US: Bill to lift ban on HIV positive organ donation passes Senate committee

1. Staircase2 22 Mar 2013, 2:20am

Given what I thought we knew about potential routes of transmission of additional strains of HIV from one positive person to another how is this a good idea?

I’m not heartened by the (it) “would allow researchers to study the safety of such practice”…

Wouldn’t it make sense to do that BEFORE doing it…? Or am I missing something here…?

1. Captain Proton 22 Mar 2013, 7:15am

It is kind of difficult to study a phenomenon without observing it.
      but I agree, this does not sound well thought out.

People with HIV often have a bunch of other ailments running through their system, so these organ receivers may end up with far more problems than they bargained for.

2. I’m also pretty sure that superinfections are more of a terrifying theory than anything else. Not enough samples and not enough ways to test it I think.

2. Jock S. Trap 22 Mar 2013, 10:06am

This is great news and one I think Should be campaigned for and adopted here in the UK

1. ChrisSouthlondon 22 Mar 2013, 11:09am

I agree, this could potentially save lives both in the States & also here in the UK. Matching involving drug resistance, HIV Type (HIV 1 or 2) & sub-type essential, but workable in my view.

1. Jock S. Trap 22 Mar 2013, 4:00pm

Indeed and also it would help all waiting for an organ donor. By opening up HIV organs to HIV patients, many of whom need organs after the harsh medication etc, it would help in general the list of people waiting.

I know if this was available here I would myself become a donor, if I knew it would help someone prolong their life.

I would still like to see a set of rules so that the organ goes to those best to look after it after all it is a very special gift and a for those giving a very sad time for family and friends.

3. christopher 22 Mar 2013, 5:07pm

hmmm, not sure i fully would agree this is a good idea, i think the usa should first look at the issue for hiv patients to enter the usa and solve that instead as that is still not as easy as its made out, being hiv+ myself i know the risks of changing things and having a lower immune system i dont think having a implant coming from a body with the same issue would significantly increase the risk of rejection.
    love to see more on this debate in the USA