Keith O’Brien accusers deny being part of a ‘gay cabal’ seeking ‘revenge’

1. I personally see nothing wrong with a gay cabal seeking revenge. This guy seems to have got away with it so far!

1. Hadn’t thought of that. How do you join this cabal?

1. Rudehamster 24 Mar 2013, 3:31pm

Not sure. But if they don’t give loyalty blowjobs and Waitrose vouchers I’m not interested.

2. Exactly what I was going to say. As if claiming it is a gay cabal somehow lessens his crimes?

I have thought all along that it was probably his vile outspoken ant-gay speeches that prompted these people to finally speak out.

You don’t have to be in a gay cabal (which they obviously aren’t) to feel moved by hypocrisy to speak out.

2. I see. The vatican PR people have been on the job again. We have a reborn St Francis for a pope and all that scandal, that’s all supposed to be in the past, and in any case, it’s a massive gay anti-catholic conspiracy anyway!!!
    I wonder who they’re talking to. I really do. I mean, most Catholics that I know think the hierarchy is corrupt anyway and take anything the vatican says with a huge tonne of salt. As for the rest of us, well, do they think we’re so stupid that we can’t see through this transparent PR job? It just makes them look pathetic.

1. They will re-brand soon and remove the word catholic. Unfortunately when they changed “Windscale” to “Sellafield” it was just as radioactive.

3. Rudehamster 24 Mar 2013, 3:29pm

*sighs a happy sigh*
    It appears that O’Brien’s flock of nasty pious pigeons are coming home to shit all over his head.
    What a shame it hadn’t happened earlier, but his downfall has been the most spectacular Catholic own goal.
    I’m loving every minute of it.

4. Eamon O'Connor 24 Mar 2013, 3:33pm

This is truly sad. The cardinal seems to have been dedicated to his role as a person who feels entitled to abuse his position of authority. I feel for the young priests he supervised over his career and I condemn the evil he has done. He should be in sack cloth and ashes sitting on the ground in front of his former cathedral asking for the forgiveness of those he has harmed. Along with many of his us counterparts such as Francis George, Roger Mahony and Jose Gomez Mahony’s successor in Los Angeles.

1. Deus caritas est 24 Mar 2013, 5:24pm

Are you genuinely putting His Eminence KeithPatrich Cardinal O’Brien in the same category as Francis George and Mahoney? You’re seriously deranged!

1. But what about him telling African Catholics they cannot to use condoms against AIDS when he was probably using them all the time during his thirty year physical relationship with one of the priests? He really is a very bad man.

5. Jock S. Trap 24 Mar 2013, 3:42pm

Wondered how long this would take to start.

It’s anything to take away from the fact that Keith O’Bigot actually has done something wrong, caused harm, been a massive hypocritical, been a vile bigoted homophobe….

This is the Catholic’s answer to everything when one of their own does something wrong, whether it be child abuse, adult abuse, mentally and sexually they will somehow bring it about to blame the victims.

Best way to cover it up I guess.

What a vile disgusting lot they are.

1. Deus caritas est 24 Mar 2013, 4:11pm

Your revulsion of Catholicism is as bigoted as that which you hate His Eminence Keith Patrick Cardinal O’Brien for. Unsubstantiated too which borders on stupidity.

1. “Unsubstantiated” as in O’Brien confessed to what he did and resigned over it, just before he got the push?
        That kind of “Unsubstantiated”?
        His hypocritical homophobia in the runup to his fall from grace remains a matter of public record.

1. Deus caritas est 24 Mar 2013, 4:44pm

The hyperbolic sweeping condemnation and verdict is what is unsubstantiated. It is false to say what actually happened between these four priests and His Eminence Keith Patrick Cardinal O’Brien and similarly it would appear that this was consensual. Without the full disclosure of these priests all this can ever be is intrigue.

I still don’t see it as hypocrisy. The Truth for the Church remains constant despite human weakness. I agree that perhaps HE’s rhetoric was often unhelpful but I do not see him as a hypocrite. You do not know what he felt or even feels about his sexuality. I suspect it is a great source of shame for HE.

What I demand substantiated is the claim that the Church turns this to blame the victim (s)!

1. I do not see him as a hypocrite

Time for a visit to SpecSavers.

2. And your slavish devotion to the Catholic heirarchy is… well, pure stupidity.

6. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Mar 2013, 3:43pm

Who is it I wonder who is accusing them of a gay cabal? Ann Widdecombe has been rather silent lately in this regard. It sounds like the sort of thing she’d resort to saying and others of her ilk.

1. Well, both the Christian Institute and Christian Concern have so far just stuck their fingers in their ears and hummed all through this story despite their reverence of the man before the scandal. Looks like another one that *feeds files into the shredder* never existed!

7. Deus caritas est 24 Mar 2013, 4:08pm

‘Pink News’ whilst a good source of LGBT causes and information is at best simply anti-Catholic. You – we – demand tolerance yet you seem content to condemn an entire Church on the failings on man. The Church which you seem ignorant of is above human weakness. As the spotless bride of +Christ It has a duty to remain constant to Truth. This is despite mankinds’ sin.

Furthermore, it seems apparent that the secrecy and intrigue of these priests is as inconspicuous as that which they say His Eminence Keith Patrick Cardinal O’Brien is alleged to have done. I am disappointed by HE’s behaviour and I see why it is viewed with such disdain given his promise at ordination, however I do hope, too, that HE’s tireless work for the poor and social injustice is remembered.

I’m saddened but what angers me is poor journalism which is on an unashamed affair with four priests out for revenge. I see this as cowardice.

1. You can stick your fingers in your ears and chant “LA LA LA LA LA I’m not listening” all you want but the last 10 years of the papacy has been marked by open warfare on gay equality. Cardinal O’Brien wasn’t shy about adding his voice to the condemnation when he was in charge of the British Catholic church. Here’s a quick reminder of his opinions last year…
      Now we discover all along that he’s been making passes at male priests you expect us all to play nice and to think of all the wonderful things he did for “charidee”, and somehow lay the blame with the naughty priests for saying all those horrible things about the nice man (who incidently seems to have already confessed to the general gist of the accusations?)
      Get real.

1. Deus caritas est 24 Mar 2013, 5:08pm

If you read my comments properly you will see I’m disappointed by His Eminence Keith Patrick Cardinal O’Brien’s behaviour. My point if you are able to understand is that whilst deplorable the Church cannot be held accountable because of human weakness! It’s above that because it relies on Divine Truth. Therefore regardless of man’s failings the Church remains True and Good and Unified!

I know perfectly well what HE has said in the past years about ‘gay marriage’. And, again, had you properly read my comments you would have read that I found the rhetoric unhelpful. Indeed, I’d go as far to say it was inflammatory.

I’m only sorry I’m not as perfect as you and that I’m not so content with myself! Perhaps HE should have sought your universally accepted council!

You narrow-mindedness is sad.

A person’s sexuality can be so dreadful to them that self condemnation is all they can expect.

1. He still had a choice. Ever heard the phrase “people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones”.
          If we were talking about a man who was stuck in the closet for decades and kept his self loathing to himself then tragic, but understandable.
          You can spin this however you want but you can’t deny he proceeded to chuck all gay people under the bus to cover his sorry ass.
          It’s not his self-condemnation I have the problem with.It’s his considerable contibution to condemning the rest of us from a position of supposed moral authority when he had the option of not saying anything at all on the matter.
          I’m just one person commenting online. He had an audience of millions.

1. Deus caritas est 24 Mar 2013, 5:30pm

I agree HE’s comments made many of us in the pews and altar wince and feel dejected. I think you’re right that he has left himself open to the criticism.

I am not hiding behind anything. I’m merely pointing out that despite HE’s actions versus his words do not detract that he was staying the Truth of the Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Perhaps I feel the gay community could show more compassion.

Also remember that these affairs occurred several times – according to the media – over serval years. That suggests mutual rather than the anise of power.

2. It suggests nothing of the sort.
            If you think that repeated sexual harrassment amounts to consent then I’m guessing you’ve never been sexually harrassed.
            A few years back in a previous job a more established colleague sexually harrassed me.
            Telling him where to go on six seperate occasions just caused him to view me as “fiesty but available”, and at the time I couldn’t afford to quit the job.
            And he wasn’t even my line manager (who I eventually did go to, reluctantly as the guy in question had a wife and kids to support).
            If you think repeated sexual harrassment = consent then you are the one with the issue here.

3. Jock S. Trap 25 Mar 2013, 12:34pm

It’s a shame that compassion never enters when it comes to the victims eh?

The Catholic Church is so hypocritical, so much of a farce. It condemns all but it’s own. It’s own it protects!

Why should we show compassion to people that think we should be dead, that bitch about everything about us without knowledge of who we are and THEN get caught out?

If Catholic Compassion does not exist for Gay people, Lesbians, Bisexuals etc then why the hell are we supposed to give a damn.

Remember, respect has to be earned. The Catholic Church never shows any respect to the LGBT community so why do we have to show it back?

Personally I wouldn’t waste my time but them unlike the Catholic Church I’m too busy getting on and enjoying my life to care what some hypocritical harpy thinks of me.

2. Jock S. Trap 25 Mar 2013, 12:25pm

“…whilst deplorable the Church cannot be held accountable because of human weakness!”

I see but yet seems to see fit on speaking against such ‘weaknesses’.

So it can speak against but not be blamed when it’s own act on them. So yet again what about the victims who the church will attack for said ‘weaknesses’?

That would mean the church is hypocritical.

So at what stage, what time, what part to you do the victims matter?

2. Deus caritas est 24 Mar 2013, 6:56pm

Mr North, Latin is the basis of most modern languages. Without understanding it one cannot understand English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portugese, Romanian and Croation to name but a few. It was widely used in Europe up until quite recently.

Other than that I have nothing else to say to you.

1. Dave North 25 Mar 2013, 4:15am

P1ss off. Not interested.

2. Croatian? That’d be the South Slavic language that used to be known until recently as Serbo-Croat then, would it?

1. Deus caritas est 25 Mar 2013, 2:08pm

Yes Rehan, Croation uses several alphabets including Latin. Its originates circa 9th century and in the region Latin was the most used among academics as did the rest of Europe up to and beyond the ghastly reformation.

2. The fact that the Roman alphabet is used is irrelevant – so does German, so does Hungarian, so (for that matter) does Turkish. Croatian is a Slavic language (as is Serbian, which is largely the same language, the hint being found in Serbo-Croat). Latin being the common language, until recently, of academe is similarly irrelevant to a language’s roots.

3. Deus caritas est, Deus caritas est, Deus caritas est! tu subinde, ac fortasse credat!

“god is love, god is love, god is love! keep telling yourself that, and perhaps you will believe it”!

(I had to use the Google translation site for the above translation )

“Deus caritas est”… do you really believe that god is love…?
      Then how come god’s so called representatives on earth are such a bunch of…
      Hypocritical, pompous, deceitful, homophobic, pedophile, hate mongering, fascist, lying, control freak, bastards!
      I can not see any love there… only a bunch of desperate old men, holding on to their power!
      Your, beloved… “Cardinal O’Brien” was caught out, now the chickens have come home to roost!
      You seem to believe that every one is out to get the catholic church… I’m very much afraid that you’ve
      got that wrong… very wrong…

“The catholic church is out to get everyone”!

This is 2013 and people aren’t buying their lies and hatred any more!

4. Deus caritas est, I would just like to pick up on your point that Pink News is anti-Catholic. I cannot remember reading one single article here about Catholic matters that wasn’t dealing with your church’s attitude to Gay people or some related hypocrisy. Catholicism is never attacked for any other reason here. Your blind belief is pitiful and, sadly, typical of many in your brainwashed cult. If there is a god, he doesn’t want you to close your eyes to justice.

1. Jock S. Trap 25 Mar 2013, 12:56pm

Indeed.

I dare say when the Heads of Catholic Church says something positive about the LGBT community and it’s relationship we’ll hear about it.

But Deus can hardly say Pink News is anti Catholic when all The Heads of the Church says about our community is negative.

Yet again that comes under the wording hypocritcal.

2. Deus caritas est 25 Mar 2013, 2:23pm

Cal there are numerous past articles which target Catholicism and indeed have sullied and been derogatory towards His Holiness Pope – Emeritus Benedict XVI.

5. Jock S. Trap 25 Mar 2013, 12:20pm

The real cowardice is those that are so blind as to defend abusers, then questions for evidence that victims are blamed.

Yet here you are already defending O’Bigot and excusing his actions against his victims.

This is what the Catholic Church does. Only a few weeks ago another Catholic Bigot said he forgave the people who are angry that he covered up child abuse. Not sorry to the victims.

This is what the Catholic Church does. It protects it’s own by smearing, blaming and then covering up it’s own abuses.

They cannot be trusted. People see them and other religions for what they truly represent in the world…. The True Evils!

1. Deus caritas est 25 Mar 2013, 2:18pm

Pray tell where have I excused his actions??! Note we do not know what these were but again I ask where have I defended his actions?

The Church is note evil! That is false and wrong. People within my beautiful Church have wronged and could be described as being evil at some point but these are human actions and not the Church itself, which is the spotless bride of +Christ

8. So, when Mr. O’Brien called being gay “slavery” and “child abuse”, he was speaking with considerable expertise. One wonders why he did not present his credentials on the subject while opining. However, it is comforting to find that his anti-LGBT tirades were nothing more than a manifestation of his self-loathing. He is certainly justified in hating himself.

9. How many times has this script played out around the world based on the same power dynamics and the culture of cover-up and secrecy?

10. Deus caritas est 24 Mar 2013, 6:33pm

To FlapJack, I’m not suggesting that sexual harassment is to be taken lightly. Quite the opposite, in fact. However the facts remain that the real truth of what actually happened remains undeclared. These priests must disclose their identity and come clean about these events.

I’m dreadfully sorry you experienced that type of behaviour. I’ve endured both homophobia and anti-Catholicism in the work place and alas both were ignored.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Mar 2013, 7:31pm

Those priests who were the sexual targets of O’Brien did come forward to the media, the Observer in fact and lodged complaints with the Vatican. If you’re so keen on them to reveal their identity, why aren’t you demanding others in the hierarchy, as guilty as O’Brien of sexual impropriety come forward and take responsibility for their actions too? Do you really believe O’Brien is the only one? There are many more who are remaining silent for obvious reasons. The ones who protest too much.

1. Deus caritas est 24 Mar 2013, 8:37pm

I think it is wrong to make rumour. We need facts here not more intrigue.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Mar 2013, 12:58pm

Those who reported O’Brien obviously had the facts otherwise he wouldn’t have resigned in disgrace and now in hiding. If he isn’t guilty, what evidence did he have to deny the accusations, why resign? No newspaper is going to print anything that could result in a lawsuit unless the facts were substantiated by those who came forward. Even the Vatican knows that.

2. Bill Cameron 24 Mar 2013, 8:13pm

You wrote:
      “Perhaps I feel the gay community could show more compassion.”

- Is this some kind of sick joke?! Compassion for an individual and the organisation he represented showing the “gay community” nothing but contempt and vile treatment over many years/decades? Only over my cold, dead body will I show “compassion” to these vile people. Do you have any real understanding of the monstrous nature of the organisation you seek to support? Yes, I do hate the Catholic Church!. So sue me! Finally, get lost!

1. Deus caritas est 24 Mar 2013, 8:51pm

I shan’t get lost and I shall continue to love and defend the One True Church which has only ever shown me affection, support and a sense of true belonging.

As a gay Catholic I have found things trying and difficult at times but most importantly I have known the love and forgiving essence of the One True Apostolic Faith.

I’m sorry you hate the Church. I’m sorry you hate at all. I’ve never hated so can only imagine that it’s a very destructive sentiment. I hope you remedy this as I fear like a cancer it will only grow and fester.

I said I wished the ‘gay community’ was able to show compassion for they – we – have known what it is to feel alone.

The Church has shown great support for all minorities. Perhaps not as you know however the Catechism clearly states support for homosexuals. Indeed, as a homosexual I have felt tremendous support from the Church.

1. You should get help. And not from a priest.

2. Bert_Murtle 24 Mar 2013, 10:11pm

The rest of us will defend tangible reality, rather than fabrications of sky wizards. The church has opposed every great civil rights movement with its ritualistic primitivism; it has no place in the 21st century and you can thank your god that it’s on the decline.

1. Deus caritas est 24 Mar 2013, 10:23pm

1.2 Billion and growing. I do thank my God. I thank Him for the gift of His Holy Apostolic Church.

2. Jock S. Trap 25 Mar 2013, 12:46pm

Well lets just hope it is the right one, coz like all religions say they are only the right one and all the others are the devils work.

Laughable at the best of times.

So hypocritical but that’s religion for you.

I’d rather think for myself and just carry on enjoying life.

3. Jock S. Trap 25 Mar 2013, 12:48pm

That 1.2 Billion and growing… that’s a lot of deluded people… lol

4. Growing? Only among the uneducated in developing countries. You may not have noticed but the RCC is in terminal decline in the West.

3. yes dearie, whatever you say, dearie.

4. Jock S. Trap 25 Mar 2013, 12:43pm

“I’m sorry you hate at all. I’ve never hated so can only imagine that it’s a very destructive sentiment.”

Yet not only do you belong to a hateful religion that promotes hatred of others but also those it teaches, I find your comment typical of religious lies and deception.

It is religion that is the true evils of this world and I for one look forward to the day when religion is something read in the history books to teach others that such hatred much never return.

Only then will humanity really become progressive.

3. Sir: do you think that you might be suffering from Stockholm Syndrome? Precisely how cruel does your church need to be before you recognise it? The Cardinal, whether he was also hypocritical, was certainly lacking in kindness. Don’t think for a moment that he’d have given you the time of day as a human being of worth. He might have sought gratification but nothing more than that.

11. Whatever the motivation, I applaud them whole heartedly.

12. Which is clearly why you apologised for your immoral sexual conduct, O’Brien.

13. And I guess all the victims of jimmy saville where a teenage cabal seeking revenge on the BBC?

1. Deus caritas est 24 Mar 2013, 10:20pm

Mark Y there is a world of difference between this and sexual abuse of minors. Are you seeking to put His Eminence Keith Patrick Cardinal O’Brien’s gay orientation and sexual abuse of minors in the same category.

You’ll understand if I take offence to that! You see, I don’t see homosexuality and paedophilia as one and the same!!!

His Eminence Keith Patrick Cardinal O’Brien’s impropriety – deplorable because of his vows – is that.

1. You seem to be defending the …undefendable!

You remind me of an old record (they were made of vinyl) when they got scratched, they use to repeat the same thing… over and over and over again… like yourself!

This is 2013… how about you update to CD’s or some other new format…
        Then perhaps you mightn’t repeat yourself as often?

1. Deus caritas est 25 Mar 2013, 10:40am

Joseph, your insults are meaningless. I’m defending Truth. Not the man, though I feel His Eminence Keith Patrick Cardinal O’Brien is, essentially, a very good man so I shall defend the episcopate and the office of Cardinal.

Because we are an ancient tradition that does not mean the Truth changes.

You’re inability to see I can be both gay and faithful to The One True Apostolic Church is systematic of your desire to have everything by condition.

I shall keep you and all who have posted on here in my prayers.

1. Jock S. Trap 25 Mar 2013, 12:52pm

Deus, your religion is meaningless. You’re defending hatred, lies and discrimination.

Keith O’Bigot is hardly a good man. He is a nasty, homophobic bigot. He like others, including you only teach hatred and lies but then this is the chosen lifestyle you wanted.

2. Both Catholics. Both abusers. At least Saville never used his position of power to slander and to attempt to block the rights of all gay people.

3. I’m not putting sexual orientation and pedo’s in the same category – that’s your warped mind that has done that. I’m putting abuse in the same category. Also, I don’t think you believe one word you are writing, I know you are a troll that is having a laugh. Pathetic. Get a life mate. Or get some help. Psychologically.

1. Deus caritas est 26 Mar 2013, 4:30pm

Mark indeed your writing style highly suggests that you are indeed equating the two. They do not belong in the same sentence. To put them in the same sentence and category gives insight to your mind, not mine. You wrote:

‘And I guess all the victims of jimmy saville where a teenage cabal seeking revenge on the BBC?

And are all the children abused by catholic priests a cabal seeking revenge too?’

This is not an issue about the abuse of minors. All we know is that His Eminence Keith Patrick Cardinal O’Brien had improper relations with four priests. There is an alleged assault, which the judicial authorities are not pursuing.

I have from the off set said I do not agree with what HE has done due mainly to his vows at ordination. Indeed I feel he should have turned down the episcopate and red skull cap. This has clearly been torturous for him but it does not detract from the wrong HE has done. Whether consensual or not is of no matter. It is still disobedient.

14. Gay cabal? Next he’ll be say they meet in a ‘haunt of gay people’.
    How very 60s of him.