they tend to stick to religion. State funded schools should not teach any religion in my opinion. Citizenship yes, religion no.

3. James Savik 31 Mar 2013, 2:50am

Religion has been controlling people and manipulating them from the beginning of time. The stupid part is that humans have yet to wise up to the oldest con game in history.

4. I think the equal marriage campaign in the UK has opened up people’s eyes to how nasty the CofE and so called “christans” can be. It’s not just being “out of touch”, it’s being downright vicious to a minority group that is the real turn off.

It’s also being illogical, how can the CofE continue to say they are welcoming of gay people and yet be at the forefront of rejecting any pro gay legislation. They say they accept CPs but say sex outside of straight marriages is wrong. Everything they say is just nonsense usually.

The general public aren’t daft and the CofE seem to treat people as though they are peasants living in medieval times where they , the Bishops, still have power over us.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 31 Mar 2013, 1:03pm

Exactly and let’s not forget that the equal marriage debate has really exposed the nastiness of the Tory party, over half of them. They are equally out of touch with public opinion and will eventually pay the price. It won’t be equal marriage causing it either. They’re delusional if they even believe that.

2. Colin (London) 18 Apr 2013, 4:11am

Robert i take your point but Mr Cameron may loose his leadership because he supports us on Marriage. I’m a floating voter but this is a major change for us and history in the making. His party have widly differing opinions. We need to somehow repay him for his support in my opinion.

I’ve read all the submissions to Parliament over Marriage and have been in tears several times at the supposidly educated hate filled religious bodies and individuals who object. Up until then I ignored religion. Now I want it off the planet. Get people to live in the now and change circumstances without going to fairystory nutters. It’s public documents. we should publish some on here so people see how disgusting and irrelevant to the real world they are. Don’t get me started on catholics. (small c)

5. Dave North 31 Mar 2013, 3:41am

I would say that most people know that the religious are out of touch with reality.

6. “four in ten respondents believe that priests and vicars cannot be trusted to tell the truth.”

Lol…they’d probably be better off asking a second-hand car dealer the meaning of life…

7. So many people still brainwashed…

8. I am not Christian neither British and I have nothing but contempt for Christianity, but I miss Rowan Williams. From what I always read from him he was a true man.

1. When Williams took over from that fascist Carey, I too had high hopes that he might guide the Anglicans into the enlightenment of the 21st Century. but sadly Williams never did have the balls to stand up to the nastier elements within the communion and purge the church of its nasty and petty prejudices. A great chance was missed and the current incumbent of Canterbury is a wolf in sheep’s clothings. Oh, he makes sympathetic whimperings, but deep down he is cut from the same cloth as Carey.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 31 Mar 2013, 1:06pm

Totally agree. The bigots in the CoE hierarchy are just the religious component of the Tory party, all on the same page and all homophobic. Listening to the committee hearings, you could hear the bile coming out of the mouths of Burrowes and Loughton relgious agenda.

9. ColinJones 31 Mar 2013, 7:51am

The C of E has never been moral, it supported slavery and even owned its’ own slave plantation in the West Indies.It has always been part of the Establishment and only pays lip service to caring about poverty and inequality, before too long its’ head will be King Charles who is an adulterer and a divorcee but the C of E will conveniently ignore that awkward fact.

1. The C of E was specifically established to accommodate adulterous divorcee kings, so in fact Charles will be more appropriate for the role than most of his predecessors during the past 400 years….Such a pity Henry VIII wasn’t gay…

2. Who famously said that the CofE are the Tory party at prayer?

3. Robert in S. Kensington 31 Mar 2013, 1:11pm

The CoE was also virulently opposed to women having the vote. Is it no wonder they’re against female bishops? It signed it’s own death warrant when it voted to oppose them. This I think is one of the more important reasons why the British public quite rightly hold them in such contempt in addition to opposing equal marriage. Welby, a Pope Francis lightweight, may have bitten off just a bit too much than he can chew. I don’t see much change under his ‘reign’. He’s more beholden to the bigots like Archbigot Sentamu and his ilk who support the homophobic Anglican regimes in Africa.

10. Thats funny- this Poll seems to be the opposite of last week’s ComRes Poll.

They must have asked different people?

11. Just say NO to religious tyranny.

12. dorset bob 31 Mar 2013, 8:45am

As an atheist I really dont get the attraction of religion. however ,if a person wants to beleive all that stuff its fine by me. What I object to is them thinking they have the right to dictate to the rest of the population how to live their lives. They are particularly obsessed with other folks sex lives for some reason, i’m sure Freud would have had something to say about that.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 31 Mar 2013, 1:18pm

I doubt if their sex lives are that interesting and in fact they probably don’t get that much, otherwise they wouldn’t be so obsessively pre-occupied with ours 7 days a week, 365(6) days a year. I think their divorce rate is proof of that.

Tory MP Bob Blackman believes that a married man can love more than one woman at the same time, so he went ahead and had an eleven year affair with one. Not one word of condemnation from the Daily Hate Mail or Telegraph, let alone the Tory backbenchers or the CoE. Totally ignored, and equal marriage in their distorted minds could be the cause and effect of that. It’s frightening to think that people like that are in government, let alone are elected.

13. Major changes need to be made in the CoE and the RCC with immediate effect. This is the 21st century where people must be put first ahead of ridiculous manmade dogma thaat tries to control them. The more you try to control people the more they want to break free. Wake up CoE and RCC.

14. Ok, so we have yet another poll and yet another set of results, but what do they really tell us?

Only 49% appear to agree to marriage equality. 37% disagree and what of the other 14%? Surely it’s a simple yes/no question?

Lies, damned lies and statistics. Depending on the questions asked you can put any spin you like on it.

Although I do not favour a nanny state, the government needs to grow some and end ALL forms of discrimination once and for all and put the Great back into Britain.

15. The church has been out of touch with society for a very long time….it’s been out of touch with reality since it formed!

16. Jock S. Trap 31 Mar 2013, 9:42am

Sadly, I doubt those in the christian faith, mainly extremists just won’t accept this. So expect them to become more irrelevant and blame all others for their own fatal mistake.

They are imploding from within because they don’t want to listen to what others say. They are too interested in being over the law of the land and discriminating against who they wish.

17. “our in ten respondents believe that priests and vicars cannot be trusted to tell the truth.”

Their actual job description is telling lies.

18. Oh dear! More persecution!

19. Civil liberty before religious bigotry

20. Paul (Canada) 1 Apr 2013, 5:26am

Samuel 18:3 Then Jonathan and David made a covenant, because he loved him as his own soul.

Samuel 18:4 And Jonathan stripped himself of the robe that was upon him, and gave it to David, and his garments…

21. AMPisAnglican 2 Apr 2013, 1:20pm

What is surprising to me is that there seems to be an impression that the Church is somehow supposed to be in touch with society. Almost like we are to somehow be a source of confirmation and justification of all the things that society wants. Which of course is completely wrong. If anything the Church is to show the world what the world is doing wrong and provide leadership to make things right.