Ian McKellen: ‘Cruel’ religious leaders to blame for LGBT teens being thrown out of homes

1. GulliverUK 25 Mar 2013, 1:25pm

It must be particularly difficult now, with very high youth unemployment, with many young gay men and women having to continue to stay with their parents, long after they might have got their first job and moved out.

It’s never been more important that parents stand up to their obligations to love and protect their children, to allow them to grow and be themselves, to not impose their own beliefs on their children. This last 2 years have been hate-fueled, almost all of it coming from religious groups, particularly the Catholic church, followed closely by Anglicans. Sir Iain is spot on.

1. GulliverUK 25 Mar 2013, 1:28pm

.. not forgetting those who are bisexual or transgender – just a figure of speech, my poor phrasing.

2. Good on Sir Ian for speaking out.

I suspect this is an issue that is we as a community still need to come to grips with. Many of us had pretty easy coming out compared to how some young gay people are maltreated by their parents. Just because they didn’t turn out the way their parents (or their parents religious leaders) wanted.

Must be awful to be chucked out on the street at an early age with no support.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Mar 2013, 2:03pm

Well said, Sir Ian. Contrast that with the religion based hate demo in London yesterday. I’ve no doubt those people are the very ones Sir Ian is referring to, the ones who throw their children out when they learn they are gay, no thanks to the complicity of the evil Anglican and Roman cults combined.

1. …in actual fact it is VERY MUCH thanks to these evil cults.
      But I know what you mean.
      Keith.
      SALFORD

4. ALL homophobia is religiously inspired. Kids are taught by religion that being gay is ‘bad’. If kids were not taught by religion that ‘gay is bad’, where WOULD this stigma come from? The blood of every teen suicide is on the hands of religion’s negativity about homosexuality. That’s why we, as a community, have a duty to fight back at these people. Sooner or later, EVERYONE will know someone gay. That will be the final tipping point against religion as every one of those people will reject religion’s assertion that ‘gay = bad’,

5. Garry Cassell 25 Mar 2013, 3:35pm

Every clergy and politician who make such hatefilled negative comments about ones sexuality and especially comments that bring harm of any kind should be faced with criminal charges…Parents who abandon thetr children because they are gay should face a mandatory jail sentence of at least 20 years..

6. I can only agree with “Gulliver UK”

But apart from that, I have already set out in my Will that the Albert Kennedy Trust will benefit from 75% of whatever I am worth once I finally pop my clogs. That is likely to be well more than £100K.

What have you done to help our younger brothers and sisters?

1. I’m a carer with the AKT. I offer supported lodgings to the young LGBT people who are homeless and some of their stories are heartrending. Why not contact AKT and see if you could become a carer or a mentor? They are crying out for more carers, especially from the lesbian and trans parts of our community. It’s not for the faint-hearted as young people can be a bit bonkers lol! but we were all young and bonkers once :) So if you have a spare room – why not think about it?

1. Oops! That was meant to be a general comment, not a reply to you, Mike K! Sorry about that!

2. I donate and akt is in my will too

7. I love this man and all he stands for!!

It’s very true what Sir Ian says. I was never bullied for being gay, just for being me and what was said did have a long lasting effect on me. Words of hate can be as damaging as anything physical. The physical; wounds heals and vanish over time. Verbal wounds don’t heal so easily :/

8. ..this whole subject is so delicate and totally interesting at the same time because…Mr Mckellen has said some very poignant things—–ie: religious leaders are full of hatred and vile comments about homosexuality which in turn get picked up by parents who then cause mental distress for their children by relating all the offensive materials said.

9. I have know about the trust since 2002 and I donate a ever month everyone should. I have been homeless and only when it happens to you, when you have no where to go when your friends turn their back will you realise how important this organisation is. Please donate

10. Keith Francis Farrell 26 Mar 2013, 5:19pm

I tendto agree with the opening headline. Teens hould not have to be at risk of loosing their home because of honophobic parents, I know what it is like to live in a homophobic family. I would like to foster a child that has been kicked ut of his home because of who he is. We as a couple can make that child grow up possitive about who he is but it would seem we are not allowed to do this. I have been told we cannot say we want to provide a home to a gay person, I dont kno if this is some why that the foster agencies use to try and get young guys straight,(by leaving them in group homes or homophobic homes) or what, but I wish there was a way that we could provide a home for gay young people without having to go through all he discrimanation

11. Serena would like it to be known that he will gladly open his home and hole to any teenage lads.

12. Liam Eriks 27 Mar 2013, 3:28pm

Bravo! Sir Ian.
    Jeg er så heldig at være homoseksuel og have homoseksuelle forældre, og bor i København.
    Hold slås, sir. Det er på tide nogle talte op for os børn.
    ——–
    Bravo! Sir Ian.
    I am so luck to be gay and have gay parents, and live in Copenhagen.
    Keep fighting, sir. It’s about time some spoke up for us kids.

13. Maus Merryjest 28 Mar 2013, 7:31am

With all due respect to Sir Ian, he should also be laying the blame on the parents of these kids for *believing* that rubbish and not exercising one ounce of critical thinking. No amount of snake-oil salesmen can fool you simply by speaking, you must voluntarily turn your brain off, first.