Freddie Mercury dressed Princess Diana in drag to sneak her into a gay bar

1. Pavlos Prince of Greece 31 Mar 2013, 4:07pm

If Princess Diana still be a live, will she in favor of same-sex marriage ? Has she maybe expressed her opinion on this matter ?

1. Brett Gibson 31 Mar 2013, 6:41pm

She’s dead. Also, I’m sure she would be all for same-sex marriage, were she still with us.

1. Oh Pattacake! Thanks for confirming you are now the true and undeafeatable holder of the ‘I’m very thick’ crown / tiara. Congratulations – you’re a winner at being a loser!

2. Robert in S. Kensington 31 Mar 2013, 4:09pm

i find this hard to believe.

Wouldn’t it be delicious if Harry of Wills or even Cate came out in support of equal marriage, but they can’t of course. Maybe one of them will defy protocol and do it. I see Harry on our side.

1. Yes. Funny how all three of the other people in this tale are now not able to either corroborate or deny it…

1. It might seem a bit outrageous, but look at who is involved – hardly the shy, retiring types. I seem to recall photo’s of her and Fergie at Madame JoJo’s dressed as Traffic Wardens as part of Fergie’s hen night and them asking JoJo’s drag supremo Ruby Venezeula round to Buckingham Palace as cabaret entertainment for a party.

Pulling such a bar visit off nowadays might be a tall order what with door checks and the proliferation of mobile phones/cameras. It would be ‘Tweeted’ within seconds and would rapidly get out of hand. Back then, with no mobile phones, even if she had been rumbled she would have been away before serious crowds of people could arrive.

3. Funny that Cleo Rocos forgot to put this story in her earlier book, Bananas Forever – My Life With Kenny Everett, and the only people who could confirm it are all now dead.
    Very poor, Pink News!

1. Is it so very hard for you to believe? I think she took bigger risks in her life than that! We know she went places in disguise, even queuing up outside Ronny Scott’s unrecognisable in a brunette wig. Don’t believe it if you can’t cope but it’s a strange position to take.

1. Spanner1960 3 Apr 2013, 1:59am

There was that classic tale of her and Sarah Ferguson dressed up as police women for a stag night.

I find the whole story well within the realms of plausibility.

2. And you were there, were you? Cleo was, so I’ll believe she knows more about this than you.

4. Brett Gibson 31 Mar 2013, 6:42pm

Hilarious! I hope this is true.

5. I heard this story ages ago… I thought it was just a standard urban myth.

6. gay dolphin 31 Mar 2013, 8:50pm

I love princess Diana!This story, true or not, has put a smile on my face.

7. A fairly average attempt at a piece of creative writing. C+

8. if that was true i would LOVE to have been in that club that night!

9. It astounds me people are so cynical about this. i notice that on the Facebook page, cynics then admit they’ve never even heard of Cleo!

It was well known, even when she was alive, that Diana used to go out undercover and without security. It was well known her friendship with Freddie and Kenny. Her work for AIDS charities started the year Freddie died. Freddie and Kenny were naughty, cheeky men (Diana shared that sense of fun, that’s why we all fell for her whether we were for or against the monarchy).

Cleo Rocos knew some of the most colourful characters of the 70s and 80s, I’m sure she has hundreds of amazing memories and stories to tell that we’ll never get to hear.

What’s not to believe?! Cleo has always been a friend of gay people and we repay her by calling her a liar?

I believe her and don’t half wish I’d been there!

1. A Boy Named Doris 1 Apr 2013, 11:57am

Agreed, does seem weird the negative reaction. This story has been doing the rounds for years, thought it was fairly common knowledge. If people choose not to believe it, let them. Their lives will be slightly the greyer for it…

2. Funny how far right the gay scene has gone. I doubt they would be welcome on today’s scene

1. I’ll add AIDS took the foundation of the gay scene and the void was filled by right wing trash and people after the pink pound.

2. Glad it’s not just me that thinks that.

10. Suddenly Last Bummer 1 Apr 2013, 10:50am

Probably is true though reading Cleo’s gushing adolescent description is truly cringe inducing.

1. Agree entirely about it being cringe inducing: ‘every new leather-clad hairy body’ and ‘the jolly queens queuing outside’ really is deep into stereotype territory

1. Spanner1960 3 Apr 2013, 2:00am

Pretty bloody accurate though.

11. Links with transgender and the gay community: no wonder the press murdered her.