London: Trans woman told to use New Look changing facilities ‘out of hours’

1. I don’t see why the changing facilities can’t be uni-sex? An attendant is usually there anyway to protect people.

1. If you haven’t read between the lines of what they were saying, they didn’t want a “man” using the female facilities to “protect” Muslim fanatics and their strict gender separation. They’re hardly going to have unisex toilets when they pander to them.

This is a clear breach of the Equality Act and their response simply confirms that was what they were actively trying to do. Sue the ******* for every penny.

1. I don’t think they are not letting her use the changing rooms for Muslim’s sake. That was just an example where they’ve made other people feel comfortable by letting them change out of hours at their request.

The problem is this woman didn’t want to change out of hours – she wants to change when SHE wants to – it’s disgusting she was denied this & watched like a hawk. WTF did they think she was going to do?!

2. Christopher in Canada 19 Mar 2013, 11:46pm

I agree. Change rooms for humans. PERIOD. Get over this stupid gender crap!

2. Well thats in breach of the equalities act 2010 ,she should sue

3. Leeze Lawrence 19 Mar 2013, 7:03pm

I’ll be testing this policy out, as an activist I doubt that the store would stop me using the facilities.

1. GulliverUK 20 Mar 2013, 5:56am

Oh Leeze, LMAO.

Do you approach people with a sign saying. “STAND BACK. ACTIVIST APPROACHING !”.

Good luck, let us know if you get any trouble, we can come around and help beat them up – although you sound like you’ll be just fine.

4. as Helen said that is breaking the equalities act that every comapny has to follow.
    If I was her I’d never shop at any first look store(s) again

5. thelostdot 19 Mar 2013, 7:24pm

I have used new Look changing rooms. I am transsexual. By law they must not discriminate.

6. The store is in Brixton. Is it an area where there is majority of black and/or Muslim people living and working there? Perhaps the staff have particular religious beliefs. Whether or not that’s the case, the police should be involved as there has been a breach of the Equality Act. I suppose the woman has to report the incident to the police before they can become involved.

1. If the person giving thumbs down to my post, and also to John’s post above, disagrees with us mentioning Muslims perhaps they could explain why they disagree.

7. I’m a manager at a new look store in the midlands, being gay myself I always go out of my way to ensure transgender women have a positive shopping experience. i also work hard to ensure all my staff, understand that transgender people have the right to be treated equally. I’m deeply disappointed that this happened somewhere in my company and just hope that we don’t all get tarred with the same dirty brush.

8. I’m a manager at a new look store in the midlands, being gay myself I always go out of my way to ensure transgender women have a positive shopping experience. i also work hard to ensure all my staff, understand that transgender people have the right to be treated equally. I’m deeply disappointed that this happened somewhere in my company and just hope that we don’t all get tarred with the same dirty brush.

1. Q, are staff trained in equality issues? I’m just wondering how this has managed to happen in a major high-street store. Retail staff have an obligation to comply to the Equality Act, so I am assuming that is discussed with new employees, all employees actually, during training. However, I could be mistaken and perhaps that is a reason why this situation has occurred in the Brixton store.

1. GulliverUK 20 Mar 2013, 5:52am

I seriously doubt most retail operations, clothing, hospitality, etc., spend very much time at all on this type of training – which is why we occasionally see breeches. But I’m willing to put it down to lack of training here, rather than intended malice – they did allow her to use the changing facilities, and their explanation about trying to provide out-of-hours appointments for a few groups who might appreciate that, sounds genuine and logical.

Don’t think we need to get out our pitchforks and build that bonfire just yet ! :D

ps. I’m a contractor. In my current position I’ve been there 6) months and had zero training in any HR-style issues or company policy of any type whatsoever, and this is at an exceptionally well-known company.

1. Gulliver, some of these companies are wealthy enough to afford training for their employees, especially if their business is in the provision of goods and services to the public. There are other companies that could be contracted to cover the training requirements. We might not need to get our pitchforks out just yet, but they could benefit from a little prod on the back to help them get their act together.

1. I wish you were right. I have terrible trouble with the NHS when myself & my partner have dealings with them for our son (hospitals not GP’s). Surely they can afford training or did all the muppets we deal with bunk off that day?!

9. Christine Beckett 19 Mar 2013, 10:30pm

Hard to know what to say. We don’t know the people involved.

However, to comment on some of he thumbs downs above, it’s certainly true that some ethnic and religious groups DO have a problem with LGBT people. And that problem seems to be a major one in some parts of London

I found that myself in a supermarket in Wimbledon town centre last year. I reported it and the staff member was, I was later told, identified and sent for diversity training. Given she was from an ethnic minority background, it seemed odd she should require such training.

But to paraphrase Commander Sam Vimes.. Just because someone is a member of an ethnic or religious minority, doesn’t mean they CAN’T be an unpleasant little bigot.

1. Is it wrong that I find myself thinking of something Vimes said several times a day?

10. New look clothing; old look transphobia – which, unfortunately, has never gone out of fashion.

1. If the company fails to prevent this happening again they could use the advertising slogan “New Look. Old Values.” (and I’m not talking about monetary values!).

11. postopgirl 21 Mar 2013, 9:35am

Probably not only store chain to do this, but is illegal in 2013, wasn’t there supposed to be customer services legislation on this, I was refused facilities by a store once, prior to that legislation and the company’s lawyers justified their clients action based on the law at the time. I was assured that the sex discrimination ammendments of 2008 were simply copied in to the Equality Act 2010