Greece: Travel company launches homophobic TV ad campaign featuring predatory truck driver

1. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Mar 2013, 1:14pm

Disgusting and vile. This is the sort of thing our own religious homophobic nutters thrive on to deny us full equality.

I would never set foot in that country or spend one penny there to help its economy. That goes for all homophobic countries.

1. I absolutely agree with the first sentence. Unfortunately though, if you want to avoid homophobic countries or countries with less public acceptance of homosexuality then there’s a considerable amount of the world that you would have to avoid. That would include most of Eastern Europe, Africa, the Middle East and much of Asia. South America is becoming more progressive when it comes to LGBT rights though which is a good thing. My point being that sadly outside of Western Europe, North America and Australia and New Zealand attitudes to LGBT people are sadly very conservative and often prejudiced.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Mar 2013, 3:30pm

Chris, I have absolutely no intention of setting foot in any homophobic country, not even if I were paid handsomely. I agree with your post.

1. Unfortunately though, I have a desire to travel more extensively so I don’t know if I could be as principled as you. Well done for sticking to your guns though! Mind you countries like Uganda inherited their anti-gay laws from the British, so it’s quit a complex issue.

1. *quite

2. You are right to be disgusted by the add. However if you want an end to such attitudes, first check your own. I live and own a beach bar in Greece, and my business has a strict zero tolerance policy for the type of attitude displayed in that tourists add. Some peoples bad behaviour is not a reflection of a whole nation. If your that lucky that your living somewhere with no homophobia, you don’t need to come to Greece, your livng in paradise and I’ll come to you.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Mar 2013, 3:33pm

What I’d like to know, how much of the Greek public support full equality for LGBT people? What about equal marriage?

1. In Greece we are not big on labels. People are who they are and nobody really cares or judges what other people do. Gay rights may be virtually non existent but freedom and the belief that we are all chldren of the same God is one of our most sacred beliefs.

1. Elena, I would like to believe what you have said is true but sadly I know Greece too well. I have walked through Athens’s streets behind very “out” gay couples who have flown in from Spain and Germany for Athens Pride and I have observed the overt sneers and sniggers of Greek passers-by. I have walked myself on an Athens Pride march and observed the disgusted looks of those watching from the pavements. I have read the call from Chrysi Avgi to the Greek public to take to the streets and break up the gay pride march.

Greece is an extremely sensual country. Greeks are the greatest flirts on earth. But homophobia is deeply rooted in Greek society.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Mar 2013, 3:39pm

Compared to Greece, the UK is paradise for LGBT people when you consider the number of rights we already enjoy. It’s not perfect, far from it, but a lot better than a Greek gay person could ever envisage and a lot better than some countries where even equal marriage is legal, bitch as some of us might about the UK.

1. I think we need a sense of perspective on this issue though. I’m quite young so I’ve known nothing but a relatively tolerant society, however speaking to people who are in their 60s and 70s on this issue was a very eye-opening experience. It’s still less that 50 years since same-sex relations were legalised in Britain and we’ve come a long way in such a short space of time. I think on a human level we have every right to be appalled by the homophobic attitudes we see in foreign countries but what I have a problem with is the occasional attitude of superiority I see on this comments section. I’m grateful to be living in a *relatively* tolerant society, but I don’t think that means my culture is “better” than anybody else’s.

1. That There Other David 3 Apr 2013, 8:12pm

However, Robert’s point is that he doesn’t want to go to a country that is overtly and blatantly homophobic. Greece has nailed its colours to the mast on this point. Even with the occasional gay friendly oases such as Elena’s home the country denies gay people legal protections and a dominant political party continues to demonise LGBT people.

50 years ago the UK was similar, but if the only argument you have to defend a national culture is that others USED to be worse you’re on shaky ground. It’s like claiming car bombings in Pakistan are acceptable because Stalin killed more people.

3. Robert eat a snickers.

1. Which is why David, I said that on a human level it is ok to be outraged by these acts of discrimination but that it is wrong to claim that your country is any better. I think every country on earth has skeletons in its closet, I think that humanity as a whole has a lot to answer for. Bombings in Pakistan are wrong but in the past the United States had a problem with domestic terrorism, neither makes the other ok. I find national pride to be infantile and irrational, that was another point I was trying to make. I was not defending the Greeks at all if you read my post properly. I don’t think I was on shaky ground at all and besides, 50 years ago is hardly ancient history is it?

4. I could not agree more on your points on homophobic behaviours and attitudes, either those are individual or governmental for that matter.
      However, you are coming across ignorant, phobic and defensive when you are generalizing a contained source of power to a whole Nation.

2. Jock S. Trap 28 Mar 2013, 1:20pm

One massive step backward for Greece and they will suffer as a consequence.

As if their economy wasn’t suffering enough that now they pick and choice who they want and don’t clearly.

Shameful. The company here need to respond too.

3. Its just an add. I fund it quite funny !

Really wish people would get over themselves. A week from now this add want even be remembered by the International community.

1. In another context it might just be a silly ad with a somewhat childish sense of humour, although from the article, the greek voiceover is basically saying “book with us if you don’t want to run into any of those icky gays”. But in Greek politics right now, and I’m not exaggerating or attempting to Godwin the discussion here, there’s a big far-right movement brewing that has a very disturbing degree of similarity to the Nazis. Things like this, in that climate and culture, just add fuel to the fire.

1. Marianne, you sound like you are the most easily convinced example of ‘brainwashed’ news-reader…

2. Commander Thor 28 Mar 2013, 2:33pm

Replace the weird gay truck driver by a weird fat black woman, and you can immediately see the problem with the advert.

3. I get your point, Lance. But perhaps you’ll be laughing the other side of your face when some neo-Nazi group plays on people’s innate fears about homosexuality and targets gays. Hitler did exactly the same thing in pre-war Germany. I once saw an eminent psychologist interviewed on TV. She said, “The more freedoms minorities achieve, the more cautious of a backlash they must be”. She was right. If we allow ‘innocent fun’ to be poked in this way, it marginalises us. Do you not see that? It puts us in a ‘minority’. We must fight that notion at every opportunity or, before you know it, some religious bigot will start blaming gays for everyone’s problems. And, believe me, ‘the ignorant majority’ is always looking for someone to balme for their problems …. foreigners, immigrants, …. gays ….. etc. Suppose this was a black truck driver behaving in a threatening way towards a white, female hitchhiker? Would black people be offended or would they think it ‘a joke’?

1. It an advert, it only becomes more if you turn it into more ! No one said anything about neo-nazi’s or as some one else said the Greek Orthodox church. Its politics that is problem, not the Greek people .

Again, make something out of nothing, do not be surprise at the reaction. Humans have a tendency to be like sheep. We went from a simple travel advert,to war in Germany . I am just saying, things are as complicated as you make them some times .

4. Also, if you have to blame some one. Blame the company that made the add, not the greek people. Your average greek person probably don’t care!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Mar 2013, 2:02pm

Really? Greece is one of the most homophobic countries in the EU. The Greek Orthodox church has a stranglehold on the government which is where the bulk of the homophobia is coming from. All Greece has in anti-discrimination laws in employement and that’s it. It’s on a level with Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia and Poland.

1. Right right … thanks for letting us know what we Greeks are all about. U just enlightened my existence

2. And I take it Robert in S. Kensington that you know this because you live in Greece and no the entire inner workings of the Greek community. My experience tells me, that your average european is to busy trying to live there lives and dont care who or what or when. It is politicians and the media that seem to care . This is just an add for a travel company. Not brutal homophobic propaganda! Keeping things in context is important, and skill that seems to be failing!

3. “Greek Orthodox Church ” is not a person or people it is a company or political entity.

4. yea, poland is definitely homophobic, openly gay mp and first in the world trans mp

5. Greece is no longer safe for the LGBT traveler, because of the rise and entrenched influence of Golden Dawn:

5. ColinJones 28 Mar 2013, 1:53pm

The EU needs to kick out deadbeats like Greece if it’s serious about saving the euro.

1. In other words…. “Goal of my life: to save the Euro” ( . . . )

2. Yes they should kick out the UK . Dam deadbeats do nothing but bitch about the EU, but are more then happy to except the funding they get given from the EU …which is currently propping up the British education system.

1. Spanner1960 25 Apr 2013, 6:17pm

I would leave it tomorrow if I had the choice.

3. Yes the EU dos not kick out the UK. Dam deadbeats all they do is bitch about the EU and forecast its demise. Yet are more then happy to except founding from the EU. Funding that is currently propping up the British education system!

6. Anthony Theocharis 28 Mar 2013, 1:53pm

In a country where the third largest party is the far right party Golden Dawn, one of the most homophobic parties in the EU and where the national television censors gay kiss from Downton Abbey, I would expect something so disgusting like this ad.

Sometimes I am reallly ashamed of being Greek.

1. I can’t even trust the Internet so much as to be sure you ARE greek , and not a racist scammer

1. Anthony Theocharis 28 Mar 2013, 3:01pm

I was born and still live and study in a city called Thessaloniki in North Greece. However you have every right to believe the whatever you want.

2. Yours is a wonderful heritage, and your country’s history is a long one.
      Unfortunately, I believe the progress made toward LGBT equality thus far has been successfully blunted by the Greek gov’t and church. The Greek gov’t has openly lied in international conferences about its initiatives on behalf of Greek LGBTs. Also, I do not know of a single openly gay politician in Greece who is actively promoting civil rights protections for Greek LGBTs. The opprobrium and hostility to being openly gay extends to media where kisses between gay male characters are still censored, and Greek MTV routinely censors the words “gay” and “lesbian” from subtitles. The laws have not substantially changed and until you have openly gay men and women elected to office, you will lack the political authority you need to make meaningful changes.
      Greek gays have been complaining for months against such ad campaigns because they know that they’re fair game and stand to lose what few gains they’ve made.

1. Yes there s still homophobia in Greece, but actions are being taken. For example the censored Downton Abbey kiss was done arbitrarily by one official of greek state TV. There was a lot of protest immediately, and the kiss played freely on the second airing of the showin early evening time, and the State Tv issued an official apology for the previouw censoring.

7. Absolutely hilarious and fairly typical of Greek TV ads…..But is it not a take off from a movie??

BTW you don’t live in Greece, but I do, and can tell you that only a small minority are homophobic, and the rest of them are not interested in your sexuality.

This is an advert for a Greek company that sells air tickets on line, it is not an advert for Greece!!!

If you are going to avoid every country that shows the slightest hint of homophobia, or indeed, pokes a little bit of fun at a particualr sector of the population, then you are in for a lot of very boring holidays!!

1. I, too, live in Greece, Mykonos actually, for almost 20 years. As a gay couple we have ZERO rights and the most common term of abuse or insult used here is the word `pusti` (queer/faggot).

1. surely you would be better off in Benidorm

2. Vasilios A 14 May 2013, 3:11am

I am very surprised by this comment. Many friends that live or visit constantly Mykonos for many years talk about a peaceful, tolerant, accepting and warm society.. I am sure of course that stupid people are in every corner of thsi globe..

8. I quite like it it’s so stereotypical its funny! and yes its the company not the Greeks wish people would get their heads out!

9. relax people… it’s not that bad an ad…. wtf … it’s kinda censorship what this article is doing. Cheeky article

1. If this was a one-off, we wouldn’t mind. But this is done ad nauseam and people genuinely start reading into the stereotype.

1. i disagree with you ..perhaps because our sense of humor differs . but i am certainly as offended by the person who wrote the article as they were by this ad.

10. I’m all for satire, but this is the sort of heteronormative junk that damages the esteem of lgbt people. Why couldn’t the hitchhiker (or, even better, the truck driver) be female? The ad would still be funny without essentially slandering our community.

In adverts and mainstream TV, lgbt characters are far too often the child molestor, the predator, the prisoner, and so on. Bisexuals (in the extremely rare event that they’re shown) are usually the slut or the person with commitment issues. If this was a one-off thing, I’d not mind. But this stereotype is hurtful when it’s everywhere. It stops being a joke after the 200th telling and I am tired of it.

11. Oh dear. The problem is, minorities ALWAYS come in for aggression when an economy flounders. Hitler blamed the Jews for Germany’s pre-war financial troubles and gay people were dragged in to that culture of hatred. Pity more Greeks didn’t pay their taxes over the years instead of operating their economy in a flourishing black market. They wouldn’t be in the s**t now, would they? But don’t blame gays for your country’s ills. Blame your dishonesty.

12. Funny considering Greece was known historically for anal sex among homosexuals.

1. Only in certain quite restricted circumstances (eg it was certainly not approved of if the recipient was a citizen or the older partner), and well over 2000 years ago: so not exactly relevant.

1. Antiquity was not as strict as you describe!And yes , there were citizens with the receptive role when they were young. But this kind of relationship was not the only one accepted. We now have research results of many examples (citizens together, of the same age, whole bands of soldiers as pairs etc), and there was certainly no general law against homosexuality. In fact it seems that most of the males were bisexual in several forms..

1. Nevertheless, the idea that a number of Hellenic states were a byword for homosexuality is a post-18c misconception. True, there was no law against homosexuality in the pre-Christian world; however, you also need to understand that most adult men (including the soldiers you speak of) were expected to marry and have children. And the Greece of two millennia ago really has no bearing on the Greek culture of today, despite fantasies of heritage.

1. Nothing much has changed. Many Greek gays today say that they fully expect to marry and raise children. Because of the influence of the church, and the lack of privacy in much of Greek society (it’s not uncommon for children to live with their parents until marriage), the kind of open lifestyle experienced by LGBTs in Western Europe and the U.S. is almost unheard of in Greece. Greek society throughout its long history has always been tolerant of bisexuality.

13. Silly ad. Quite old fashioned. Ads like that were on TV here in the UK until very recently, and I mean in the last 10 years.
    Greek people are lovely, in my experience. Most men have had homosexual experiences, often in their youth. The Greeks practically invented homosexuality. It’s not spoken about much but it sure is practiced. As for them turning homophobic in a crisis. Don’t think it couldn’t happen here!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Mar 2013, 3:29pm

It’s already started with the uptick in religious nutter rants that are given wide coverage by the BBC, Mail, Telegraph, Christian Concern and Anglican Mainstream, MPs Loughton and Burrowes, among others. That is their agenda, to turn the public against us and against equal marriage even if it means telling barefaced lies.

2. The Greeks practically invented homosexuality

I know that’s just meant to be a flip remark but they really didn’t, you know.

1. No, we didn’t “invent” homosexuality…it’s natural in every nation from begining of times. But our ancestors were the first to celebtrate and glorify it.

1. Really? What about the Epic of Gilgamesh? It’s also worth noting that just because you live in a given place the people who lived there 2000+ years ago were your ancestors (any more than the British today are necessarily descended from the pre-Roman-era Britons).

14. It’s ridiculous how homophobic Greece is, considering their history.

1. Sari well considering that history took place thousands of years ago, why would you asume that has any bearing on the modern Greek nation ?

2. Most of the last 1500 years of which was being part of either the Byzantine or Ottoman empires. What exactly do you find ridiculous?

15. In times of ‘austerity’ (read – for the majority but, by no means, all) racism, misogyny, homophobia, transphobia and other nasties rise to the fore whilst the real villains (bankers and supporting politicians) keep on living the ‘high life’.
    It’s so easy to divert people’s anger away from the people who caused the global financial meltdown and turn people against their fellow human beings.

1. I think no one is better at doing that then our leaders and banking officials here in the US.

16. Staircase2 28 Mar 2013, 3:05pm

Are we talking about the same Ad?

The one I saw was far from ‘menacing’ and instead full of stereotypes of campery and fluffy cliched Pinkness…

Equally offensive albeit marred by the fact I don’t know what is being said as I don’t speak Greek

17. It’s amazing how homophobia can be so easily cured by a good dose of racism.

18. A. Beaverhausen 28 Mar 2013, 3:13pm

I am disgusted and offended – neither the driver nor hiker are cute!

19. Pavlos Prince of Greece 28 Mar 2013, 3:18pm

Sorry, but its not big deal, at least not for me. At the eve of decision on same-sex marriage in the Constitutional Court of Greece Greek society still is homophobic. Well, why must virtual reality to be different from the real ? Not funny, but very logical.

20. I didn’t find it homophobic – I found it quite amusing.

The message of the advert is: “We sell cheap air tickets, book with us rather than doing without”.

The advert could just as easily have been made about a man and a woman, or two women.

I’m glad LGBT acceptance is now such that we are included in harmless jibes like this. That’s all it is – some people really are humourless.

21. It is no a problem, then the stereotypes seen in shows like Glee and The New Normal !

And dont tell this is different because it really is not.

1. My apologies for spelling. Dam dyslexic ….oh wait thats discrimination.

See what I mean ?

22. The people on here voicing disapproval of the gay stereotype portrayed in the ad are then, in the next breath, sterotyping the whole of the Greek nation as a bunch of homophobes. No doubt these same people are the ones who criticised the effemenate Mr Humphries (John Inman) and Larry Grayson of 70’s TV fame and yet tune in and enjoy the campery that is portraid on Alan Carr and Graham Norton’s TV outings. To be consistent is a very difficult path to maintain and people should own up to being imperfect themselves. I love Greece and my partner and I are going this summer (again). We have felt nothing but warmth from the people we meet. As for British B&B owners, they’re all christian homophobes aren’t they? D’oh, hoist by my own petard!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Mar 2013, 4:37pm

I am far from perfect and no, I’m not one who criticises or condemns effeminate types who were the ones responsible for starting the modern gay rights movement during the Stonewall riots in New York during the 60s. So you can’t assume anything either.

23. I actually think this is a good thing. They are showing in many ways that there not going to follow the lead of the “Golden Dawn”. What better way to stick it to them, then like this ?

But it really is just an add !!

24. I don’t get how this is homophobic. Maybe it is if you speak Greek. I thought it was rather funny.

1. You’re right, Andrew: if you speak Greek, it’s not homophobic.

25. Menacing?? Are we talking about the same ad? Without knowing what was being said it’s impossible to judge, but it certainly the driver didn’t look ‘menacing’ or even ‘predatory’. Flirtatious, yes – and the discomfort of the younger man could be read either that of a straight man or of a younger ageist gay man uncomfortable with the sexuality of an older one.

1. My thoughts exactly. I thought the advert was quite funny, and not that unusual.

As it stands I don’t like the message of the ad because it portrays the situation in a homophobic manner and that is wrong but typical of a society like Greece which hasn’t really openly dealt with its internal xenophobia of sexual – and other – minorities.

Using humour as a vehicle however can be seen as a step forward, the man is not portrayed as a predator at all, but more of a soft, swishy pink teddy bear, flirtatious and hoping. As such I find the advert to be humorous rather than insulting.

As others have said, the Greek church and government are rampantly homophobic but a good number of the Greek people aren’t. The current crisis is a good opportunity for the GLBTI community to be more vocal as many people are fed up with both the government and the church and their views here. Athens Pride does get bigger and better every year!

26. It’s infinitely depressing to watch a still heterosexist society repeating the mistakes of the past instead of learning from them. Will such a society ever learn – or does the only answer lie in its overthrow followed by a revolutionary ejection of the nature and composition of its leadership? Grass roots action can accomplish what conventional politics can do much more quickly.

27. With regard to the rise of the Greek Nazi Party (Golden Dawn), capitalists and industrialists have always sucked up to far-right regimes in pursuit of their own advantage. It would be naive to labour under the assumption that the capitalists today that we have in Greece and also in Britain don’t actively encourage and finance the far-right.

28. Yes there s still homophobia in Greece and we need all the help we can get from our european brothers to fight it.
    But we re not on par with eastern europe. Apart from far right empowerment lately, there s been a lot of pro gay agenda both in and out of the Government. (a leftist party is in the governing coalition).
    There s protextion for gays iin the work place and also homophobia is an aggravating factor of punishment in penal trials. True we ve been discussing Civil Partnership for many years now without effevt, but it s very likely we ll have it by next year (awaiting Greece’s conviction on the matter by european court)
    The two biggest cities, Athens and Thessaloniki host Gay Pride festivals and parades each year (with growing interest) , plus lively free gay nightlife, without forgetting Mykonos , one of the most liberal places on earth.
    So don’t be so hard on us. There have benn homophobic murders even at Trafalgar sq!! We re trying our best.The add was seriously challenged !

1. ‘…But we re not on par with eastern europe…’

can we stop the silly bidding, my country is not as homophobic as yours

p.s.
      if you insist on using capital letters in you posts, then may i suggest you to use them when writing the names of countries and geographical regions

1. I have no intention of downgrading other countries. But it isn’t right to anihilate efforts made in Greece . It discourages (gay) people from further fighting…

2. I agree that Greece is not as bad as most countries in Eastern Europe. But you still have a religious influence which serves to taint, interfere and damage the lives of Greek LGBTs. You have a quasi-theocratic state in which a member of the Greek Orthodox clergy can successfully charge blasphemy (as was the case with “Corpus Christi”) & force the state to prosecute. Your military still discriminates against Greek gays serving openly, and your state-run tv tends to react after the fact- always a day too late. Greek LGBTs deserve better treatment. Parades are fun, but there’s no substitute for political power.

1. True the churh in Greece is still powerful, but you don’t have all information right. The state in Greece doesn’t prosecute. it s the district attorneyw that do. The Corpus Christi was allowed by court to be staged freely, even after some clergy protest. And it did. (blasphemy was rejected !!!) The sad thing is that it came down de facto , due to neo-nazi threats to the actors. NOT by state or COURT of justice.There s no ban on gay in the army, and there never was,Even if you declare being gay, you have to serve like everyone else (only transexuals are baned).
        The real problem on greek TV is that the state board responsible for programmes content, is homophobic (12 years the same persons) and put fines on shows with gay content, only those fines to be overturned by courts afterwards. Result being, most of the non state channels are afraid to constantly deal with that, and rarely have programs or series with decent gay content.Sounds obsurd I know.But it s lack of political initiative

1. I personally know of Greek gays who have been successfully charged with blasphemy by a member of the Greek clergy. And the charges brought against the producer, director and actors of “Corpus Christi” were more than enough to derail the production. If the D.A. of Athens represents the law of the Greek state, he could have decided not to prosecute – why didn’t he? Until Greek LGBTs become more visible and openly achieve positions of authority in Greek society, nothing will change. Given the religious influence and the lack of separation of church and state, this goal of equal treatment of LGBTs in Greek society will remain a distant goal, in what is a shame-based society. Openly gay LGBTs in Greece are truly a courageous lot.

29. the ad clearly exploits weird situation, i find it quite funny

30. ‘Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much’. Oscar Wilde

31. ehhh i find it quite funny..

32. I live in Greece and work as a Greek translator, so I’m well-placed to comment on Greece and this advert (which I, unlike most of you, can understand).

I find the ad very funny. It’s playing with stereotypes. The pale, skinny kid is the one who’d generally raise ‘suspicions’ because he’s not tanned and hairy-chested, yet it’s the big, burly, unshaven truck driver who turns out to be as camp as Christmas. The ad deliberately exaggerates stereotypes and then turns them on their head for comic effect.

Greek ads in general are quite good at playfully using stereotypes such as the corrupt politician, the inept bank robber, the slimy womaniser… All of the stereotypes are just that: recognizable stereotypes. A 60 second advert doesn’t have time to be subtle: the womaniser *has* to be portrayed with his shirt unbuttoned to the navel, masses of chest hair, and an oversized gold cross on a chain.

33. As for the statements (based mainly on an ad which you haven’t understood) that this is a homophobic country that you won’t set foot in…

I’ve lived here for over 3 years and have no personal experience any any homophobia. I’ve heard reports of homophobic attacks by the Golden Dawn, but don’t try to tell me that there haven’t been violent attacks in the UK too.

In general, however, this is a very tolerant society. I’m openly gay, but that doesn’t prevent my straight male friends from kissing me and putting their arm over my shoulder when they talk, in public, just as they would if I were straight.

And as for the comments about the Greek history of anal sex… Now who’s stereotyping?!!!

1. Dave, maybe the ad had no bad intentions, but living in Greece you should know that media rarely portray gays in non stereotypical ways. And stereotypes are “justification” of discrimination, when that’s all society sees. Jokes on blonds or womanizers, or taxi drivers don’t bring bullying.

2. just as they would if I were straight.

Isn’t that the crux of the issue? Different attitudes to affection between men perceived to be ‘straight’ isn’t really as interesting as knowing how relaxed people would be about you walking hand-in-hand with a boyfriend.

34. I went to Greece on Holiday Last year, I am a trans woman and I went with my wife, so I guess we went as a lesbian couple.
    Guess what? we had a magnificent time and all the greek people we met were charming and hospitable. So I dispute the allegations that Greece is full of homphobic people. Yes I’m sure, there will be some, but then so do we here in the UK

1. Though it’s worth bearing in mind that people – especially those who rely on tourism – will often treat foreigners differently from the way they do those in their own families and other locals.

2. Common sense 6 Apr 2013, 7:06am

It is the accusation made in the main by very young ignorant individuals who have probably not set foot outside the UK.

35. It’s not to my taste. I’d hate to see it censored though. If we go around censoring things, just because we find them distasteful, then we are no better than our foes who censor us.

If you don’t like the ad, then may I suggest, you vote with your feet and use a different company to book your travel. Maybe shoot a letter to the company to tell them that you find the ad offensive.

It’s not technically harming anyone. It’s not actively encouraging assault or harm on anyone. It’s not preaching that anyone should die or “burn in hell”. It’s just a distasteful advertisement from a backward country.

1. This is the thing Richard! Baning stereotypical homophobic ads, maybe will result in pro-gay rights ads….and we ll be backward no more….

By the way, the company decided to withdraw the ad from tv, before a hearing at the commitee of tv ads content (because of non respect of a group of citizens etc etc).

36. HAHAHAHa !!! that was really stupid. Wait im gay and young and if that kid was me id be making the same face. But w/e im not touchy. Maybe a better add next time. I didnt get to see shit of greece, But at the same time what their to see. OOOOOO yes i did.

37. Common sense 6 Apr 2013, 6:30am

Am a bit confused by the reaction here. The ad isn’t homophobic. It might be a wee bit crass but it is humour. When did we become so over sensitive that we stopped being able to laugh at ourselves?

And as for boycotting Greece because of this: for heaven sake grow a pair!

38. Spanner1960 25 Apr 2013, 6:20pm

I think this is over-reactive crap.
    OK, I don’t know what the guy says, but based on just the stereotypical piss-take, I find it fairly harmless.

People need to grow a pair.

39. James Savik 13 May 2013, 3:59pm

Actually- I think that I’ve met that guy.

He’s alive and well and a stereotype because he is quite real.

40. .....Paddyswurds 4 Jul 2013, 8:28pm

How ironic is it that homosexuality was once euphemistically referred to as “the Greek disease”

41. pahh – how can you describe the trucker as menacing – so funny i played it twice

42. I see nothing homophobic in this ad. A guy has a right not to like the pink curtains… what’s wrong with that? Actually, i think the ad is quite funny.

43. Despite Greece’s long bisexual history, Greeks have often rejected the facts of that history, encouraged to do so by the Greek Orthodox Church, which has always denounced pre-Christian Greece as pagan. Ads such as this play with stereotypes and are insensitive. Recently, unsigned articles have appeared in Greek media (Newsbomb.gr) in support of the kind of anti-gay propaganda laws recently passed in Russia, alarming Greek LGBT activists (gayworld.gr). This is a disturbing trend that will play havoc with what is already stymied progress in a country that pays only lip service to equal protection laws that should also include Greek LGBTs.

44. FOR THIS AD I BELIEVE ONLY GAY PEOPLE WHERE OFFENDED…I AM GREEK, IS O.K FOR US WHAT U DO IN UR PANTS, WE DONT CARE. BUT IS DISCUSTING TO DISTURB OTHER PEOPLE NOT GAY…SOME PEOPLE BELIEVE IS NORMAL THIS BEHAVIUR BUT FOR STRAIGHTS NOT..THERE WAS ONE GIRL YEARS AGO CALLING ME ALL THE TIME, TRYING TO CONVINCE ME HOW WONDERFULL IS TO BE GAY AND I SHOULD TRY…. MA NOOO I DONT WANT SO RESPECT THAT. MANY THEY DONT, WHAT IS UR PROBLEM PEOPLE?

45. o.k here’s what the video says= (boy) thank u
    (driver) where the boy goes?
    (boy) torino
    (driver) niiice!!!!!! we’ll pass first from kavala (city)
    (advertise) you want to travel cheap? but u ¨pay it ¨expensive¨ at the end? bla bla bla…..
    in the meaning why u have to feel uncofortable if u dont like a situation…
    what is bad on that people?