Hundreds of pro and anti same-sex marriage campaigners protest at Trafalgar Square

1. If they don’t like they can feck off back to their own country. These evil christian freaks don’t belong in an equal society. Maybe they should try Saudi Arabia or Iran!

1. They should take a one way ticket to the moon and take all Muslims, Catholics, Anglicans, Free Presbyterians, etc. and Anne Widdecombe with them.

2. In fairness there was more of the pro marriage crowd then the gay community protesting.

I have no problem with the pro marriage crowd protesting, that is their democratic right, even if I don’t necessarily agree.

1. Pro marriage? I always thought same sex marriage campaigners were pro marriage too.
      And no, in this case I disagree, these were mostly immigrants, foreign nationals. I find it appalling.

1. O stop being so legalistic and nit picking Michael you know what he meant..

2. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Mar 2013, 5:19pm

Yes, true… but foreigners who aren’t British citizens shouldn’t be allowed to organise a demonstration anywhere in the UK to interfere in our domestic affairs, i.e. the equal marriage bill. Would we be accorded the same right in France? I doubt it.

1. Bunch of racists

2. de Villiers 25 Mar 2013, 9:04am

As much as I disagree with the demonstration, you would have the same right in France.

The UK is not the only democracy in the EU.

3. The gay community protesting ARE pro-marriage. That’s what you bigoted idiots don’t seem to understand!

4. I was at the event today, just got back home….I hear the French got around this issue of protestion on forighn soil by hooking up with the Christian anti Gay right.

3. Hey look, foreigners who don’t pay attention. “The public were given no warning”, so therefore the past several years went over your head?

4. Liam the God 24 Mar 2013, 4:43pm

Has Bo Jo decided that we don’t have enough Bigots of our own, so we need to import them?
    What do you think the odds are that most of the Anti-Equality Brits are members of UKIP? I wonder if they see the tragic irony of their position? Probably not…

5. Qu’ils rentrent chez eux! Fichez-nous la paix!

1. de Villiers 25 Mar 2013, 9:15am

Je suis entièrement d’accord avec vous – mais les Français ne sont pas des étrangers. Nous sommes tous les citoyens de l’Union européenne.

6. theotherone 24 Mar 2013, 4:55pm

so a bunch of people from another european country want to have a say in humn rights in this country?

sorry to sound a little ukip but…well it’s not quite on is it?

7. Forgive my ignorance – I’m French, but why do French protesters have any relevance to the UK law making procedure?

1. Because they are bigots, religious zealots, and they’re looking for a fight.

These people are basically trolls, like the Phelps family in the US. They all have right-wing nationalist views, and if they weren’t protesting this here they would probably be throwing eggs at a Mosque or tearing Hijab’s from women’s faces in their own country.

They are using religion as an excuse to spew their extremist bile

2. Good point, they have no more right than the Vatican to dictate UK law.

3. Because they are brain-washed, christian Taliban. If only these ‘loving christians’ put as much effort into solving Third World poverty ….. which is much more akin with what their founder advocated ….

8. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Mar 2013, 4:58pm

M. Montgieux is an idiot. We had a public consutlation in the UK. Too bad if the French didn’t.

Now let’s see the how the hate-mongers both British and French spin the numbers that turned up to protest against equal marriage. Why a foreigner was allowed to bring the French protest to London baffles me. It should never have been allowed. You can bet we wouldn’t be allowed to do it in France.

I can just see the headlines in the Daily Hate Mail and Telegraph tomorrow monring….’hundreds of thousands of protesters against gay marriage” and ‘very few supporters of equal marriage turned up’. Widdecombe will be wetting her knickers, Burrowes and Loughton will be spinning it as if it’s the majority opinion of the British public. I’ve no doubt we’ll see another one once the bill reaches the Lords and I suspect C4M/CI will have already positioned themselves to bombard the Lords with emails, letters and what not.

1. Dave North 24 Mar 2013, 6:11pm

The Widdebeast has been saying nothing since O’Brien was caught with his trousers down.

Perhaps she is now questioning her faith, however I doubt it.

1. Three or four hundred years ago a single woman who kept cats would be burnt as a witch

1. I know of quite a few single women with cats who are campaigners for equal marriage. You may think what you said was amusing, but I felt a strong emotional jolt when I read it. I know that if I’d lived then I would have been one of those women who were hung (not burned in England). It surprises me that someone who is obviously aware of the persecution of those deemed as ‘other’ should come out with something like this.

2. Craig Nelson 24 Mar 2013, 8:13pm

The French did have a consultation – two rounds of a presidential election and two rounds of a parliamentary election where marriage and adoption were in the manifesto for the socialists, communists and greens. Francois Hollande was elected President and his party has an absolute majority.

9. Jock S. Trap 24 Mar 2013, 4:59pm

the bigots show themselves up here. What make them think anyone will listen to a protest organised and demonstrated by people that don’t even live here. They have nothing to do with British law and all this does it show them up to be completely pointless.

I mean having to openly make the numbers up from people outside the country? What does that say about them? Desperate or what?!!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Mar 2013, 5:08pm

Doesn’t say much for our own opposition does it having to rely on foreigners to bolster their numbers today. I think it’s a bloody cheek that the French were allowed to orchestrate this.

10. Va te faire foutre Accueil Vous singes fromage rachat manger et prendre votre fanatisme avec vous.

11. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Mar 2013, 5:04pm

The one in Paris was huge apparently. Ours of course I’m sure won’t even be that significant let alone have any impact except the tabloids will use it as fodder in tomorrow morning.

12. If you don’t like how the UK does things, then leave as you came.
    I wouldn’t dream of moving to Pakistan, and taking issue with its lack of equality. Why come here to do the opposite. I hate saying things like “go back home” I sound like the BNP, but it’s true, no one’s forcing you to stay into a country you chose to move to.

1. Dave North 24 Mar 2013, 6:37pm

They see themselves as “protectors of the faith”, whilst clearly having zero understanding of their own “good book”.

If they actually took time out to read that vile tomb they would see it for the gibberish that it is, written 40 years after the death of their so called “prophet” and re-written time immemorial since to suit the organized churches.. IE the people that make money from it.

It will die out, but unfortunately most likely to be replaced with another.

People in general are scared of death, therefore stupid and beholden to these cults.

13. Lukefromcanada 24 Mar 2013, 5:32pm

NO WARNING???? are you effin kidding me? In France it was part of the manifesto when Hollande was elected and in England there was a LENGTHY consultation

1. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Mar 2013, 7:09pm

Not everything has to be in a manifesto. Our opponents used that canard to try to thwart a vote on equal marriage on February 5th which saw a stunning super majority vote “yes”. They forget that reform of the National Health Service wasn’t in the manifesto either and no complaints about that of course. Equal marriage was in fact in the equalities contract. It wasn’t necessary to include it in the manifesto.

1. Lukefromcanada 24 Mar 2013, 7:24pm

one can argue about technicalities, as they seem to do but one cannot say that its a surprise in either case.

14. Pavlos Prince of Greece 24 Mar 2013, 5:35pm

Come to England’s to protest against French law, to name himself “protectors of republican marriage”, perhaps they are for religious (Catholic) marriage only, with current (Napoleonic) form of Civic Code in the hands, perhaps in they minds exist only one book (happily, “read Bible” is not very appropriate in French political discurs), and call they action “manifestation for all”, perhaps its manifestation against all, who disagree with Catholic Church. Its logic of “commedia dell’arte”. Even with location: “Defenders of Napoleonic Code” at the Trafalgar Square.

15. Why the hell are French bigots coming here to protest?
    Are they scared that they have no support in their own country and have to tour to spread their bullsh*t?

This should be a warning to all, right-wing extremists are growing throughout Europe. The Nazi party started off like this, then got a maniac in power through manipulation of the press and public. Germany was a great place full of freedom and diversity before the Nazis riled up tensions and warped the public opinion through fear and ignorance.

And now we see the same happening with homophobic laws being adopted in former soviet nations, rampant Islamophobia, vociferous “Christian” opinions trying to influence public opinion and government, nationalist opinions being expressed in government, right-wingers being elected, dictatorships taking control of the democratic process in Europe…

Do not underestimate the power of public manipulation and fear. We have to watch this closely.

1. Dave North 24 Mar 2013, 6:17pm

Its the Christian way.

They have to spread there bullshit message.

Their God told them so.

The bible told them so.

I cannot describe how much I hate these people.

They are NOT Christians.

They are simple idiots brainwashed as children misinterpreting that bloody book of bile into whatever suits there own prejudices.

1. Dave North, there you go spouting your anti-Christian hate again. You can be Christian and gay you know. Seriously Dave you need to sort out your anger issues and take a deep breath before you continue to post your hating comments all over Pink News.

1. Dave North 25 Mar 2013, 7:32am

Once the cults butt out of my life my problem will be solved.

Until that day I will call these cults out for what they are.

2. Spam buster 24 Mar 2013, 8:21pm

As this is your first comment, we need to confirm your email address. Please check your email inbox!

As mentioned by numerous people sort out your childhood issues once and for all. Christophobic bigot

1. Dave North 25 Mar 2013, 7:34am

Stick your god up your arse

2. dave north 25 Mar 2013, 7:37am

Bigot?

I am not the one at a rally attempting to interfere in others rights.

You can look closer to home if you want to badge someone as a bigot mate

16. Lukefromcanada 24 Mar 2013, 5:54pm

my earlier comment seems to have disappeared. the claim that there was no warning is bogus, Hollande campaigned on it and there was a lengthy consultation in England

1. Lukefromcanada 24 Mar 2013, 5:55pm

of course now I see it hasn’t disappeared

2. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Mar 2013, 7:04pm

Yes indeed, Luke. The UK had a very extensive, involved public consultation and importantly some very rigorous debate in Parliament and in-depth probing in several committee hearings, arguably more than any other country in this regard. These hate-mongers are just desperate people trying to spin anything out of proportion with total disregard of the facts. They are losing and they know it. After France passes equal marriage into law on April 2nd, I suspect it will dampen British opponents’ spirits when they realise that all the campaigning was a total waste of time and resources.

17. Julian Morrison 24 Mar 2013, 6:06pm

We had the British version of these lovely folks leafleting our town yesterday; I told them to go take their homophobia somewhere else. They weren’t having much luck, which didn’t surprise me; French or British they’re pissing into the wind on this one, because the public on both sides of the channel supports equal marriage.

Also, people being all “rarr, French people”, no, you don’t get a free pass on xenophobia. They aren’t wrong because they’re French, they’re wrong because they’re bigots. From anywhere.

18. Actually primarily they were protesting against the French laws

19. The organisers reckon there were 1.4 million anti-gay marriage and adoption protesters in Paris today and yet the police said there were about 300,000 lmao!

20. Shame that PinkNews did not plug this protest better…it could have done with more support!

21. I’m bothered by the fact that gay people, our friends, our families, our supporters and people who simply support justice, fairness and equality can’t muster a MASSIVE counter demonstration. If our friends were as passionate and motivated as our enemies we would have won this fight LONG ago!

1. Because why should we waste our time dealing with knuckdraggers of society who still haven’t discovered we’re actually in the 21st Century and not living in the Stone Age!

2. Hayden,

Perhaps you don’t see this, but every one of us who now live our lives as out gay men and women and bisexual and so on, are a living daily protest. We don’t need to wave banners in the face of the already harassed and public, we have the support of the majority of UK law makers and that’s what’s important.

I did my fair share of protesting in the earlier days and have the criminal convictions to go with it. I learnt a long time ago that living as an out gay man in what was then a homophobic town was a far better form of protest than standing in the rain trading insults with those who are so blinded by hate that they’re unlikely to ever see love and kindness.

To those who did go and protest on all our behalves, I wish you all well and thank you.

3. Spanner1960 24 Mar 2013, 11:32pm

Trying to motivate gay people to do anything is like trying to herd cats.
      They really don’t give a toss about putting themselves out for anybody.

22. I was there, it was a great atmosphere, although did get a bit too anti-french for me. Coupla my friends went up there with the pride flags behind the stage on the column next to all the really questionably placed children with political banners.

Feel like we put up a good amount of noise to their rubbish.

23. Fighting for the future of marriage!!! So are we, but notice that we’re more open about it. Don’t interfere with British affairs. If you don’t like it you can va te faire foutre retour chez vous, vous mottes stupides!

24. DivusAntinous 24 Mar 2013, 8:18pm

What? Gosh I wish I’d known this was gonna happen.

25. dorset bob 24 Mar 2013, 8:44pm

Just been looking at the photos of the protest, how dare they claim to be looking out for their childrens rights when they drag them to london on a freezing day to shout hatred about a subject of which they know nothing ! theyre just kids for flips sake. the parents using them in this way should be ashamed of themselves.

26. Where were the 600,000 people who signed the C4M petition? Sounds like the anti SSM group in the UK aren’t so bothered by the bill as they claim to be.

The independent reports the top billing speaker for the antis was Alan Craig, where was dumpy Anne Widdicombe and dried up old Colin Hart? Where were all those homophobic bigotted Tories like Burrowes and Loughton?

Perhaps they hate the French more than the gays.

1. This was a French protest primarily concerning French law…

It seemed to have been advertised among the French community living in London as a response to the situation in their home country.

As far as I can see from the organizers’ website, it had very little — if nothing — to do with the current bill being read in the UK Parliament.

1. This was adevertised in the British christian website as a joint protest against the French AND the UK SSM bills. The adverts in the UK websites were to British protestors against the British bill NOT the French bill. Alan Craig is a British politician (admittedly pretty useless one) . If you read the independant it has quotes from British protestors against the British SSM bill

27. If only all this ‘loving christian’ effort was put into solving Third World povertry ….

28. Hundreds of thousands of homophobes have been protesting in Paris aswell. This is what Anne Widdecombe was calling for to happen in the UK! Though, only “hundreds” marched in London and many of them were French. Perhaps Widdecombe would like to p!ss off to France now and join her papist child-abusing bigots. The far-right is much stronger in France than in the UK. Shame on them (the far-right French, not the French in general). Perhaps they would have preferred the UK to have sacrificed them to Hitler.

29. Did we see these type of protests when it was uncovered that the Catholic Church had been a recruitment organisation and hiding place for paedophiles??? NO! They don’t mind paedophiles all that much, but gay people…we’re the worst abomination that ever existed to them! Disgusting, VILE, inhuman BIGOTS. They’d rather be members of a club that molests their kids, but they wouldn’t want a gay couple as their neighbours.

1. Sister Mary Clarence 25 Mar 2013, 4:25am

I agree with you. I think the real BIG issue for the church is that so many of the clergy think its okay to interfere with and/or molest children. The church need to regain a little (a lot) of its own morality before it starts to preach morals to others, and it seems to be a long way from doing that at the moment, with wave after wave of scandal rocking it all around the world.

The hypocrisy of it all just beggars belief, but of course they seem to be oblivious to it.

30. Gay is the new black – the religious right have to have something to get their supporters off their arses. It does not matter what they say and what they do, marriage equality is not only inevitable it is coming soon. No silly protests like this will ever amount to anything more than a token action. I would have gone but I worked a 12hr shift overnight – I would have loved to be there. But make no mistake, and I appreciate everyone from our side who went, it won’t make any difference now. People have … evolved. Finally, not soon enough, but they have, and we have won, society has won.

31. Shit, I was going to go to that counter protest and forgot :-(

32. Usually UKIP or BNP members would froth at the mouth over the sight of other nationalities having a say on issues that affect the UK, but they will have no problem with these French protesters (or any nationality) protesting against equal rights for LGBT people or equal marriage. I’ve noticed that when it comes to Muslims, right wingers who are otherwise vociferously anti-European all of a sudden talk about how proud they are to be European and make comments like “this continent needs saving from the Islamic threat” (I’ve seen individual
    Mail posters do this by clicking on their username and then looking at their message history). Basically if there’s a common “enemy”, as long as you’re both white and heterosexual, any xenophobic feelings you have are temporarily forgotten when it comes to the far-right.

33. Spanner1960 24 Mar 2013, 11:27pm

I really don’t think running around Trafalgar Square with one’s tits out is going to help our cause whatsoever.

34. It seems that they’re mostly horrified by the idea of gay adoption.

In which case they’re 11 years late for England. News clearly takes a while to travel to France.

Would have loved to have turned up to the counter-protest but unfortunately developed a cold overnight and thought standing in a freezing square would not help. It’s probably not that good for all the kids they’re trying to ‘protect’ either.

On a different note, I have noticed that many of the protesters are wearing clothes of different fabrics together. If they’d bothered to read more than 1 line of the book they hold so close to their hearts they’d realise that this is banned by God.

35. Dave North 25 Mar 2013, 7:03am

Family values disaster in Paris as anti-gay protesters attack police, use kids as human shields.

How very christian of them!

36. Damien Fournier commented “There has been no warning or consultation with the people.”

Well, I don’t know about France, but there has been plenty of consultation here in the UK.

I prefer the way the French have gone about it. President Hollande said he wanted to introduce and introduce it he has. He has not pandered to the religious bigots like they have here and I applaud him for that.

37. de Villiers 25 Mar 2013, 9:20am

I am against the protests in Trafalgar square but people here are being stupid and xenophobic. English people are as welcome to demonstrate in France and French people are in England.

Human rights which include the freedom to demonstrate are not limited to nationality. I was in France with English friends in the demonstration for the gay marriage Paris. I know French and other European friends who marched in the anti-war demonstration in London before the Iraq war.

That is the nature of solidarity. English people can demonstrate in Israel for the Palestinians or in countries with fewer rights for gay people. The right to protest even in a foreign country does not have to depend upon the cause being just. Otherwise there could be no demonstrations where the state disagreed with the cause.

People need to stop mixing the issue of people being anti-gay and being against the anti-gay demonstration with the issues of proper demonstration, solidarity and nasty xenophobia.