US: Montana debates ending gay sex ban 16 years after ruling it unconstitutional

1. OMG, I realise that there are some backward places in the US, but what I didn’t realise is that there are still places where homosexuality is illegal! Is Montana the only US state still to decriminalise homosexuality?

1. GulliverUK 19 Mar 2013, 5:44pm

Many US states only joined the rest of the modern world in 2003. It was an uncivilised barren wasteland before then :)

^ at least partly true :D

1. Excuse me, how dare you call Montana a wasteland, watch your mouth stupid.

1. W/e i can get as many dislike as people want to give me, At least i don’t refer to the state of Montana as a uncivilized wasteland because its not, that very disrespectful. You don’t now what your talking about , your ignorant especially your comment underneath by referring to americans as hicks and hillbillies, what wrong with you. W/e im not going give you my time its beneath me.

1. Sam, I realise that not everyone in Montana is bigoted. The majority probably are, but there are probably very many people who are very progressive. I’m sure Gulliver realises that too. Northern Ireland is the same – unfortunately the majority of politicians are bigoted, but there’s a large minority who support marriage equality. I hate it then when everyone in Northern Ireland is assumed to be bigoted, so I understand why you’re annoyed. Ignore my remarks responding to Gulliver’s post below – I wasn’t being serious and I realise that it could be offensive if you’re living in Montana.

2. LOL. in my post to Sam I am trying to understand why he is upset and also apologised if anything I have said has contributed to him feeling upset. Yet, I get ‘thumbs down’. Anyone can thumb me down if they wish. My post was sincere and genuine and as objective as possible, that’s all that matters.

2. GulliverUK 20 Mar 2013, 5:12am

Note to self;

1. remember that people from the US read these comments and also try to remember that some of what they find funny – we Brits don’t get, and some of what we find funny – they don’t get :(

2. try to contain your extrovert nature and write without looking like you’re attempting to win a Pulitzer when you can’t even get published in Farmers Weekly !

3. Give Sam I am some points. Done. :)

1. LOL. I’ll give you a thumbs up Gulliver! It felt like walking on eggshells on here yesterday!

2. Because the US Supreme Court ruled in 2003 that such laws are unconstitutional, the Montana law is unenforcible. There are several states that still have these laws on the books, but as I said they are unenforcible. It goes without saying that all these states are “red” states.

1. GulliverUK 20 Mar 2013, 5:00am

Very confusing to us Brits – red = Labour here, blue = Conservative,

but red = Conservative in the US, with blue for Democrats (bit like our Labour).

2. GulliverUK 19 Mar 2013, 5:41pm

There would never be any prosecution against a same-sex couple based on this code, because even the Montana Supreme Court held the state law unconstitutional. But the fact that it’s on the books, that they have no hate crime law, that there are no LGBT protections at all, makes this the arse-end of the USA, the unwashed armpit, the place nobody want to be by choice, a place where civilising influences haven’t yet reached. It’s just a place for hicks and hillbillys.

The sooner they do this the rejoin the rest of the civilised human race the better for them. If not, use it in place of Nevada as a nuclear test site ! :D

1. If the effects of a nuclear weapon could be confined within Montana, then why not just drop one on it if it doesn’t change its laws.

1. Evacuate LGBT people first, of course!

2. I wasn’t being serious about dropping a nuclear weapon on Montana! Sorry to any LGBT or pro-LGBT person living in Montana!

2. They’ve kept it on the books solely to intimidate gays and lesbians (although how many lesbians do you think have ever been arrested under sodomy laws?).

3. Hmmm anti americanism does it look good on you GulliverUK.

1. GulliverUK 20 Mar 2013, 4:57am

The clue to when I’m not being entirely serious is that :D at the end ! Being anti-anybody doesn’t usually look good on any human being — not even being anti-fundamentalist Evangelical Christian, because I’m sure there are some who support LGBT people and equal marriage whilst simultaneously holding the view that the Bible is the inerrant word of God — but somehow, oddly, holds the view that these teachings shouldn’t be forced on non-believers or people of different faiths, and shouldn’t suppress their civil and human rights.

I loath some people for what I think is a very intolerant backwards dangerous and damaging attitude to us, and am in absolute awe of many of the LGBT groups and advocates in the US – I follow literally hundreds of LGBT feeds from the US (twitter, RSS, facebook, Google+). Look at the It Gets Better campaign, or the marriage equality campaigns. They are very inspiring. Awesome !

4. I don’t even understamd why there is stillna debate about this issue. It’s been a decade since Lawrence v. Texas which ruled all such laws unconstitutional. Do legislators in Montana not have any respect for the constitution? It was only a week or so ago that Virginia officially removed statute. The people of Montana and other such states deserve better. Much better.

1. Sorry for the typos. On my cellphone. Agh.

2. They be proud bigots.

5. Wait, how does that work exactly?

“This law is unconstitutional, it’s against the constitution. You can’t have this law. Get rid of it”
    “Don’t wanna!”

I thought that was what “unconstitutional” meant anyway.

6. GulliverUK 20 Mar 2013, 4:43am

To Sam I am

I’m sorry you took offence at my comments and would like to apologise.

I wasn’t being entirely serious in what I said further up the page, but my slightly devilish sense of humor isn’t always obvious – because I can be serious (very) and frivolous (occasionally) and if I don’t make it really clear — it could be difficult to tell.

So, sorry. I’m sure Montana is lovely. In fact, I was the Chief of the Montana tribe .. when I was about 10, in the school play, an had a very sex outfit !

What I was really getting at is the legislator there, in not repealing this offensive, but totally useless law, did seek to intimidate gay people by leaving it on the statute books, and for no other reason.

And yes I’ve been to the US (Las Vegas), and I like it, and I like Americans, and I’ve worked for US companies, and I think the US and UK are very much alike in many ways.

I just wanted to poke some fun at the legislator in Montana. Friends?

1. Its 6 a.m. on 4-4-13 New York time, Just reading this because i saved the conversation on my Mac. I was about to delete it when i saw this. Sorry i called you stupid, Your not stupid you just said a mean thing which you didn’t mean. I forgive you :) Yes friends. Find me on Facebook if you want Drian Camino if you want to really be my friend. lol.

7. This is the thing Christians/Islamists don’t get. The story of sodom and Gomorrah was about rape, not sexual positions. Why do they keep saying sexual relations are heading into sodom and Gomorrah?
    Besides not all gay people do mentioned sexual positions anyways. Calm ya tits!!

8. I never knew Montana was so backward – is it known as The Dark Ages State? They better get their act together fast and banish this appalling inequality or they will be the laughing stock of the civilised world. Do they ban inter-racial marriage too? Do their women have the vote yet? Do they have electricity?

9. Gay Activist Paul Mitchell 20 Mar 2013, 11:00am

Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Florida, Texas, Kansas, Tennessee, Minnesota, Okahoma, MontanaAlabama, Georgia and Arkansas still have sodomy laws on there books – even though 10 years ago the SCOTUS in 2003 (under Lawrence v Texas)

Yes you have heard right – 3 blue states of Minnesota, Massachusetts and Maryland still have the sodomy laws on there books!

All these states STILL have sodomy law, (oral sex bans and anal sex bans) on there law books – that is a lot of US states yet to REPEAL the sodomy laws!

Not just for gay couples as well in some too!;:

Florida, Michigan and Mississippi still have cohabitation bans for opposite sex couples as well!